Cottontail Rabbit

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
Was elk hunting on the last day of the cow hunt for my unit last weekend. Saw no elk but there were tons of cottontail rabbits running around.

Luckily I had my .22 and popped a couple of them in noggin.

I have cooked rabbit a couple times before but was wondering if someone had any new (to me) way to cook them aside from the old roll em in flour and fry em in oil method?

Any recipes to share here?

Pretty much any recipe for chicken will work with rabbit. My wife and I ate rabbit nearly every night when I was starting my doctorate. I was killing several rabbits each day as I needed the hearts to prepare heart mitochondria. Rather than waste the meat, as soon as a heart preparation was spinning in the ultracentrifuge, I would skin them out and hang the carcases in the freezer. My good lady cooked rabbit every night; it was protein for the family. We enjoyed roast rabbit, baked rabbit, fried rabbit, rabbit salad, etc. I often suggested that she could write a cookbook, "1001 ways to prepare rabbit." No specific recipe, however, as I haven't cooked rabbit in several decades. They got their revenge when I became grossly allergic to rabbit dander. All it took was one wee snowshoe hare this past year to remind me of how painful conjunctivitis can be. Breathing can get to be a bit difficult when the throat begins to constrict. I supervise Noah when he wants to shoot rabbit, but I dare no touch them.

Like the good Doctor said, anything you can do with chicken you can do it with Rabbit.
Experimenting is the fun part and the eating is culinary delight.

I always add a little corn meal to the flower when I fry rabbit. Keeps em from drying out. My favorite way to cook rabbit is to cut them in half length wise and cook them over mesquite fire. Just make sure the fire isn't too hot. You can season them to your preference. I like some Chacheres or Slap your mamma.

one of my favorite recipes for them.

split them up kind of like a chicken. fry them in flour and corn meal with salt and pepper paprika.

set them aside

use very dry white wine. juice of one large lime mince a sweet onion and garlic basil lemon grass pepper salt mushrooms, place in glass pan roast 350 for about 6 hrs adding water every couple of hrs.

you have choice here. add coconut milk sugar hot pepper and yellow curry paste.

or remove rabbit from pan it will want to fall off the bone. remove bones add cream and a little cream cheese and stir in. add meat.

we like it with jalapeño honey corn bread and mashed potatoes, sweet corn on the side.

my next all time favorite

rabbit chill

I usually make this when I can find a large amount of rabbits.

6 10 cleaned rabbits baked in water and butter for 6 hrs meat removed
three minced large onions, several cloves of garlic, minced cumin, ground coriander, chilly powder, 3 ounces of dark chocolate, salt, large can of tomato paste, large can of spicy v8 juice, two hot peppers.

after several hours of letting this cook on low. add some lime juice.

cook for another hr or two on low stirring frequently.

place in fridge till morning. heat it up and serve with sour cream onions cheese and corn bread. might need to double your heartburn medicine.

Back