180gr Accubond Recovered From Red Stag

We used the 180g NBTs for around 10-15 years and probably close to 100 elk, before nosler came out with the 200g ABs and I switched everyone over to it just for the added penetration insurance up close, and the added BC for longer range up there which is typical. The 180g NBTs still worked every time though from 100-800 yards from the 300 Win Mags. We only found a few bullets under the offside hide, the rest always exited. I always said the heavier for caliber NBTs are excellent deer and elk killers. Better than a lot of people think really...

We used the 180g NBTs for around 10-15 years and probably close to 100 elk, before nosler came out with the 200g ABs and I switched everyone over to it just for the added penetration insurance up close, and the added BC for longer range up there which is typical. The 180g NBTs still worked every time though from 100-800 yards from the 300 Win Mags. We only found a few bullets under the offside hide, the rest always exited. I always said the heavier for caliber NBTs are excellent deer and elk killers. Better than a lot of people think really...
Totally agree about the 180 BT. One of the great 30 caliber bullets out there.

A great buddy in Idaho uses them exclusively from a 300 Wby. His pile of animals taken with them is very impressive. You couldn't make him swap bullets.

@TXbaldhunter as someone who likes the 308 Norma Magnum what is your load with the 180 gr AB and what kind of rifle do you have?
I have two,one is built off a Ruger 77 Tang Safety with a 26" Shaw barrel.The other is a Remington 700 with a 26" Hart barrel.They both shoot about the same.The 308 Norma Mag brass I have is way softer than any brass I've ever used.I have to load a grain or two less with the Norma or I get loose primer pockets.I have used necked up Winchester,Remington and Nosler 7mag brass and have never had one loose primer pockets with those brass even at heavier charges.I've had loads that have been a little over 3100fps with the 180's,but the Norma brass usually maxes out around 3050fps,so I've kinda kept that as my max.Here are some of my loads.The WXR is supposed to be the same as Reloader 22,just different lots.The numbers like 2.750 are comparator lengths.The Accubonds and Ballistic Tips shoot the same point of impact.

Last edited:
Nice, the speed and accuracy sure is there! WXR/ RL22 sure is working well for you. Hard to beat the AccuBond and Ballistic Tip for all around use.

When I had my 308 Norma it had a 24" barrel. I used the 180 gr Speer Mag Tip with IMR 4350 and necked down W-W 338 WM brass for about the same speed as you are getting. MRP was a stand out with the 200 gr Speer G.S. and 220 gr Partition, Used Norma 308 Norma brass for those. Had a load with the 180 gr Partition Gold Nosler used to make, probably used IMR 4350 too for that one.

Too bad they discontinued WXR as it is a good performer.
I borrowed load data from DrMike and have great results with it in my 300 WSM;
69.5 gr in WW cases, with WLMR primers, and 180 gr AccuBonds produces 2978 fps (SD of 7) and 0.442" groups @ 100 yards from my rifle with a 23 1/2" barrel.
Has accounted for wolf, black bear, and a number of moose and elk over the years.

Back