Need help with 280 Rem. load

"I have had great success with WMR and WXR."

WMR has worked quite well for me in my .270 Win. and .300 Win. Mag. Haven't had much load work for the .280 Rem. yet but what I've done so far does show promise. Thanks to a friend in the Los Angeles area, I managed to get four 8 pound cans of the stuff. :shock: What was I thinking? :lol: I will say accuracy in the .270 and .300 Mag. has been very good and I do have high hopes for the .280. I did get some good speed with IMR7828SSC with the 150 gr. ABLR but accuracy sucked big time. (3010FPS but 4" groups) I think I'll give WMR a try with that bullet. Might not go as fast but maybe I'll get some tiny clusters.
Never could figure out why when WMR works so well in the .270 and .280 that it is totally erratic in the 30-06? :?: Guess it isn't a good do-all powder. :roll:
Paul B.

DrMike":ico2a9qu said:
I've used R905 (which I managed to snag when it was available briefly here in Canada).

R905 and RL22 may well be identical powders, very close (if not identical) to MRP.

DrMike":6um4szjy said:
tecumseh":6um4szjy said:
What powder do you like for heavier bullets in the 280 Dr. Mike? I got a box of 150 gr PT to try and thought about starting with IMR-4350.

I have had great success with WMR and WXR. I laid in a supply when Winchester ceased marketing these, but the lack of availability precludes using them for most people today. Thus, I've used R905 (which I managed to snag when it was available briefly here in Canada). Again, Rottweil powders are not generally available in NA, so that is usually a "no go." Thus, I finally get to commonly available powders.

I've had good success with IMR 4350 and H 100 V. I've had even better results on heavier bullets with RL19, VN165 and W760. More recently, I've focused on VN560 and VN165, either of which give me excellent accuracy and fine accuracy with 150 grain bullets.

The place I get my powder at has VN165 in stock, I'll swing in next week and pick up a can.

With the 160 Partitions, in the .280 Rem, I have had good luck in both accuracy and speed with IMR 7828 SSC also.

J D 338 I tried 57gr. of RL 19 couldn't tell any difference in group size from the 56 gr. load ....

Back