HD and ED glass meaning

Wis65x55

Handloader
Jul 31, 2011
Can someone help me understand what HD and ED when discussing optical glass? If it matters, I am shopping for a replacement set of binoculars.
Keith

HD refers to "high definition." The term can mean pretty much whatever a marketer wants it to mean. In quality binoculars, it means that the scope/binoculars maintain clarity relative to "non-HD" glass. ED refers to "extra low dispersion," a point in maintain colour integrity (for instance, distinguishing dark markings against a light background). Inclusion of ED glass ensures highly resolved images that enhance brilliance and maintains true colour.

What would be your top two binocular choices in the price range of $300-$400. I would prefer to have a maximum magnification of about 8X.
Keith

The prices are so much higher here in Canada, that I honestly am incapable of suggesting binos. I still have a set of B&L binos that are surprisingly clear even after many years. Frequently, I see really good used glass at reasonable prices. I've seen some older Leicas and Zeiss sell for not much more than you suggest. I wouldn't be above checking out that market. However, entry level glass today can be quite good. In past years, I've been favourably impressed with Pentax, though I really don't know the going price on the street today. Some of the Bushnell binos can be quite nice. I do favour the European glass. Minox and Meopta are two brands that offer true bargains today. Perhaps someone with more experience in buying newer glass will weigh in shortly.

Wis65x55":1d9kw9n3 said:
What would be your top two binocular choices in the price range of $300-$400. I would prefer to have a maximum magnification of about 8X.
Keith

I'm all for checking out the used prices on higher end glass, as mentioned. If you decide on new, I'd very much recommend you check out the Vanguard Endeavor EDII series. Fantastic glass, appears to be pretty solid.

Back