Tested some bullets today

ROVERT

Handloader
Jun 18, 2011
Here is a video from today. I ran the 250 Speer HotCor (35 Whelen), 130 NBT (.270), 130 NAB (.270) and 154 SST (.280) into water jugs. All bullets were recovered. The Whelen definitely owned the show. There is no footage of the 154 SST on the video. The camera guy (that would be me) screwed up on that one. I'll post the results up separately in the appropriate "bullet test" categories when I get a chance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHO6QYSWQvE&feature=youtube_gdata

Here are the jugs loaded up, ready to go:

DSC09910.JPG

Here are the numbers and bullet pics:

130 NBT @ 3250 fps: 62.9 gr retained (48.4 %), expanded to .777", recovered in 3rd jug.
DSC09927.JPG

130 NAB @3200 fps: 84.6 gr retained (65.1%), expanded to .654", recovered in 4th jug.
DSC09919.JPG

DSC09920.JPG

154 SST @2950 fps: 92.9 gr retained (60.3%), expanded to .667", recovered in 4th jug.
DSC09922.JPG

DSC09924.JPG

250 Speer HC @ 2580 fps: 171.3 gr retained (68.5%), expanded to .599", recovered in 7th jug (and darned near made it into the 8th).
DSC09918.JPG

DSC09917.JPG

Thanks Rovert :) They just happen to be my two favourite calibers :mrgreen:

Blessings,
Dan

Great test, Trevor. The .358 demonstrates the power of mass, even when moving at a lower velocity. That is excellent penetration.

Thanks for sharing. That 250 Speer HC looks pretty impressive @ almost 2600 fps.

I'll just change that now after watching the video. That helps just a bit! :oops: :oops:

Nice test. Those poor bullet sure suffered! Thanks for posting!
David

That video is great. I love the slow motion. Hard not to giggle when one does this very scientific testing isn't it!! :p :mrgreen:
David

Thanks, guys. I'm happy to share my results. I do believe I'm addicted to blasting water jugs now.

6mm Remington":1wgaum6l said:
That video is great. I love the slow motion. Hard not to giggle when one does this very scientific testing isn't it!! :p :mrgreen:
David

That's my father-in-law that you can hear chuckling in the video. He shot the .280 (the one I didn't get any video on). It was the first time he's ever shot a centerfire rifle.

Outstanding! Fun isn't it? :grin:

Interesting, the difference between the 130 Ballistic Tip and the 130 AccuBond... Lots of lead left on the AccuBond, not so with the B-tip.

Your .35 Whelen did very well, and thanks for sharing the results. Good stuff.

Guy Miner":11de0tm7 said:
Outstanding! Fun isn't it? :grin:

Interesting, the difference between the 130 Ballistic Tip and the 130 AccuBond... Lots of lead left on the AccuBond, not so with the B-tip.

Your .35 Whelen did very well, and thanks for sharing the results. Good stuff.

Fun it is, Guy... and addictive. I keep thinking about which bullets I'll be trying out next.

I was impressed with the AccuBond.

PJGunner":277plsjt said:
Gotta love that Whelen. :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:
Paul B.

I'm impressed by it. I understand why Scotty, et al., think so highly of the Whelen.

Trevor,

Nicely done buddy.
The AB's are indeed impressive.
The 35 Whelen is a power house round. Give the 250 gr PT a try. You are gonna love it! :wink:

JD338

I haven't done any bullet testing in a few years but now I feel the need again :grin: . I usually save up all my phone books from home and work and use those but have used milk jugs before. With wet phone books you usually get 2-3 shots before they are done. I feel the need to see what a .338 300gr AB, 168gr 7mm Matrix and .308 210gr Matrix VLD bullets looks like now. Nice work.

IdahoCTD":w75gqf5p said:
I haven't done any bullet testing in a few years but now I feel the need again :grin: . I usually save up all my phone books from home and work and use those but have used milk jugs before. With wet phone books you usually get 2-3 shots before they are done. I feel the need to see what a .338 300gr AB, 168gr 7mm Matrix and .308 210gr Matrix VLD bullets looks like now. Nice work.

Oh man! We gotta see it buddy! That would be a gift to us bullet nuts!

Trevor, the Whelen with 250 PT's is my favorite next to the 270WSM with 150 PT's. Those two would be my perfect 2 rifle battery... The 250 PT is a tough bullet that will really drive deep since it isn't blazing quite so hard. I have recovered a few from the dirt and they are still pretty nice. Since I had so many from the dirt, I never thought to put one into the jugs, but I do wanna put a 225 AB into the jugs soon...

Back