Vortex Diamondback vs. Leupold VX2

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
Alright everyone -

I have been a Leupold man all my life. To me they have the look and design qualities I NEED in a hunting rifle scope.

I know this is touchy ground but last November I bought a brand new VX2 at a Cabelas store. I mounted the scope on my old .30-06 in Leupold dual dovetail mounts and lapped low rings yet didn't get around to shooting it much until recently.

At first I thought I must be flinching etc. as I was not touching the adjustments at all, yet was seeing frequent fliers and vertical stringing. The barrel is completely free floating.

A friend who also happens to be a Vortex dealer asked me to change scopes to eliminate that as a variable. He claimed that Leupold's erector spring was to blame and that he had seen this time and time again over the years.

I shot a better group over the hood of my truck with an M8-4x than I had earlier that day with a VX2 on 9x from a solid bench rest. We are talking 1.5" versus 3.5" in comparison.

I know that I can return the scope to Leupold and they will fix it for free etc. but I feel a little jaded and frankly pissed off. It's not Leupold's fault necessarily that this happened but for the money I paid, why did it happen? If it is a serious design flaw, why don't they fix that? What if that had happened when a life was on the line?

My friend offered to get me a Vortex Diamondback 3x9x42 for nearly half what I paid for the VX2 last November. But I am leery of switching horses in the middle of the race even though this seems like a great deal. Is the Diamondback as good or better than the VX2? Should I chalk it up to a new employee on Friday afternoon and stay with Leupold?

Any and all input from folks who have used either or both of these products is greatly appreciated.

Thanks -

Dale

I do have a Vortex Diamond Back HD 3-12X42mm on my 35 Whelen and it has held up well to the recoil The glass is clear and the adjustment nobs have been precise.
For the money I think they're a good deal.

The leupold shave never let me down! I'd send it back in for a quick warranty check. There are a lot of other factors that can cause fliers and stringing, did you check both scopes on the same rifle? Check for binding in the dual turn rings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing "Bad" can be said about the VX2. It is what it is, a good all round hunting scope. As far as the Vortex Diamondback, I have 3 in the HP version. Very pleased with them. I'm not prepeard to say better or worse then a Leupold VX2. I do like the side focus\paralax adj on the side for my old tired eyes when shooting on paper. I get the feeling you have about the VX2 scope and don't blame you for considering a change. I have moved away from Leupold in the last decade, I was/is a Leupold fan since the 70's. I just feel I can get as good / better performance for less $$.

The erector tube spring could well be the culprit. I've had the same problem, once. It is very frustrating.
I hunted with some of the Leupold guys last year. They have new leadership, a clear understanding of how they lost market share and a plan to come roaring back.
Don't loose faith, they are the 30-06, the Nosler Partition of the optics world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well Fellas, the verdict is out! The VX-2 I had on there is defective.

Borrowed another scope from my Father (also a VX-2 3x9x40) and shot the best group I have ever fired out of this rifle yet!

So the faulty VX-2 is going back in for repairs and meanwhile I have purchased the other VX-2 of my Father's from him to use going forward!

Thanks for all the advice!

Dale

I got my VX6 back & will be mounting back on my 280AI tomorrow :mrgreen:.
I just can't seem to find a better scope in my opinion there are many that are close but I have always liked my Leupolds.
I will likely switch all may scopes to Leupold eventually (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Back