Other rifles for today's range day

Tiny groups and very little recoil with the 204 Ruger...what I remembered from my first rifle in this cartridge (Rem 700 VSSF)! It is nice to have it in a LH rifle! :cool:
Fun to be able to watch the holes appear in the paper at 100 yards!
Not sure if the rifle is just slow, and will improve over the next few hundred rounds, or what, but the velocities were 350-500 fps slower than published figures for the ammo tried. I shouldn't be losing that much with a 22' barrel! And if it temperature related, I guess I'll find out when I shoot the rifle this summer when it 20 degrees outside.
Regardless, it will be a fun light rifle to pack hunting coyotes, fox, wolverine, and lynx!
And should I ever go for Africa's Tiny Ten, I would think that it would be fun there too!

Here are the pics of the rifles as promised above:

LH CZ 527 American 204 Ruger:
CZ LH 527 American 204 Ruger.jpg

Ruger No.1S 218 Bee:
Ruger No.1S 218 Bee 1.jpg
Ruger No.1S 218 Bee 2.jpg

Ruger No.1A 257 Roberts:
Ruger No.1A 257 Roberts 1.jpg
Ruger No.1A 257 Roberts 2.jpg

Winchester Model 94 Saddle Ring Carbine 25-35 Win:
Winchester Model 94 Saddle Ring Carbine 25-35 Win.jpg

The wood on those Ruger no.1's is beautiful.

My 1st rifle about 55 years ago was a m94 in 25-35, wish I still had it.

Not sure if the rifle is just slow, and will improve over the next few hundred rounds, or what, but the velocities were 350-500 fps slower than published figures for the ammo tried. I shouldn't be losing that much with a 22' barrel!!
Boy that's a long barrel🤣

Those are beautiful Gil and shooting well, congratulations. By chance did that 204 come from our mutual friend in Saskatchewan?

Always liked the look of those LH 527's in 204 and would like to find one just like yours one day. Every one of those 204's and 223's I have ever I heard of is super accurate. I have a LH CZ 452 that is awesome and it could use a big brother one day.

Those are beautiful Gil and shooting well, congratulations. By chance did that 204 come from our mutual friend in Saskatchewan?

Always liked the look of those LH 527's in 204 and would like to find one just like yours one day. Every one of those 204's and 223's I have ever I heard of is super accurate. I have a LH CZ 452 that is awesome and it could use a big brother one day.
Gerry,
While it did not come from our mutual friend from the flatlands, it did come from another resident of the Canadian land of sage and jackrabbits.
I'll keep you in mind and give you first right of refusal should I ever feel the need to part with this rifle.

I forgot to ask where you moved to; are you still in Terrace?

Gerry,
While it did not come from our mutual friend from the flatlands, it did come from another resident of the Canadian land of sage and jackrabbits.
I'll keep you in mind and give you first right of refusal should I ever feel the need to part with this rifle.

I forgot to ask where you moved to; are you still in Terrace?
Yes sir for now until our house sells. I may just need a dedicated coyote gun when I get to the southern interior. All your guns are gorgeous by the way and shooting very well too!

II did get back to the range today to finish testing factory ammo in the 338 Federal and to sight in the 270 WSM, and try out the 25-35.

First, in the 338 Federal:
  1. The Federal 185 gr TSX @ 2700 fps produced 0.821" @ 100 yards: and'
  2. The Federal 200 gr Trophy Copper @ 2579 fps produced 0.457" @ 100 yards. SD was 6.9. Most accurate factory load to date. Sighted the rifle in for this load.

Then, sighted the 270 WSM in with the Federal 140 gr Trophy Bonded Tip ammo, and produced a 0.396" group @ 100 yards at 3156 fps with an SD of 7.8. Slight improvement over numbers this rifle/ammo combination produced yesterday.
Think I found a source that may still have some of this ammo in stock, as I have just over a box of this ammo left.
I liked my first 270 WSM rifle, but must admit that I am definitely liking this LH rifle even more already.

Last, I shot the 25-35 Win. I remembered really quickly why I was never a fan of the buckhorn sights! And with my aging eyes, it was even worse. Did manage to keep all shots on target at 100 yards, and for the exception of two shots back to back that were almost touching, the rest were a larger group off to one side.
Definitely need a better rear sight! The Hornady 110 gr FTX ammo at 2327 fps had an SD of 12.3, so potential is there for accuracy once I get the sights figured out.

Here's the LH Browning X Bolt All Weather in 270 WSM if you like the grey laminate!Browning LH X Bolt All Weather 270 WSM.jpg

And the LH Browning X Bolt All Weather in 6.5 Creedmoor is identical except the Leupold scope is matte black instead of Gunmetal Gray

I forgot to mention that I had the Talley 1" mediums in matte in my drawer, and mounted the scope so I could get out and shoot it. I have ordered a set of 1" Lows that are getting Cerakoted in Titanium to match better and lower the scope on the Browning 270 WSM pictured above. Should provide a little better cheek weld once and look better once mounted.
I have to say that the stocks on these Brownings really fit me well and are comfortable to carry, mount and shoot!
And the matching Creedmoor is going to Africa in May! More memories and adventures for that rifle soon! (Sable, springbok, kudu, nyala and bushbuck on the menu!)

Gil, you ever seen an animal expire out of its tracks? :p

Great looking rifles!
Actually had a few jump over a ledge or to the side and land on their sides, never to regain their feet again...does that count? ;)
I do like it when an animals travels 2 or 3 feet...straight down! :LOL:

Actually had a few jump over a ledge or to the side and land on their sides, never to regain their feet again...does that count? ;)
I do like it when an animals travels 2 or 3 feet...straight down! :LOL:
I'll take that answer!

Back