Vortex PST, first impressions

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Well. Interesting. After 40 years of using mostly Leupold scopes, I find myself the owner of a Vortex 6-24x long range scope. I've used $2500 scopes, and I have to admit that the Vortex, at a fraction of that price, seems to be quite the scope.

I'll contribute more as I spend more range time with it, but here's a video link about the scope for now:

http://www.vortexoptics.com/video/viper_pst_riflescope

Guy

I am a fan of the Vortex Vipers I own. Running two 4x12 and the turret are very consistent. I put a 2x7 on my 30-06 with the bdc reticle and it is a perfect match.

Sent from ACLakey's Android

I've owned one PST, though I've shot quite a few rifles topped with these scopes. They are a bargain--very clear glass. One could do much worse than a Vortex PST.

I've been looking at the viper PST FFP 5-20 as a possibility for my DPMS Panther LR308. I like the trijicon that's on it now but with only 45 Moa of adjustment it won't adjust out to 1k. I think it might get there with the 260 upper in going to build.

I know the razor has a bunch of adjudtment like 125 Moa. How does the PST stack up with the razor

Not a PST but the new Diamond Back HP 3-12X42 has been working well on my 35 Whelen. (y) I like the larger turrets and positive adjustments.

I'll be interested in what your thoughts are regarding that scope after you have some time behind it.
I'm wondering about the repeatability and reliability.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Vortex will be on top of my next rifle...whenever that it is. I love them. The warranty is basically the same as Leupold...no questions asked.

I was seriously considering the Viper HS-T 4-16x44 for my .308 that I sold... :-(

I've own / owned 6 scopes in Viper series. Happy with them. Still have 4. Used CS once and they were extremely helpful.
A lot is scope for the money.

Vince":qyiemwzn said:
I'll be interested in what your thoughts are regarding that scope after you have some time behind it.
I'm wondering about the repeatability and reliability.

Me too Vince.

Pretty confirmed Leupold fan & user for 40 years now, but... Dang, this sure seems like a nice scope. More later, after more range time....

Guy

Looking forward to your report Guy. There sure seems to be some very good glass out there at a decent prices.
I would like to try that new cheaper line of Nightforce. They still are not real cheap but for a Nightforce they are reasonable.

Blessings,
Dan

That Nightforce SVH line are really nice glass. I originally had one on my LR308, but they don't have exposed turrets. They are capped turrets and I was looking for something I could dial in without risking losing caps. I had a Nightforce NFX 5-22x56 for a while and got used to exposed turrets on target/tactical rifles.

It was great glass though.

One of my buddies swears by the razor HD vortex scopes. He has a pair of them on sako TRGs in 308 and 338 lapua and does s lot of shooting out to 1k. His recommendation means a lot to me. It sounds like guy is seeing the same kind of value in the PST line.

The Razor is an excellent scope that will compare quite favourably with the finest European glass.

first class scope at a bargain price. same bullet proof warranty as Leupold. what is not to like

My reservations on Vortex are based on the question of their longevity as a company. They have nothing invested in manufacturing, everything is outsourced as far as physical product goes, so it leaves me wondering whether they'll build a reputation and coast on it and then bleed it dry and fade away. If they do that, then the warranty will be worthless. I know all manufacturers outsource to some extent but I am more confident that Leopold & Stevens is here for the long haul just like Zeiss, Swarovski, and others that have been around since Lincoln was a private.

RiverRider, I understand exactly what you're saying.

Dad spoiled me rotten as a kid, with the gift of a 3-9 Leupold back in the mid 1970's. I still have that scope and it still works just fine. Since then, most of my scopes have been by Leupold, and I intend to keep it that way.

The Vortex was a completely unexpected addition to my optics, and I'm enjoying working with it. Surely seems to be of good quality, but yes, that's a good question. Will the company be around in 40 years to repair or replace it like Leupold has been?

Guy

Guy Miner":nnl6uerr said:
Heck, I sure don't plan on making it another 40 years...
My Momma didn't plan on making it to 94 but she is still ticking like a Timex.

You never know the day or the hour. Live like you're thirty. Some common sense but still young enough to have fun.

Guy- Now that you've had it for a while, any new observations? Still like it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I do. Good clear optics. Reliable adjustments. Can't fault it in the least.

Good scope. I'm no gee-whiz scope expert, but this thing does a fine job, at what seems to be a good price.

It's not my favorite "type" of scope, so maybe that's why I can't get all crazy-enthusiastic about it. Never have been a real fan of these larger "tactical" type scopes, which is pretty funny considering my background in precision shooting... But this scope does a fine job.

I get a lot more excited about things like the lightweight, fixed 2.5x or low powered 1.5-5x scopes... Or the 6x fixed power Leupold... Sorry, personal prejudice on my part.

Regards, Guy

Back