Jackson Hole

beautiful country . I hunted the Thorofare one time , it's very rugged country , but beautiful .

Every time I visit I wonder why I don’t come here more. If you haven’t made the journey get it on your list.
Cost. That's why I avoid it like the plague. Those elk antler arches are too cool, though.

That said, the Tetons can't be beat, so absolutely do make the trip. Personally, I liked doing a loop up through West Yellowstone MT, down through the park, down through Teton, then over Teton pass to Victor and Driggs. Or, the other way 'round, I suppose. Just have to look out for skiers coming down the Wyoming side of the pass in the snowy season.

For those who have never been, there is the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center in West Yellowstone, and Henry's Lake and Island Park in Idaho. All amazing places.

do watch out for people. There were just as many stupid people in Tetons as in Yellowstone. Several times I had people bail out of their car to get pictures of elk With out looking they will dart across the road. The road from Victor/Driggs is an engineering feet. So is the bike trail! Our plan was to go thru Yellowstone and then to Ennis to stay with some friends but a family emergency altered that plan. 8hours 15minutes from our home in Oregon, 8hours 5minutes getting home.

do watch out for people. There were just as many stupid people in Tetons as in Yellowstone. Several times I had people bail out of their car to get pictures of elk With out looking they will dart across the road. The road from Victor/Driggs is an engineering feet. So is the bike trail! Our plan was to go thru Yellowstone and then to Ennis to stay with some friends but a family emergency altered that plan. 8hours 15minutes from our home in Oregon, 8hours 5minutes getting home.
I chuckle at this (with a healthy dose of sarcasm). While living in Jasper, we watched tourists attempt to pet a bull elk in rut. That never worked out very well. We watched tourists at other times attempt to rush at a cow elk standing guard over her calf. That was always interesting to note how fast those same tourists could scramble when the cow took exception to them getting too close to her calf. I've nearly crashed into tourists stopping on the highway because they saw a bear. Sometimes, they were bailing out before the car even stopped rolling. It was often an adventure in dodging the tourists as they rushed to get a picture of the bear. Yeah, I can believe "Dodge the Tourist" is a thing in WY and MT just as it is in the Canadian Rockies.

I pray that your family is safe and healthy.

Vince

Back