270 Win vs Black Bear 2015

LD375":itzbbjky said:
Man, that's an awesome bear Gerry! (y) ..Congrats buddy :) ..I have a hunt booked for September, I can't wait for another bear :)

Lou

Hope you can connect buddy, I would imagine you will take the 375 H&H but do know you have a gorgeous 7mm Rem Mag that would probably like to get out ;)

6mm Remington":itzbbjky said:
Great write-up Gerry that really makes me want to get out this Friday!! Hard to believe that little old .270 put him down! :lol: I would have to say I too love your choice of scope. The 6x36 and 6x42 Leupold are my two favorites!!!

David

I hope you go out David and get a nice bear, you certainly have some very nice bears in your state.

Yep those 6x Leupold's are really nice scopes would love a 6x42 Leupold or maybe even a Meopta in the same 6x42 version for the next scope. Been very happy with my two 6x36's and 8x40 AO Leupold's.

Great to see so many 270 Win fans out there, this is actually my first animal with a 270 but definitely won't be the last. I ignored the round for a long time but eventually came to realize it was the perfect round for a lot of my hunting, glad I gave it a whirl.

Great hunt Gerry! That's too danged cool that you used the 160 PT! That combo would be a good one for a ton of stuff up in your area. Another 270 fan here and the CDL is a great rifle.

Hog of a bear as well. What a great trophy.

Oh, Another late comer fan to the 6x42 Leupold.. It is slowly winning me over quite alot. I can see more of them in the future.

Awesome story and pictures. Congratulations! Thanks for sharing. Do you have an idea of what age it was and what it might have weighed?

Dan

gerry the 270win strikes again :wink:. Good job my friend thank you for the adventure and the photos. I am sure some fine sausage is going to be gracing your dinner table real soon (y)!!

Blessings,
Dan

SJB358":1cjt5bwc said:
Great hunt Gerry! That's too danged cool that you used the 160 PT! That combo would be a good one for a ton of stuff up in your area. Another 270 fan here and the CDL is a great rifle.

Hog of a bear as well. What a great trophy.

Oh, Another late comer fan to the 6x42 Leupold.. It is slowly winning me over quite alot. I can see more of them in the future.

The 160 gr PT obviously performed well and is a great choice here like you say. Would dearly love to bust a moose this fall with one...... Really liking both the CDL and the 270 Win, should have bought one long ago.

NYDAN":1cjt5bwc said:
Awesome story and pictures. Congratulations! Thanks for sharing. Do you have an idea of what age it was and what it might have weighed?

Dan

Dan I have no idea on the age but it was a mature boar as for weight it is hard to say but it was really heavy when I tried to move it. I'm going to guess somewhere around 300 lbs give or take since he was so fat already. Could be wrong but that is my best estimate.

sask boy":1cjt5bwc said:
gerry the 270win strikes again :wink:. Good job my friend thank you for the adventure and the photos. I am sure some fine sausage is going to be gracing your dinner table real soon (y)!!

Blessings,
Dan

Just butchered it all up tonight and it is sitting in our spare fridge, going to get some sausages made and I saved some roasts for the Dutch oven. On Saturday I'll freeze the roasts, should have aged enough by then.

muleman":1cjt5bwc said:
Nice bear Gerry! I love that "Uh Oh" picture. Glad it ended well.

Scott

That picture is pretty funny, we just couldn't ignore it at that point anymore I guess :lol:

Nice work Gerry on bringing home a nice blackie and even better to have Maria share the experience. Yup. The 270Win is a favorite of mine and it's nice to see you join the ranks. It's the calibre of choice for our next blackie but when you see me in a couple of weeks I'll be sporting the 375Ruger. Nice photos . . . the snow is a little heavier than I thought given the year but hopefully things change over the next two weeks so a higher elevation hunt in the slides and subalpine is doable. Enjoy the bear meat. . . a favorite in my household!

It has warmed up so the timing should be perfect for your grizzly hunt the snow will start melting fast up high now. It will be good to see you and your nephew again and check out the old stomping grounds. You still loading the 260 gr AccuBond?

When your boy is ready to hunt bears I'm sure the 270 will deliver for him........

Just dialed the 260 AB's in this am and they are good to go. Had no time to work up a load with 300gr DGX's. Kaden did some fine shooting again with the 270 . . . would love to see him connect.

BCbillies":jhs0nnkc said:
Just dialed the 260 AB's in this am and they are good to go. Had no time to work up a load with 300gr DGX's. Kaden did some fine shooting again with the 270 . . . would love to see him connect.

Great, those will do the trick. It would be awesome to see Kayden connect on a blackie this spring.

Nice job Gerry.

I gotta get my ass out and find the cinnamon bear from last year that was a little small then.

Back