Check your firearms!

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Yesterday afternoon a great guy joined me at the range. He broke out his nice old Colt Python .357 mag revolver, some old handloaded wadcutter .38 ammo, and some new production .38 ammo as well.

He hadn't shot the revolver in roughly 20 years, just relied on it always being there, "just in case."

Well... With either the old handloads, or the new commercial ammo, it would fire five out of six and the cylinder also needed just a little nudge to completely rotate and lock up on that one troublesome chamber! Not good in a self-defense type gun.

His shooting was rusty, but decent. The gun though... Pretty, but not to be counted on! I gave him the name of a very good local gunsmith who enjoys working on the older guns like that...

If you've got an older gun sitting around - that you count on "just in case" it's a good idea to take it to the range and give it a try now and again!

Regards, Guy

Excellent advise. Thanks for posting. I also chamber each Handload in my rifle to confirm proper fit before taking them on a hunt.

Excellent advice. When the balloon goes up, your equipment has to work.

That is interesting! I got rid of my wheel guns many years ago, and switched over to semi auto. Many of my friends thought I was crazy. Their comment primarily being, that a revolver is much more dependable than an auto. I don't know if that is right or wrong, but this sure proves that maintenance is critical!!!!!!

I've gone back to resolvers as I've always liked them and one solved a problem for me one night years ago.
Revolvers are more forgiving of neglect and bottomfeeders are more tolerant of abuse. All require upkeep and maintenance however.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

This is particularly true with a Python. They are a complex mechanism and get out of time more frequently than S&W's and more simple revolvers.

I own more revolvers than pistols, they are more reliable. I have had issues with Colt's before, not having been fitted properly at the factory, especially Colts from the 1960's while they were having labor problems.

I have found revolvers to be more reliable, but like everything there are draw backs to all designs and maintaining a gun is just a given if you are going to depend on it. When hunting my carry and back up is always a revolver, but that is my choice. Yes, keep them clean and in working order and you have to shoot it on a regular bases to make sure - plus by doing so you are competent with whatever you use only if you practice with it.

It never fails to amaze me how people will rely on a hand gun for protection but never take it out and shoot it at least once a month or every so often.
While working for a large electric company in their private police force we were issued Ruger revolvers and at the time they were considered the toughest built revolver made. These revolvers were carried and only shot once a year for requalification. 50% of these pistols would not fire due to foreign matter in the mechanism, mostly lint from clothing and cleaning clothes. Being a gun nut I would disassemble my carry gun down to the frame which was a no no since I wasn't an Armour. But mine was one of the 50% that would fire every time. I have always been a firm believer that if you were going to carry it you should know it inside and out and shoot it to the best of your ability. No one who works in police forces private or municipality want to shoot someone but to discharge a gun and not be confident of it going off and where that bullet is going to strike is derelict of duty and putting the community in danger.
Sorry I got a little off track But like Guy said make sure it works if your life is going to depend on it.

Back