Neck size, partial re-size or full length size for Thompson

longwinters

Handloader
Oct 10, 2004
I read a while ago that for pistol shooting a person should only neck size. For the Thompson contenders and encores why would this make any difference?

For my long guns I have always partially re-sized, just bumping the shoulder back a smidge. Have always had good luck and accuracy this way. Would a Thompson be any different?

Long

Long,

I neck size everything I own, including my Contender calibers.

JD338

A good buddy of mine had some issues with neck sizing for his Contender in 7-30. He started having misfires on occasion after getting a neck die. Took him a while to figure out that the pistol just wasn't quite all the way locked up. He was lucky he didn't lose a finger or something in the process.

My buddy who introduced me to Contenders has mentioned to me a couple of times that you should close the action firmly. This will give you a positive lock up. I was shooting his sons 375 JDJ and had a misfire on the 3-4 shot. I opened and "firmly" closed the action and fired the next round. The good news was that both father and son noticed that when the gun went click, there was NO flinch! The 375 JDJ is going to be my next barrel.
Again, I have not had any issues neck sizing for my rounds.

JD338

I have allways full lenth sized all of my brass for contender and encore pistols otherwise I have problems with the actoins not closing. Custom shops like MGM make their barrels with chambers a couple of thousanths tighter which gives you something to keep an eye on .

Back