The Springfield...

Sounds like a little blue Loktite is in order when you get the new screw.

I’m in hopes you get to hunt with that rifle this season, Guy. Very nice rifle and a rich history to be treasured.

Vince

Wow.

I think I am the first hunter in my family for generations.

I hope my boys get the virus some day. Or at least be shooters.

Nothing special to pass down.

But I killed my first buck together with my elder son.

My furthest shot my my little one when he was four (12 years ago).

So maybe the weapons are not special.

The memories are...

I tried it with my usual stout 30-06 loads and it had no complaints at all. :) Well, except for the fore-end cap flying off! At least I found that piece.
Boy they must be stout😂
New screw and a little loctite you’ll be good to go.

Boy they must be stout😂
New screw and a little loctite you’ll be good to go.
212 & 220 grain bullets at max powder charges. :)

Ya, I'm taking the part up to Gavin's place today, ask him about maybe making the screw. Haven't been able to find anything! It's an oddball part, the end cap was probably made from an original 1903 end cap and modified. The standard screw that holds the issue Springfield end cap on, won't work. :(

Touched base with a lot of local gun-tinkerers, no luck. Same at the local "Fasteners" store. They were perplexed. I'll see what we can do at the UR shop. Well, what Gavin might be able to make. :)

Guy

Gavin and I fixed the Springfield. :) Not a big deal. Yes, some non-hardening Loctite was used. :) I've been shooting it a fair bit recently. Makes me smile. No, it's not as accurate as my 30-06 Rem 700, but it's accurate enough to be quite useful.

e6Z9vqOl.jpg

Guy

Guy,
Glad you were able to fix the end cap.
Hope you can hunt with the Springfield this year.
What 220 gr bullet are you going to use?

JD338

Guy that’s one hell of a rifle with a hell of a story attached to it! I’m looking forward to your reports from the coming season.
V/R,
Joe

My son and I got out into the local hills looking for a bear. High enough and enough of a breeze that we put on our jackets. Fall is on the way!

I last hunted with the Springfield in the 1970's. It felt really good to be carrying Dad's Springfield afield again. :) No bear yet, but there's lots of time left this season.
noq89sZl.jpg

Best of luck to everyone this season!

Guy

Gavin and I fixed the Springfield. :) Not a big deal. Yes, some non-hardening Loctite was used. :) I've been shooting it a fair bit recently. Makes me smile. No, it's not as accurate as my 30-06 Rem 700, but it's accurate enough to be quite useful.

e6Z9vqOl.jpg

Guy
Good to see you got it up and running.
My son and I got out into the local hills looking for a bear. High enough and enough of a breeze that we put on our jackets. Fall is on the way!

I last hunted with the Springfield in the 1970's. It felt really good to be carrying Dad's Springfield afield again. :) No bear yet, but there's lots of time left this season.
noq89sZl.jpg

Best of luck to everyone this season!

Guy
No need for a jacket here this weekend , we smashed old record highs.
Good luck to you and your son.

Guy,
That's a great picture of you with the ol Springfield. Best of luck to you and John.
What bullet are you running in the 30-06?

JD338

Good to see you looking from bruins, Guy. Noah and I went into some of the higher elevations this afternoon. Temp was 6 C (43 F). It was a beautiful sunny day, but there was a feeling of fall in the air.

Guy,
That's a great picture of you with the ol Springfield. Best of luck to you and John.
What bullet are you running in the 30-06?

JD338

This year I'm messing around with the 130 gr Barnes TTSX at 3200+ fps from the 22" 30-06 barrel. The old rifle seems to like that stubby bullet, they're grouping well. I've got it loaded over Varget. Kinda like an overgrown 308 Win.

Guy

Hook rifling might stabilize lighter bullets better. If you peer down that barrel the lands are quite wide. The Barnes weight can be dropped and performed just as well as a heavier bullet. The two groove shoots just as good as the 4 groove.

This year I'm messing around with the 130 gr Barnes TTSX at 3200+ fps from the 22" 30-06 barrel. The old rifle seems to like that stubby bullet, they're grouping well. I've got it loaded over Varget. Kinda like an overgrown 308 Win.

Guy
Thanks Guy. I've got an interest in that bullet for the 308 Win. From what I've read, it's a proven fast killer on deer sized game. It just seems to drop deer in their tracks. I'm following your hunt with interest. Best of luck to you fellas.

JD338

Back