Try to sell me on the M48...

You might like my 7mm08, and the loads I have for this rifle. Fotis accuses me of burning the barrel up I have shot it so much but it has a long way to go when you consider the low charge weight of a 7mm08 and ball powder that is easy on the throat. :) I love my Nosler rifle, it kills like my big calibers have. Of course that means shot placement which I do like to do, putting the bullet where it is suppose to go and this M48 makes that easy.

I'm sure I would...the 7mm-08 is another round thats always interested me...much like the 280 AI, but I've wanted to give the 280 a proper try...I had one once before, but never messed with it much because I had a devil of a time finding brass, even 280 Rem brass...and the lack of load data available to me at the time (around 1988...before the internet), and limited funds (I was only 15 years old)...I'm better prepared to run it for all its worth these days.

I'm gonna try to use ball powder...Ramshot Magnum...not sure how it will work, but theres only one way to find out.

Barrels are replaceable...

If I decide on the 150 ABLR instead of the 168...Ramshot Big Game is an option.

One of the reasons I want to use the 168 is to keep the powders charges down a bit smaller....its only 58 grains or so with the 168 grain bullets...and the 168 also makes better use of those slow powders, gets the load density down a little below 100%...nothing compressed...should go a little easier on the barrel than 63-64 grains compressed under a lighter bullet.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Well, what a rifle and cartridge. Nice choice

I can't wait to see how you like this...

you're getting ready to have a new favorite rifle. After messing with the .300WSM and the 7-08...if they'd made the .280AI I would likely have bought it instead.

I almost decided on the 7mm Rem Mag...mostly because of the crappy 280 AI load data thats out there (not referring to Nosler data).

It was gonna be a 7mm of some sort...that was never in question...the biggest game I'm likely to ever hunt is elk...with 98% of it being Whitetail Deer...

I wanted excellent ballistics to at least 800 yards, even though I'm not likely to take shots at game past 600 these days...that little extra comfort zone is nice to have...the 30-06 was and still is great...but the 280 AI can perform the same job, with less recoil, less wind drift, less drop, and more "cool factor", if that counts, lol.

I'm certain I'll be happy with the round and the rifle...I could have gotten pretty much any other brand (except Echols)...looked hard at them all...Dakota, Jarrett, HS Precision, Lane, Forbes, etc, etc, etc...not just the pictures, but the "what makes them tick"...in the end I decided I really liked Noslers approach to a no-nonsense, purpose built hunting rifle that is born and bred to hunt...nothing more, nothing less.

I had to exchange the Zeiss HD5 scope I bought for the 30-06...the Z600 reticle would work fine with the 7mm 168 grain ABLR's....but not so great with 7mm 150 ABLR's...I exchanged it for the locking turret version, that gives me the 800 yard capability...the Z800 wouldn't work so great either...the 280 AI being neither "standard" or "magnum"...the ballistic reticles just don't match up very well with it....the high BC of the ABLR's didn't help in that regard either, throwing the 600 yard line off by 20-35 yards, depending on velocity....thats the first BDC scope I've ever owned, and I can see why people like them...I liked it, or the idea of it...but I likely won't own another one...I'll just keep twirling knobs.

I'm just glad to have it ordered...I've studied this stuff so hard I'm seeing ballistic charts in my sleep, lol...now I can relax, and wait for "the day" to arrive.

Congrats man, you won't be disappointed! Great rifle and great cartridge. Did I ever tell you the story about my less than .25MOA Nosler rifle? She remains the most accurate one I've got.
Joe

EOD Diver":g7ghmqq0 said:
Congrats man, you won't be disappointed! Great rifle and great cartridge. Did I ever tell you the story about my less than .25MOA Nosler rifle? She remains the most accurate one I've got.
Joe

Now you're bragging, Joe. :grin: You fellows keep this up and I'm going to have to break down and order a Nosler rifle, 'cept mine would be a Heritage rifle chambered in some especially desirable cartridge. 8)

RR, you made my day!!! I know that you are going to be impressed with that rifle and the calibre is as good as they come.
Now the hard part waiting :evil:.
Remember to keep us posted if there are any updates :wink:.

PS. Congratulations!!!

Blessings,
Dan

EOD Diver":3fyc6s5m said:
Joe

Even if you have told me....that's a story I could enjoy again.

Congrats on your new bang stick. You will love it. I have no regrets on mine. I just wish they could modify it to the detachable mag. Might have to get another one.
Russ.

Very cool RR! That's an excellent rifle you've got coming! Way to go! I think your going to be in for a ton of fun!

Way to go I think you have made a purchase you will be really happy with and me looking at the 2014 catalog has my eyes wide open! :shock: Especially as I read about how much attention has been given to the actions on these rifles! Real happy for ya as that is a beauty and I am sure it will be a tack driver! If ya need any help with an optik I know where some cheap ones are :lol: :mrgreen: and yes they are around 1/2 the price of the rifle :grin: I like me some nice glass :lol:

BTW good luck getting to shoot it as I feel you might have a couple youngsters with anxious eyes! :lol: and itchy fingers :grin:

The tentative completion date of my rifle is 10/23 by the way...don't know if it will be that quick or not...and don't care either...I'm in no hurry.

One shouldn't rush perfection....[emoji1]

Oh you will be more than happy as I have been reading that catalog and it seems they have put together a fine rifle! I tell you 6 months is a long time and my last custom kinda had issues with the build and stretched out a little longer but I am ready to take it out and run it thru it's paces on a small brake in ! Nothing like a new Accumark in 300 Win mag as I been wanting 1 just for it's available components! That and it was a Limited Edition :mrgreen: I might try in the morning before it hits 90+ :shock:

Had some "Cabelas Bucks" accumulated...I just spent them on a box of 140 grain Accubonds and a box of brass for the 280 Ackley.

I figure I'll use the 140's until I can get some 150 ABLR's...and during break in and initial sight in the 140's with H4350 (~58-60 grains) will be easier on the barrel than the 150's with a heavy dose of MRP (~64-66 grains).

Back