Try to sell me on the M48...

A very sweet looking gun, and a great way to remember a great American sniper.

Ridgerunner, your waiting on your gun is hurting me, can't imagine what agony your going through. LOL I am on pins and needles waiting to see what your beauty will look like, and to hear about how well it shoots. I remember having to wait almost 8 months for Browning to produce my rifle when I bought it many years ago, but as they say good things come to those who wait. And I am sure this wait will be well worth it. Keep us posted. ;)

Oh he will be happy when it shows up as I am sure from reading the 2014 catalog that it is worth every penny and it just does not get much better! Also the caliber is something I think makes it so cool! RR I am as anxious as you are and hope it shows up soon! Been looking for a 240 Ultra Light RC but I think it is special order and I can't take another long wait as it is easy to just wait but when it never comes ya get antsy! Boy that is tuff but when it arrives after about a week it will be in the past for sure! Hope ha get it before season is over and ya can get it bloody!

The wait isn't really bothering me much...this isn't my first custom firearm.

I got a Baer 1911 several years ago that was supposed to take 4 months...ended up being almost 9 months.

I was sorta hoping I'd get the M48 in time to hunt with it some this year...but its no big deal if I don't...like I said when I ordered it, I don't care if its June of next year....I'm in no hurry, but anxious to get it at the same time...if that makes sense.

In the end....as long as I get it in time to get it set up and sighted in for next season....I'll be fine, lol.

But I just can't help but check on its progress from time to time...I did the same thing with the 1911, called or emailed every couple of months or so....preferably email, its probably less bothersome to a business trying to do what they do...there is a reason for me doing that other than just anticipation though....its so I can be ready to get home when its finished, to get home at a certain time I need at least a week or better yet 2 weeks notice...I live in TN, but my job keeps me in ND, SD, MN, WI, KS, and IL almost all the time....and I can't just head for home at a moments notice....it has to planned ahead.

I know the folks at my local gun shop, and know them well...its not so much that I don't trust them...but leaving a firearm costing a few thousand dollars anywhere except in my safe just doesn't sit well with me, lol.

I'm confident I'll get a heads up from Shawn as it nears completion...but for my own sanity I have to look in on it once a while....can't really explain it other than the "kid awaiting Christmas syndrome", lol.

No doubt I know the feeling! I went into AFIB the day after I got this rifle and did not know if I was going to be around to play with it but I am still here! been looking at a new Browning Pro Steel safe myself as things are tight in my AMSEC it explodes when I open it :)

I sold 3 safes last year when I sold all those rifles I had.... and got another (new) safe because the others wouldn't fit where I wanted it....got a Liberty Revere 23, stuffed it in a closet, bolted it to the floor and a steel plate welded to the frame (double wide trailer) with hardened walls on all 3 sides of the safe (oak studs in those walls...4" spacing, screwed together...no nails)....

Its as secure as I can make it....it could be gotten into, but it would take some time, and tools....no room to get at it from the sides at all....unless you go through those walls.

I put a lot of work into that project...lol...I had the lumber (barn lumber)....didn't cost much, just the time to do it.

I had carpet last time I had a safe moved in my house and shortly after I put tile down and not sure I could get another safe over it without tearing the tile up? do not wanta put it in garage as it's not heated or cooled? Sounds like you got that safe done rite!

I used an appliance dolly with inflatable tires and a couple of friends with strong backs...but that safe is only 630 lbs (IIRC)....for a 1,000+ pounder, I wouldn't recommend inflatable tires.

I've never wanted a really big safe...its that "never put all your eggs in one basket" thing....and the smaller ones are much easier to handle....I've only got one safe now, but I have a lot less eggs than before.

The place I got my safe had a safe dolly but corners in my house would not allow them to use the dolly at all as the thing is like laid back at an angle and does not do corners? On carpet they used steel bars and rolled it into place as they had done it a bunch but no more carpet will mean busted tiles I am afraid? It also was around 800 lbs empty ?

Paid in full...as of last Thursday.

Looks like my hunting season will be a little short this year but its all good...that gives me plenty of time to get the rifle and load all sorted out for next year.

And to think this all started because of some dimwit gunsmith getting carried away with his dang drill...I was mad enough at the time to do something I probably would have regretted (maybe)...but now, I'm thinking maybe it was meant to be, lol...if he hadn't done that, I wouldn't have the M48...I still can't say I'm glad he did it though...I liked that 30-06....but whats done is done...and I'm really anxious to get my hands on that M48, I'm sure we'll get along just fine.

I never thought I'd ever actually spend that kind of money on a rifle...but I've wanted to for a loooong time. :lol:

Nosler M48c 280 Ackley
Zeiss HD5 3-15x42 with adjustable turrets
Talley Lightweight mounts (low)

Maybe I dream small...but I think thats a dream come true...now maybe I can move on to actually doing some serious hunting...already been talking to some outfits in the midwest about whitetails...I've all but given up on elk, unless I happen to get drawn for the TN hunt (only 75 miles from my house)...instead I think I'll stick to what I know, and can afford to do more than just once...whitetails...much easier to get tags and such.

No doubt it feels great to make that last payment. This can only intensify the angst.

Ridgerunner665":1neo0sgc said:
Maybe I dream small...but I think thats a dream come true...now maybe I can move on to actually doing some serious hunting...already been talking to some outfits in the midwest about whitetails...I've all but given up on elk, unless I happen to get drawn for the TN hunt (only 75 miles from my house)...instead I think I'll stick to what I know, and can afford to do more than just once...whitetails...much easier to get tags and such.

Why the give up on elk RR665? Just wondering.. Lots of opportunity to hunt the big beasts, almost less expensive than alot of trophy whitetail hunts..

I you're health is good enough you can do a DIY Elk hunt in Colorado with a OTC Tag pretty reasonable but depending where you hunt it could be a billy goat pack out or find a young man in Gunnison and give him some cash to help Ya pack it out? It will be worth the wait for next year and I know yall have some good hunting as you could also hunt Southern Arkansas for around 300.00 bucks and Ya get 6 deer and 2 Turkey tags included!

SJB358":3m39altl said:
Ridgerunner665":3m39altl said:

Why the give up on elk RR665? Just wondering.. Lots of opportunity to hunt the big beasts, almost less expensive than alot of trophy whitetail hunts..

For some reason it just seems "complicated"....lol...I really want to do it, BAD...a DIY hunt seems like an awful lot for one man to take on in such a short window (time off work).....the outfitted elk hunts are more expensive than the midwestern whitetail hunts....I know my way around in the woods as good as anybody but I don't know elk, and going after them "flying blind" on a DIY hunt seems like setting myself up for failure, lol...I'm not exactly afraid of failure, its the thought of wasting all that time and money...that could be wasted on something more likely to produce results.

I haven't given up on it completely, and if my situation ($$$) allows me to do it in the next few years, believe me...I will do it.

Its those darn drawings and tags that get me...I'm pretty ignorant of such things, my big game hunting has always consisted of going to the local store and buying tags....I have put my name in the hat for the last 3 years for TN's elk hunt, but they only draw 5 per year, and one of those is a youth hunt (the 6th is given away every year).

Whitetails are just so much simpler...and I do find them very satisfying and challenging to hunt, especially on large pieces of land (a few thousand acres).

HOGWILD338-378":wci0wm03 said:
I you're health is good enough you can do a DIY Elk hunt in Colorado with a OTC Tag pretty reasonable but depending where you hunt it could be a billy goat pack out or find a young man in Gunnison and give him some cash to help Ya pack it out? It will be worth the wait for next year and I know yall have some good hunting as you could also hunt Southern Arkansas for around 300.00 bucks and Ya get 6 deer and 2 Turkey tags included!

I got deer everywhere right there at home...LOTS of deer, I fill my freezer every year...but getting a "wall hanger" is another matter...I want at least one really nice one on my wall, I've taken dozens over the years and a few pretty nice ones (a couple of 140-150" 8 points), one really big 8 point (first deer I ever killed, easily 160+), and a pretty nice non-typical but I couldn't afford to mount them, took them all before I was 15 years old (no money)...now I have a little money, but the nice deer are very scarce around there...I hunted one for 3 years straight a not long ago, nice 11 point, don't think anybody knew he was there besides me...but he was a wily old buck that didn't get that big by being stupid, I never once laid eyes on him during the daylight once season opened and hunting him in his bedroom wasn't easy either (130 acre island/swamp)...the 4th year a 9 year old boy shot him on the juvenile hunt (his first deer), I gave the kid and his Dad permission to hunt, and I don't regret that one bit...but I admit I'm a little jealous, lol.

That old deer strolled right across the wide open river bottom at 9am that morning...and Jason dropped him with his 243 at about 75 yards...go figure.

Probably 170+, 11 point typical, dressed 218 lbs....the first time I ever noticed his tracks in the dirt...all I could say was "Holy S***!"

I'm not really a trophy hunter...I just want some reminders for my golden years...I don't even have pictures of any of the nice bucks I've taken...didn't have a camera back then.

Great Ya let that kid hunt your spot that is something he will remember forever and I am sure you will get that monster you are looking for sooner than later! Hope that new rifle gets the call and gets bloody ! DIY hunts are a hand full and are not economical but if Ya do not put in for the draw ya never will get your chance here out west! I have 6 Mule deer points saved up and with no big winter kills in the last few years it's taking more points than normal to get a great unit in Colorado ! Not sure what my plan is but I have drawn cow elk and saw nothing but huge Mule deer and they were like feeding in people's front yards and they were all pushing 200 and a couple were over ! Place called Whitmoore! We were hoping for Deer tag but did not work out and of course all we saw was hug deer during a cow hunt! Only elk we did see was on private and the land owner was watching us hard! We just missed them on public but that is ok! Tag soup is just part of the system and I have eaten more than I wanted but being in gods country is ok without a harvest every time but it is depressing and understand your situation as coming from Southern Arkansas I never was able to hunt the west! I still have nightmares on hunts I have messed up but it is what it is ? Arizona is really hard draw as well as Utah and I guess NM a & Colorado are not too hard! Friend is off grid in Montana up around Wolf Creek and has told me that he knows a few elks daily schedule and when and where and how they come and go ! Just might have to visit him as he has everything I do not :)

HOGWILD338-378":1o30881v said:
Thanks I like it myself and had the Leupold and WARNE Rail and rings cerakoted locally!

Dude that's "that best looking Wby. I've ever seen"! Boy-o-Boy count you lucky stars.... are you a lucky fella to have picked that up or what? 1 in 26 and you have one, you might rethink shooting it just for resale value........ but then again, thinking as I do..... I'd sell all the fancy wood stocked Weatherby's and use that one for everything!

No doubt and as RR waiting was and is tuff but it is a sweet piece and I thought about resale for about 2 minutes and said Chris would shoot it and it is a huge honor to have recieved 1 and they were in the process of building him a Mark V TRR in 338 Lapua and it was a sweet rig for sure! It means more to me as a shooter than a pay check! Glad I could help a Warriors Family with the help of Weatherby! I have some nicer Weatherby's than this one but from the certificate that came with it I am not sure any will be as accurate as this 1 as it's bolt is like smoother than anything I have racked! I like the WARNE base and rings a bunch!

RR665, find a good cow hunt in a state you can get too. I know some folks judge the hunt on the kill and I do as well to a certain extent, but most elk country is about as breathtaking as it gets. Chances are your first time out, you may come up a empty handed, it's the nature of the beast, same thing could happen on a guided elk hunt, but learning will occur and you'll be a smarter hunter the next time around. A good cow or spike hunt isn't too hard to draw and chances are the hunts are there because there are plenty of them around that need hunting.

Don't get me wrong, I like to take my animal, but the hunt to find them and close with them is where it's at. It can be alot of fun and at worst you'll get a close up look of the Rocky's and chances are, you'll enjoy it.

Back