scope opinions needed

Thebear_78

Handloader
Sep 30, 2004
My lightweight 270 build is nearly complete. Stats are as follows.

Remington 700 action lightened and trued
pac-nor 1-8 featherweight barrel 24”
Wildcat composits stock

bare weight as it sits now is 6lbs 5oz. Not quite as light as I would have liked but still pretty good. I’m not sure where I could shed any weight and would like to keep this as light as possible. For now I have a leupold 3-9x40 VXII that I could use until I get something better.

My perferred criteria is
under 18oz, prefferably much lighter
can be either straight 6 or 3-9 variable
I would like adjustable objective and turrets

So far my short list is
Swarovski Z3 33-9x36 ( missing some features but very light)
Nightforce 2-10x32 ( at my upper limit for weight and price)
Custom shop leupy 2.5-8 CDS

Is there anything I’m missing out there?

The VX-3 2.5-8x36mm is one of my favorites because of its smaller size, brightness and power range.
On 8x, the standard duplex reticle fits perfectly in a 6" black bulls eye at 500 yds. It is ready all the glass you need for big game hunting at normal hunting distances. The CDS dial works like a charm.

JD338

I'm a sucker for the Leupold 6x42.... 13oz. You can get the CDS for it.

I tried the 2.5-8x VX3 on my .300WSM... very nice hunting scope.

I also picked up a Vortex 2-8x32 Viper HP with side focus out of Cabela's bargain cave. Very nice scope for the money.

I have a pair of 2.5-8, I agree they are very nice.

I had looked at the 6x42 that comes with AO, but not fond of the reticle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have both Leupold and Zeiss scopes, you can look on line for the best prices. I particularly like my two Conquests, for the money they are an outstanding scope.

You can get pretty much any reticle you want on the 6x Leupold - just order from them - they'll build it your way.

I absolutely dote on my 6x Leupold - atop my .25-06, it's been a great combo, from 20 yds - 420 yds.

Oh, no CDS, just point & shoot. (y) Value of a flat trajectory & a careful sight-in.

Really looking forward to seeing your completed rifle - whichever scope you choose!

Guy

If you can do without a turret the Leupold 6x36 with the LR duplex is a great scope. Only 10 oz, rugged and simple which is nice on a mountain rifle. That's what I would do anyway.....

I have always been a Leuy fan :wink: I have a number of other very good scopes but it always seems that I place my VX6 on my go too rifle :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

After trial and error I went with Zeiss for my scopes.
They don't meet your weight criteria but I'd give up a little weight savings to have the HD5 line of Zeiss scope.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I'll second Gerry's choice the FX-II 6x-36mm Leupold. Great optic, very light, and compact. I have one mounted on my Model 70 featherweight in .270 win. I'm also very partial to the traditional Leupolds as they can be mounted with low rings, most of the Euros need mediums to open the bolt. I think a Conquest may be one of exceptions though.

gerry":38kjss2h said:
If you can do without a turret the Leupold 6x36 with the LR duplex is a great scope. Only 10 oz, rugged and simple which is nice on a mountain rifle. That's what I would do anyway.....
Yes yes! This one or the 6x42mm are both great scopes. I have the simple duplex reticle but they can build you a LR reticle set for your load and ballistics. I think either one of these two scopes are great.

Hard to go wrong really with the 2.5x8x36mm Leupold either. You can get that one with the B&C reticle and I really like that reticle. My son has it in one of his scopes and I have it in the 4.5-14x40mm on my new .280 AI. Great scope and reticle.

I do believe you can get the 6x42 with a turret from the factory or get it added later if you have a regular 6x36 or 6x42.

hodgeman":l04lgfq4 said:
I'm a sucker for the Leupold 6x42.... 13oz. You can get the CDS for it.

I tried the 2.5-8x VX3 on my .300WSM... very nice hunting scope.

I also picked up a Vortex 2-8x32 Viper HP with side focus out of Cabela's bargain cave. Very nice scope for the money.

I've got a FX3 with an M1 dial on top. Light and easy to make shots out to 600 without too much trouble. Can't beat them in my opinion. I'd mention the SWFA MQ SS 6X but it's a chunky butt 8)

Bruce Mc":3bkb7n8y said:
I'll second Gerry's choice the FX-II 6x-36mm Leupold. Great optic, very light, and compact. I have one mounted on my Model 70 featherweight in .270 win. I'm also very partial to the traditional Leupolds as they can be mounted with low rings, most of the Euros need mediums to open the bolt. I think a Conquest may be one of exceptions though.

And I'm pretty sure I'm going to try one of the 6x36's with the LR Duplex. It looks great on a hunting rifle and is a pretty rugged set up for a hard knocks sorta rifle.

REALLY looking forward to what the 1-8 does for you TB.

JD338":qznrgsr6 said:
The VX-3 2.5-8x36mm is one of my favorites because of its smaller size, brightness and power range.
On 8x, the standard duplex reticle fits perfectly in a 6" black bulls eye at 500 yds. It is ready all the glass you need for big game hunting at normal hunting distances. The CDS dial works like a charm.

JD338

+1 JD sums this up perfectly!
8x is still a lot of magnification when hunting and I think I have 3 of these scope on my huntin rifles!

Doh!
Homer

I just got a line on a 4.5-14x40 30mm tube vx3 CDS. Weighs right at 15 oz and all the features I was looking for.

Should still come in at finished weight of under 7.25 pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is an excellent scope, to be sure. You won't regret it; it will serve you well.

The VX3 is almost ideal for your mountain rifle. It will handle all the conditions that you put her in.
Looking forward to your range report with photos I hope :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

Back