.375 bullet test: 260 AB

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
You knew it was bound to happen... I had to slay some water-filled milk jugs with the .375 H&H... It was 108 degrees at the range today, and milk jugs died in the heat! Water evaporated before I got the split jugs cleaned up!

I've got to tell you - seeing that 260 grainer slam the jugs at 20 yards was impressive! I had 12 jugs lined up, and it was one dramatic hit! Water and jug shrapnel burst wildly. Loved it! What an impact....

Okay to the results...
260 grain AccuBond loaded to 2650 fps, a middle-of-the-road load
20 yards to the water-filled plastic milk jugs - same as I used for most of the .45/70 & .25-06 tests last year

The AccuBond was recovered from the 7th jug. It weighed 179 grains and measured .83" diameter at the widest.

IMG_1391.jpg

IMG_1387.jpg

IMG_1385.jpg

IMG_1395.jpg

I've heard this one is dandy for elk, moose and bear. After seeing the results, I can believe it. Am not one to worship at the alter of weight retention, but it is interesting. I do like to see an expanding bullet expand. This doggone Nosler certainly expanded! It penetrated as well as the better .45/70 loads, and expanded well. With the accuracy I've seen already, it is a pretty impressive choice. At this point I also have a few 270 grain Barnes TSX's and quite a few 300 grain Sierras waiting to be tested. Right now though, I'm back inside, enjoying the air conditioning and a cool Alaskan Amber.

Regards, Guy

Now we need someone to test it in the .378Wby ;)
I am awaiting my Euromark to arrive and have some 300gr AB, so might have to set up a test.

Guy,

Thanks for braving the elements of heat to test a bullet. Very impressive results indeed. Makes one wonder why you would need the 300 gr AB.
You deserve another Alaskan Amber. :lol:

JD338

Thanks guys. Yes, the first three jugs were pretty much just shredded bits of plastic... It was a very dynamic impact... :shock:

Ya just got to love those big boars. :grin:

JD338

Impressive results Guy.
Well I would like to say more but those Alaskan Ambers are quite deliscious and I have to go get some.

I have never shot water jugs (although that's a pretty good way to test a bullet) but I have brought 5 elk to eternity with the 260 gr. .375 AccuBond. It is as good as you hoped in your wildest dreams at taking elk down H.R.N. It is accurate and has penetrated over 48" thrue a rumen filled stomach to take out the heart and lungs. It has taken a Roosevelt elk at 25/30 yards with out even a nerve twitch and a .47 caliber hole. Almost no blood shot meat. It is the secret "ultimate weapon for elk and big bear" 375 RUM's the name, elk's the game" 8)
Sorry for pontificating but I believe in this caliber and bullet for bull elk and would trust nothing less.
Greg

Greg - I was smilin' when I read your comments! :grin: Thanks! Wish I'd taken 5 elk with mine... Maybe someday. A lot more rewarding than shooting silly milk jugs!

Guy, are you going to use that .375 for deer this year instead of the Bergers? Thanks for the post that is very pretty bullet fired and unfired.

Corey

Good luck finding one in a deer...you'd have to line three or four of them up! Maybe even end to end not side by side!

Back