.280 A.I. VS 30-06

I hope all goes well for both of your wives. Any surgery is tough and takes a lot out of one in recovery. Especially as one ages. I have found that we often pay the penalties of our misbegotten youth.

I feel badly that Donna has to have both in less than a year. I had hernia surgery this last year and I have to have it done again as well. So far so good for her done hip!

Oldtrader3":2ad80wdy said:
Remember that DMW Bell had cojones the size of brass canon balls! He killed 1500 elephants with the .285 Rigby (7MM Mauser) and the 6.5 MS. Not something most of us should try more than once?

Well Bell also owned two (2) .416 Rigby rifles. What do you think he used those for? Diker? People of his era would exaggerate, what we would call lie today. If he really did kill 1,000 elephants with a 7X57 how many do you think he wounded that died slowly later? He never talks about that of course. He is another BSer from a bygone era who tried and succeeded to be noticed among a host of elephant hunters by claiming to kill the animals with a cartridge suited for deer.

A 7X57 is not an elephant rifle.

Vince do you not have a 280AI? No one has talked about the cool factor of the 280 AI :wink:.
I am going to start to look for a 25 Whelen this year and then I believe that I am finished with buying at least for this year.

Blessings,
Dan

Dan,

Don't be a quitter.
Nobody likes a quitter. :)

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Well, I'd reckon you've been properly rebuked, Dan. Now stop talking foolishness. Find a good 25 Whelen and then start on the next project. So many cartridges; so little time.

Yes he is. I do think the good Dr. should start off the new year with a Marlin 1895 45-70.

JD338

JD338":3hvy1hfz said:
Yes he is. I do think the good Dr. should start off the new year with a Marlin 1895 45-70.

JD338

Would a Model 86 Winchester suffice? It's on my bucket list. :grin: I'm still toying with the idea of a 6.5X68S built on another Winchester action, as well. Oh, I have the disease. There is no doubt that another rifle or two (or perhaps a handgun or three) will enter into my possession this year. Tragically, there is no reliable AA for gun addicts.

Here here on the disease part. I guess the only nice thing about doing it for so long and having so many is it get's harder to think of new things. My list is down to 6 or 7 this year (well there are actually more but there isn't the urgency with some of them). I only have 32 custom barreled rifles and a dozen barrels in the safe for the dozen or so actions waiting their turn to become something. I read this morning of a guy that had 867 guns +/- a dozen. I feel so inadequate at about 10% of that. I need a support group for the depression about to come on.

I'll have to go build something or go shooting to help cure my depression. I'm thinking the 7-338 Norma Imp I got the reamer for 6 weeks ago, and still haven't built, is a good one. A 300wsm or 300wm is next, then a 6.5x68 Imp, another 30-338 Norma Imp, a 6.5 Creedmoor, and maybe a .270x68 Imp since I don't have anything .270 caliber I shoot. The madness......when will it end?

Take two aspirin, do the build and post the results of your shooting. You'll feel so much better.

DrMike, I am still quite happy that there is no cure for this problem that so many have on this site. It would make it a little boring :mrgreen: if everyone got the cure :wink:!

Blessings,
Dan

DrMike":14la0d4v said:
Tragically, there is no reliable AA for gun addicts.

I wouldn't actually call that a tragedy.... :grin:

I've spent a ton of money on hunting and guns- the rest of it I wasted.

An observation- a young acquaintance of my wife told her she wouldn't put up with her man buying a bunch of guns and chasing animals.

My wife replied she was fine with it...it kept me happy and it was far better than me buying a bunch of booze and chasing other women!

Well said, Hodgeman. (y) See how the malady is beginning to muddle my thinking. :? I just hate wasting money. :mrgreen:

hodgeman, I sure like the way you think :mrgreen:!! I told my bride that I might get another rifle as the 25 Whelen is just what I need to complete my collection she gave me one of these :roll:, good thing was she didn't say no (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Back