2013 Nevada Cow Elk Hunt

...you need to start thinking about where they're getting water, Jake. They've got to drink every day, usually using the highest source they can find, generally in between feeding & bedding areas...

wildgene":3snwm8y4 said:
...you need to start thinking about where they're getting water, Jake. They've got to drink every day, usually using the highest source they can find, generally in between feeding & bedding areas...

There's enough snow they are probly just eating snow for water.

super-7":g1jt8xt4 said:
wildgene":g1jt8xt4 said:

There's enough snow they are probly just eating snow for water.

Gene,

I have check the creek and it's froze over there are a few tracks to it but nothing to speak of the ice is thick enough to support a 3/4 ton truck with a cummins in it.

Super-7,

Exactly what I've been thinking. I've seen cows do the same in fact there was one year where I didn't pump water for 60 head for two weeks and they survived we had 30" of snow that year.

Jake

Vince":xqublx4u said:
nvbroncrider":xqublx4u said:
No Charlie that's the summer range. Still too much feed and not enough snow to drive them into the flats. The crested wheat grass up there is still 2.5-3 ft tall. And if you look there's still green grass up there.

David no doubt. Them darn critters act just like brahma cross cattle. They see ya stick there neck up lift there tail and away they go. Watching cattle is the only thing that got me to see the elk I've seen this year. Looking for something outta place. I actually kinda impressed myself spotting the cows I saw with my naked eye at a mile and a half. For cows that are red or black I generally can pick them out at 3 miles but the elk blend in so much better. It's almost frightening how they blend in.

Sorry about sidetracking your thread.
Your mention of Normandy got me to thinking about some of my family. As for elk, spotting cows helps to train your eye. I really believe that. Break out the spotting scope and use the Arizona Technique: Glass, Glass, and Glass some more. :grin: When you covered every inch of ground glass it again.

Now if that fails drive in to town and go to the local Hardware Store. Buy every big screwjack they have. Then take them to the nearest mountain but before you do that put a net at the base of the mountain on the opposite side. Then start cranking on those screwjacks. Eventually you'll upend the mountain and everything will tumble in to your net. You'll have your elk, the neighbor's cows, a Basque Sheepherder, 23 sheep, a Border Collie, and a rabbit or two. :grin:

Vince

No problem Vince pretty neat story. It's not sheep country like it used to be. You have a few here and there but it's 98% cattle now. Glassing is the only way to hunt this country looking for something that just doesn't fit in.

Jake

Jake
I have heard nothing more about your elk hunt. Is the season over, do any good?

Bill,

No good got out a couple more days saw a few more critters but never did get anywhere close to shooting range. Then with the area I was in I wasn't just gonna shoot one to get one. We'd been packing a long ways out and would of had one heck of a climb. Sometimes it is a little wiser to pass them up. However if I'd had a bull tag and it was a 400 class bull I'm dang sure I'd of pulled the trigger no matter how hard I had to work to get him out.

Jake

Jake you are absolutely right, I have passed on game a number of times as you would have to eat it there or use a helicopter to get it out. But again like you said there is a certain time you just have to pull the trigger :wink:.
Thanks for the update and hope that you are wintering well :)?

Blessings,
Dan

Thanks jake
To bad about the hunt, but I am sure you learned a lot. Couple of questions, that was anterless, hunt is that correct.? Do you have to use PP for those hunts in Nevada.? I have 6 Nevada PP and will be looking to draw a bull tag in a couple of years. I have been looking hard at that country south and west of Ely.

Back