Load development 6 BR Part II

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
Finally fireformed all 200 pieces of 6 BR Lapua brass at the 600 yard match, and had some leftovers to practice in howling 20 mph winds with some gusts from 10 o clock at 815 yards, was able to learn to read the wind and golly that wind do carry that little bullet on its way to the steel plate. It was fun using the wind holds on the ATACR while watching watching the wind flags from my spot, and at the 800 yard mark before pulling the shot. At first I made a few misses due to wind error ( hits on left side of the plate ) , its hard to predict exact wind speed while gusting, getting all the info from the Kestrel 5700 to check wind hold data. After a few adjustments, and steel started ringing real consistently middle of the steel and a little right. Shots are across the plate, but on a good horizontal line. It was fun.
After a few days of doing chores, I decided to use my old fired 8 X Lapua brass to test the 103 Vapor Trails instead of the new fired once brass. Three round groups from 28.8 and 29.1 grains on target. Both groups are good for me. Speed is at 2780 fps for the .060" group. Book closed, going to order 1000 bullets from Tom since I wanted to test with fireformed brass first, after finding this sweet load, I may not even use the 1200 round Hybrid stash that I have. Vapor Trails is a little cheaper, and it did perform very well for me at the match. May just save those Hybrids for when I slap on a new barrel in the future.

Attachments

• br4.jpg
    br4.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 6
  • br5.jpg
    br5.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 6
  • br3.jpg
    br3.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 6
Little bullets and gusting crosswinds can be a humbling experience.
Those VTs are the money maker for you , excellent groups.
What brand of barrel is on the BR?

Little bullets and gusting crosswinds can be a humbling experience.
Those VTs are the money maker for you , excellent groups.
What brand of barrel is on the BR?
It's a Bartlein M40 medium Palma barrel, 1:8 twist and 26 inch.

Vapor Trails just arrived, measured the base to ogive on the old bullet and its .624" and the new bullets ( different lot ) measures .623", that is only .001" difference between the old and new. I'll be using the same 28.8 grain loads I tested a couple of weeks ago and head out again to try them at 725 yards on steel with the new 7-35x 56 ATACR. The other day it took me 3 shots to get it dialed in @100.

Attachments

• vapor.jpg
    vapor.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 9
Vapor Trails just arrived, measured the base to ogive on the old bullet and its .624" and the new bullets ( different lot ) measures .623", that is only .001" difference between the old and new. I'll be using the same 28.8 grain loads I tested a couple of weeks ago and head out again to try them at 725 yards on steel with the new 7-35x 56 ATACR. The other day it took me 3 shots to get it dialed in @100.
That pile of boxes should last a week or two😂

Back