tapped the trigger.

If I buy a 300 to take along, it will have to be an HH. I've owned a couple of win mags, never one I really fell in love with, traded for other things I needed. Leaving the 06 at home would be like cheating on a girlfriend. Just not right. The most spectacular shot I ever made was with that rifle, had a rare snow storm hit on opening day of deer season in Oregon. Slipping through the juniper I slipped, rolled downhill and busted out a real good buck. As the rifle came up the lenses were covered in snow. He wasn't far and one more jump from gone. I simply lined up the top turret and tapped the trigger rolled him right there.
Tough problem to have, I'll have to take a spare of some kind.

That would have been a great shot! A 300 H&H would be fun if an individual never made it to Africa. However, the 30-06 would work just fine, I should imagine.

I hunted the EC last May and had the time of my life. Enjoy and bring your wife to Capetown after the hunt while you are there

salmonchaser":1bvjzr5d said:
If I buy a 300 to take along, it will have to be an HH. I've owned a couple of win mags, never one I really fell in love with, traded for other things I needed. Leaving the 06 at home would be like cheating on a girlfriend. Just not right. The most spectacular shot I ever made was with that rifle, had a rare snow storm hit on opening day of deer season in Oregon. Slipping through the juniper I slipped, rolled downhill and busted out a real good buck. As the rifle came up the lenses were covered in snow. He wasn't far and one more jump from gone. I simply lined up the top turret and tapped the trigger rolled him right there.
Tough problem to have, I'll have to take a spare of some kind.

Many South Africans hunt with a 308 using 130gr GS Custom bullets. One PH said he got a complete pass through on an eland bull using that combo. Your 3006 is the most popular hunting rifle over there and with good bullets (and shooting) will take down all plains game species up to eland.

Drove down to Cabellas last weekend to look at a pre 64 300 HH they have. She was in pretty rough shape, pitting on the outside looked like the kind of rust you get from storing a rifle in a soft case under the bed, and the sling was on upside down, so I passed.
Been looking on line as well, not sold on the idea yet, but the idea of taking the 300 HH to Africa sure has appeal.
Ordered up the book perfect shot, 13 months to go.

Don,
If you get the opportunity go for a kudu. To me they are the classiest of plains game. If I ever make over the kudu is on my list for sure.
Congratulations friend. I'm looking forward to reading about your preparation for this trip.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Don, I am sure glad you have this hunt booked. I am sure it is going to be a trip of a lifetime. Taking a 300 H&H would be the icing on the cake (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Sir:

A lot of locals in RSA do use the 308, and some with lighter bullets than I would recommend. However, please bear in mind that these people are shooting the animals in question on a regular basis. Familiarity helps with proficiency.

That said, the 308 and/or the 30-06 will work just fine for you.

The 300 H/H brings more than nostalgia to the hunt, although it brings that as well.

It also brings just a little more of everything ( ballistically ), if you should need it. Same with bullets. That is why we prefer premium and heavier bullets. ( refer to my mom's post earlier on this thread )

You will be spending a lot of money on a hunt of a lifetime, and the bullets will be the cheapest part of the hunt. If your PH finishes what you started for any reason or even worse if you wound an animal and lose it, in both cases, you still pay for it. Never a good thing but it happens.

Dr. Mike. If you should decide to accompany this gentleman on his hunt, we will arrange for a Sedan Chair for you, unless your knees have miraculously turned into teenage knees.

Best Regards

Jamila

Africa Huntress":1wiqvw48 said:
Dr. Mike. If you should decide to accompany this gentleman on his hunt, we will arrange for a Sedan Chair for you, unless your knees have miraculously turned into teenage knees.

Best Regards

Jamila

Loving it, Jamila. These knees are not going to become teenage knees anytime soon. :mrgreen:

salmonchaser":36pr4lig said:
Yeah, a warthog is on the list, a friend has a couple sitting on his bar, just the skulls. Not sure about zebra, have to think about that a little. The outfit has quite a selection from eland to duiker. I have a year to build my list, if Sande decides to hunt we're going to have the opportunity to take quite a sampling of what they offer. Kinda fun to have tough decisions like that.

I am very happy on your behalf for your upcomming african hunting trip.

Warthog is a wonderful animal to hunt like so many of the other game animals living on the african continent. The truth is in regards to all the animals found there is that a foreign hunter can bring a .22-250 and make a full safari on that very caliber alone. The variety is so great that almost any caliber can find its use.
If hunting on freerange land certain animals takes time to hunt because they are hard to learn the nature of. Kudu in the bosveld or springbok on the grassveld takes a long time for the average foreign hunter to hunt, they will spend their intire 14 days hunting these animals alone and may get nothing but a saur taste in the mouth of no succes.

A thing you must not cheat yourself for is to ask the safari operator is how to HUNT or how YOU want to hunt!. Many "hunting tourist" shoots game in Africa but none of may have actually hunted. Most of them are led up to the game and a black farmhelper in blue overalls set up the shootingstick and the client just merely just push the "playbutton". The shot may be a fine shot but the experience of hunting were put on Holiday. Request the hunting operator that you would also like to hunt even if its just an impala ram or an old none-productive female blesbok. The memories of a true hunt will last longer than the number of game killed during a day.

The quality of the hunt is most important. We've been assured we need to be ready to hike. None in our group would be satisfied with anything else. Even the Major, who was shot to ribbons in Afghanistan, wants to walk up his game. Sure, the chance encounter while driving would be taken advantage of, but not what we're looking for.

Back