Bunny Boots

Vince

Handloader
May 26, 2012
For those of you looking for the old military bunny boot Alaska Gear Company is in the process of testing their new prototype bunny boots.

You can’t get new military issue bunny boots so I’m hoping their design is a success. There are some design changes, improvements, and I wish them well.

Not an employee or anything just a bloke that likes to keep his feet warm.

Vince

Those things work amazingly well for protecting from the cold. Needed to change my socks often as they'd get soaked from perspiration.

Also - we'd strap skis to them... They're not rigid enough to be good ski boots. Worked okay for snowshoeing. And warm, real nice and warm. :)

I spent 4 weeks snowshoeing, hiking and camping in Eastern Oregon with students and we had a variety of the surplus boots. Temps reached down to -5 F. Those with the Black Mickeys would sometimes have cold feet. Those with the Bunny Boots did not.
I wore two pair of thin wool socks inside and was surprised to find my feet didn't get that sweaty. Less so even than in Sorel's I had worn on previous trips. I was able to wear the same socks everyday for 28 days. Dried them in my sleeping bag at night.
If they were not so heavy and clumsy to kick steps with, I'd buy some for anytime I was out in the snow. When we had to go up steeper hills, we would have the first person used an entrenching tool with the blade perpendicular to the handle like a hoe and scoop out steps for those behind.

Back