trying to decide on a new scope

bcd

Beginner
Sep 27, 2004
I currently have a tasco world class 3-12x40 on a rem 700, but it is 10-15 years old. It has started to get blury, and as the season goes by it starts to fog up in the colder weather. On top of the vision problemsit will not hold a zero after about 10 or 15 shots.

Over the past year or so I have been cconsdering a leupold vari-x III 3.5-10x50,but in the past couple of months I've heard alot of bad things about them from several dealers, especially with the new vx models that are susposed to be an improvement.

Now I can't decide. It has been suggested to me that I get a burris black dimond, a kahles, or a schmidt-bender.The kahles and burris are closer to the same price range as the leupold, where as the schmidt-bender is over a grand.

If anyone can try and help make this decision any easier it would be greatly appreciated.

I hunted with a Vari-X III 3.5-10 X 50mm (old style) for over 10 years and had nothing but love for that scope. I just sold it to buy a 4.5-14 (wanted more magnification for target shooting beyond 600 yds) and I have a feeling I'll end up regretting it. I really liked that scope....

Can't help you with the others.

I have the Kahles with a TDS reticle. I really like this scope. It does everything a relatively expensive scope should do. Tracks very well and is very clear. Never had problems with it so cannot speak to service. I also have the Bushnell Elite 4200 which is a nice scope. But for clarity I would go with the Zeiss Conquest. I had one of these in a 3.5 x 10 and it was great. I traded it towards the Kahles because I sold the stainless rifle it was on (scope was silver) and needed a black scope for the new rifle. If you are looking at a little less expensive scope probably the best out there is the Nikon Monarch.

Long

Well, it definitely sounds like you need a new scope!

You will likely get several opininons here about what to buy, but I guess I will throw in my two cents worth.

My buddy has a Leupold 3.5 X 10 X 50 on his 300 Weatherby and likes it a lot. He has had it on a number of hunts and his been a very good scope. I just do not like the size of the darned thing. Those 50mm bells are too big in my opinion.

I am not sure what kind of baloney your dealers are telling you about Leupolds but as far as I know they are as good as ever. I have bought two of the new VX-III scopes this year.
Both were 3.5 X 10 X 40 models with the new Boone and Crockett reticle. I am very impressed with these scopes and they are brighter and sharper than my Vari-X III models, of which I have a bunch. My buddies have bought four of the new VX-III models in the
4.5 X 14 X 40 Long Range, also with the B&C reticles. They just really like them. I was shooting one of them at the range yesterday and that is one heck of a scope.

Now there is nothing wrong with the brands you are considering, to be sure. Any of those brands would serve you well. However, the only other scope I really considered buying lately was that Zeiss Conquest. I read a lot of good stuff about those scopes on the talk forums that I look at.

Good luck on your decision, R F

bcd":1rfkqqi7 said:
Over the past year or so I have been cconsdering a leupold vari-x III 3.5-10x50,but in the past couple of months I've heard alot of bad things about them from several dealers, especially with the new vx models that are susposed to be an improvement.

I have 2 of the VX models, one of them being the 3.5-10x50 on a 338 win mag. Neither have had trouble. Leupold has put out a service announcement about some of them having the numbers on the adjustment screws backwards, but will not affect the performance of the scope. I wouldn't think twice about buying any product from them. IMO the customer service is tied for first with Lamiglas. I am in no way associated with either company, besides being a very satisfied customer.

I haven't been able to afford a leupold myself yet but several of my family have them. My father has several on various rifles and has nothing but good things to say. I have to agree there isn't alot of help from the 50mm objective over the 40mm version(this coming from a person w/ a 2.5-10x44mm Tasco on his rifle, but mine was given to me with that scope on it) anyways a big scope is more trouble than it's worth in the field. You'll be able to mount the rifle easier and get a better fit for the rifle, scope and yourself if you buy the 40mm model and the lowest mounts that will absolutely clear the bolt handle and your knuckles.

I've been useing Sightron's for the last year and have had only one with a problem(I currently have 3 6x42's/2 3x9x42's/and 2 4.5x14x50's)which they (Sightron) fixed with NO question's asked

One of the 6x42's is on a 358Norma and one of the 3x9's is on a 300Win both of these have survived several hundred round's

Optically I would rate them alongside the Nikon Monarch,the Burris fullfield and any leupold for a hundred or more dollars less

EVERY TIME I have purchased a scope other than a Leupold I ended up wishing I had not.

I've owned leupold,burris,zeiss,swarovski and schmitt & bender and I don't think you could go worng with any them . all i'ved owned have proven to be very good. though I'm partial to swarovski

Get a Leupold Vari-X or VX III and don't look back.

Others may be clearer, have better features or better prices, but the Leupold is the best overall scope you can get. Nothing goes wrong and if it does they have the best customer service.

Back