I have a confession...

375hh1973

Beginner
Mar 31, 2007
Was bored so I walked up to the local brew pub for a plate of wings and an IPA while watching some LSU/Alabama. Struck up a conversation with a fellow patron who was also wearing a camo ball cap. Turns out he is a rifle nut like most of us on here...

Anyway we started talking about all of the calibers we have owned, shot, etc... About half way in to our discussion it hit me like a ton of bricks!

I am 43 years old and have never fired a 30/30!!!

I have fired .505 Gibbs and 6.5-284 but never a 30/30. Go figure. My new friend was laughing and asking how was this possible. I had to stop and think. I only know 2 people who own one and never really have had an opportunity to shoot one. I have seen countless guys at the range with them but never asked to shoot one. I have fired lever guns in 7-30 waters, .356, .35rem, .444, .45-70, .308, .44 mag, .45 colt, and .243. But never .30/30. How odd is this???

Does anyone else on here have anything like this? I feel like Im missing out on something basic here.

Maybe I need to buy one.

Brian

Hard to comprehend how you've never fired the most common rifle cartridge in the entire Eastern U.S.... As far as only knowing two people with one....man, you need to hang out with a better class of people! Lol.

You should rectify this immediately.

Hi. My name is Mike and I've never fired a 30-30. .450 Marlin, .45-70, .375, .358, .356, .307 and multiple BLRs chambered in a rather wide variety of cartridges--but never a 30-30. Either it is very, very odd, Brian; or more common than we might imagine. I've fired many European cartridges and single shots chambered in a bewildering array of cartridges--but never a 30-30. Threatened to buy one once, but bought a .307 instead.

Hodgeman, it is time for us infidels to form a chapter of "30-30s anonymous." :oops: The first meeting with be on the third blue moon after the Labour Day weekend when moose season has been closed (except if the meeting falls on a day ending in "y.") :shock: All are welcome to meet in my living room, provided deer aren't rutting. :? That should help!

I'll take this an opposite direction....

I HAVE fired a 30-30. Not only have I fired one I have shot one in multiple platforms.

Winchester, mossberg, savage 99, and Marlin leverguns, a Remington and savage bolt actions, a H&R single shot rifle and even a 10" contender pistol! Growing up in Michigan it seemed like everyone had a 30-30 or two.

I guess we are all weird in our own way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I once owned one a Marlin 336 in 30-30 back in the 1960s and it was my first center fire rifle.
I sold it after I got my first 30-06 I just couldn't wrap my self around that rifle or the cartridge.

I was going to say that I had never fired a 30-30 either but I did once work up some loads for a friend's Contender. I shot a couple of rounds out of it. I haven't shot one in a Marlin or Winchester lever gun. I've shot a number of 32 Specials. They filled the 30-30 niche within my family and extended family.

Thebear_78":289o27to said:
I' Growing up in Michigan it seemed like everyone had a 30-30 or two.

Growing up in Eastern TN, everyone I knew had a 30-30. In fact, as a child I was only marginally aware that other cartridges existed and that was mainly from reading O'Connor in ancient dogeared copies of Outdoor Life at the barber shop... The little country store near my home had a sign that hung in it well into the 90s advertising 30-30 cartridges per the piece. It was THE deer rifle in archetype form. It isn't like that today, but it was that way for a long time there. No one argued 270 v. 30-06...it was Marlin 336 v Winchester 94!

Even though I haven't shot anything with my 30-30 in three decades...I still can't imagine life without one hanging around.

My first Big Game rifle was a Marlin 336 in 30-30! I bought it at K-mart, it was $149.95 but I had a coupon for $25 off, so the final cost was $124.95 plus tax! Talk about cheap, and the ammo, but that gun was very accurate! I could shoot the tops off a long neck bottle with it off hand at 50 yards!

I used that gun for at least 3-4 years until I bought a barely used Remington 700 30-06.

My baby!

icGW1wmm.jpg

UiisyUrm.jpg

DrMike":p9ssu1ie said:
Hodgeman, it is time for us infidels to form a chapter of "30-30s anonymous." :oops: The first meeting with be on the third blue moon after the Labour Day weekend when moose season has been closed (except if the meeting falls on a day ending in "y.") :shock: All are welcome to meet in my living room, provided deer aren't rutting. :? That should help!

Now that is funny !!!!

I would love to attend Dr Mike but we have a 32-40 and a 30-30

I remember the day the 32-40 was first introduced Cheyenne. Thought I would beat her to the punch Dr Mike

Hodgeman, anybody who does not own a 30-30 should not be allowed to watch any John Wayne movies

Europe":3nefe96i said:
Hodgeman, anybody who does not own a 30-30 should not be allowed to watch any John Wayne movies

How sharper than a serpent's tooth, etc. etc. :(

Good to see I'm not the only heretic here. Maybe I will have to get a 30/30. Maybe a 30/30 AI barrel for my encore pistol??

Interestingly enough, I owned a Model 64 at one point. It went with someone else even before I could shoot it. Can't deny those who long for a fine thutty-thutty opportunity to own one.

I've got a M94 30-30 I like quite a lot.

I wouldn't say it's much more off than this guy I know that hasn't ever owned a 30-06 for more than 15 minutes before swapping it for a M70 7mm :lol:

Equally startling is the fact that Fotis dosent have a weatherby 30-30! :shock: :shock: Good lord is it possible Roy didn't chamber one...??!?!???? No, no. That would just be WRONG... :p :grin: :grin: :grin:

Its never too late to pick up a 30-30.

CL

Sadly, I sold mine. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Wish I could have that decision back. It was nothing special, just a Marlin 336 but the thought of me selling it still bothers me today. It wasn't even that I needed money.

Don't feel to bad I have a Marlin 336 with a Williams Peep sight on and all I have ever shot with it is a couple rabbits and never taken it deer hunting.

Back