Going to try a Redfield (quick review)

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
I just picked up a used but mint condition Redfield Revolution 4-12 for my Browning X-Bolt .243. I think it will make a nice package for my wife if she ever wants to deer hunt.

Looking forward to seeing how you like it. I've used a couple, never owned one though. Seem like good glass for the money. Should be perfect on a 243.

I had a Redfield on my last 45/70 and it worked well, it should serve you well atop the .243 win.

I think it's a great little cartridge, I just got a .243 a few weeks ago, and love it, it started out with a 4-12 Vortex Diamond back, I have since returned that scope to bass pro, and replaced it with a Leupold VX-3 3.5x10x40.

Lou

have one on my 257 Bee and some others on different rifle. Nary a problem so far.

I have never used the newer models but I know that Leupold has bought the Redfield company and they are top shelf in my opinion.
I am sure it will be great on that 243!!

Blessings,
Dan

I picked up a Refield 4x-12x at Academy a couple of years ago for 80 bucks on closeout. I put it on a Rem 700 adl .25-06. Its clear and has tracked well moving the reticle around for different bullets. The one I got is the long range reticle and it matches up well to the 06 with the 110 AccuBond at 3200 fps.

I got the scope today and got it mounted up on the .243 x-bolt. It is a nice light scope. I don't know if I would put it on the .338wm but I think it will be perfect for the .243. I think even up to 30-06 it would be great. In typical Leupold fashion, the glass is clear and when look at the outside edge, you get the small black ring of tube and not the thick ring like on my Nikons. I feel that for around $200 you can't beat this scope. I will shoot it as soon as the temps warm up and I am caught up on school work.

One thing that I do not care for is the fact that I need to move my cheek weld to get the full view from the scope when I move from 12x down to 4x. I am guessing I need to slid back about .75". I set it up so I had a perfect hold with the scope on 12x. I guess in a hunting situation, I will have a coat on and that will help the situation.

Can't speak of today's models, but I bought a plain Jane 4x32 back in 1978, for my 308, when I was in college and that $75 meant no beers for Gonzo for a long time!

It's on my son's M96 44Mag now and still going as strong as the day I bought it.

Gunner46":1eu8rniz said:
Can't speak of today's models, but I bought a plain Jane 4x32 back in 1978, for my 308, when I was in college and that $75 meant no beers for Gonzo for a long time!

It's on my son's M96 44Mag now and still going as strong as the day I bought it.

My little brother runs an old 2x7 Widefield on his 257 Weatherby. Works well, holds zero and he is slaying deer pretty doggone well with it.

I had a 4X Redfield on my 7mm Rem Mag for a long time. Again, never skipped a beat.

I picked up a Redfield 4-12x40 for my new to me Tikka 30-06. I really like it and the glass is much better than my older VX II, clearer and brighter.

I did find that from field positions other than prone, 12x is a bit too much magnification. The problem in northern MN woods is that there's not much chance to shoot from a prone position. But 12x is nice from a bench. Don't know if I'd ever get more than 10x after trying this one. It's just not usable or worth the extra expense, given how and where I hunt. But I definitely like the Redfield, owned by Leopold, scope. As near as I could tell, it's the same or very similar to the VX I, but cheaper. It's a good value product. BN

Not to hijack, but I was thinking of putting a 4-12x40 on my T3 in 338WM using Talley LW mounts. Foolish idea?

I like your mount selection as that is all I have on my rifles :wink:.
I do not know anyone using the newer model Redfields to say if they can take the shaking a 338 win mag is going to give them. If they have a life warranty I guess you are at least covered that way.

Blessings,
Dan

The new Redfields are built by Leupold. Line them up in the store with the comparably priced Leupold, they are the same scope. The Redfield just costs a little less. Those are good mounts. You should be fine.

They are assembled in the U.S. but I don't know if the components are U.S. made. Mind you Leupold parts are likely not U.S. made either.

Blessings,
Dan

I either have two 4-12xs and a 2-7x, or a 4-12x and two 2-7xs. I kinda like 'em. What reticle did you get?

After a summer of shooting the .243 off the bench, the scope is holding zero and is still very clear. For a light recoiling rifle, it is a great buy in my mind.

Back