Magnetospeed Sporter chrono

Leslil

Beginner
Mar 20, 2012
Anybody have one? You like it?
I have one on order to give a go with my new Mashburn. Hopefully it is a good investment.

Mostly good reviews. You can not use it on pistols and some other firearms. Also some say that mounting it changes point of impact negating working up loads and chronoing at the same time.

I have the Sporter and it is worth every penny. Forget about changes in wind, sunlight, or having to worry about shooting the stand your chrony is on because with the MagnetoSpeed you only have to have it firmly attached to the barrel. If you look through the bore and cannot see the bayonet (the sensor) then you're good to fire. Set it up right before shooting, make sure the mount is tight on the barrel after each shot and you're golden.

The Sporter model looks very interesting and simple to use. I hope you let us know how you like it, the reviews so far seem quite good.

The Sporter has two rubber spacers to go between the base of the bayonet (that's what the sensor is called) and the barrel. Due to the lack of spacers, it may not work with some barrels BUT the Sporter can be sued with muzzle brakes (if they are not too long or too large in diameter).The display is smaller than the V3 and it doesn't have some of the function buttons. Velocity is all I really need. I care less about the deviations and whatnot. I can do math and I always write the readings in my version of the Book of Sorrows. For about $200 less than a V3 model, I really don't consider my purchase of a Sporter to be something that leaves me wanting.

For half the money of the V3 the Sporter is looking awfully good.........

Have been running one since late February and it has been worth ever penny. Has not missed reading a shot and is easy to use. Does change POI but if it shoots good groups with it on the barrel then will shoot same (or better) with it off. Have not worked up any load that didn't shoot the basically the same with off the barrel just different POI.

MAinAR":3dxfxwzm said:
Have been running one since late February and it has been worth ever penny. Has not missed reading a shot and is easy to use. Does change POI but if it shoots good groups with it on the barrel then will shoot same (or better) with it off. Have not worked up any load that didn't shoot the basically the same with off the barrel just different POI.

Great to hear, I have decided to buy one as well sometime soon hopefully and put the Chrony up for sale, I'm tired of it not working half the time. In the winter when it is overcast it barely works at all.

I'd be in for one of them as well.. My chrono is pretty good most of the time, but the ease of set up for the Magneto Speed seems to darned tempting. Hate spending 20 minutes of precious range time monkeying with the tripod and getting everything aligned "just so"..

My Shooting Master Beta Chrony works okay but has to be set up in front of the line. I see a Magnetospeed in my future?

I have the new Sporter model and used it last weekend for the first time. It worked perfectly as far as readings were concerned and as I increased the powder charge the unit did show a slight increase in speed on the way up. It seemed to be really accurate in it's readings.

I wasn't sure whether to use reg or Hi 1 for the sensitivity setting and used Hi 1. I did not get one false/no reading and the readings were pretty close in spread.

The only problem I had was keeping the bayonet tight as it would loosen up after three rounds or so and need adjustment. I don't like how the strap pulls tight into the buckle and the tightening knob didn't keep it as tight as I would have liked. That's my only real complaint about the unit. It could be user error so I will see if I can figure it out.

The unit does alter the point of impact quite a bit (1.5"L and 1.5" H) but I was only using this to check speeds on my loads. Once I found what I wanted to see I removed it and shot for groups.

The display was easy to use and scrolling through the program was a breeze. For $189.00 I don't think you could find a nicer unit.

I contacted the company and was told to give them a call about the issues I was having with the strap. They got back to me really quick so no complaints there.

I'll tell you what........overall I like the idea of not having to shoot through something as I've heard about and seen too many blown up chronos and sun screens.

When I get the strap/ tightening knob issue figured out this thing will be one of the nicer things I've purchased for shooting. It's just that nice.

If you are looking for a new chrono do yourself a favor and check this thing out.

I don't care about shooting groups with my chrono, I just want accurate data? I don't like going out in front of the line to set up my chrono. The little Walter Mitty's in camo with their flash hiders set on the sand bag at the back of the bench make me nervous enough without having to sit in front of them with my chrono, eating their hot brass?

This is same experience I have had with my new Sporter model. What did they say about the strap and knob? it loosens up after a few shots. Definitely needs a more robust attachment method. Some of my loads have over 5" of vertical POI change(300 win mag 215 Hybrid).
while others are close.

excaliber":3pdgh9c9 said:
I have the new Sporter model and used it last weekend for the first time. It worked perfectly as far as readings were concerned and as I increased the powder charge the unit did show a slight increase in speed on the way up. It seemed to be really accurate in it's readings.

I wasn't sure whether to use reg or Hi 1 for the sensitivity setting and used Hi 1. I did not get one false/no reading and the readings were pretty close in spread.

The only problem I had was keeping the bayonet tight as it would loosen up after three rounds or so and need adjustment. I don't like how the strap pulls tight into the buckle and the tightening knob didn't keep it as tight as I would have liked. That's my only real complaint about the unit. It could be user error so I will see if I can figure it out.

The unit does alter the point of impact quite a bit (1.5"L and 1.5" H) but I was only using this to check speeds on my loads. Once I found what I wanted to see I removed it and shot for groups.

The display was easy to use and scrolling through the program was a breeze. For $189.00 I don't think you could find a nicer unit.

I contacted the company and was told to give them a call about the issues I was having with the strap. They got back to me really quick so no complaints there.

I'll tell you what........overall I like the idea of not having to shoot through something as I've heard about and seen too many blown up chronos and sun screens.

When I get the strap/ tightening knob issue figured out this thing will be one of the nicer things I've purchased for shooting. It's just that nice.

If you are looking for a new chrono do yourself a favor and check this thing out.

I have not been able to contact them yet but I will as soon as I get a chance. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one having trouble keeping things tight. They do need a better way to attach the bayonet to the barrel. As soon as I talk to them I'll post here.

SnakeRiverEric said:
This is same experience I have had with my new Sporter model. What did they say about the strap and knob? it loosens up after a few shots. Definitely needs a more robust attachment method. Some of my loads have over 5" of vertical POI change(300 win mag 215 Hybrid).
while others are close.

I'm looking forward to the field testing of the Magnetospeed chronograph.
The Ohler 35 does a great job but its a pain to carry, set up and get aligned up prior to shooting.

JD338

Having the screw knob loose when getting the strap tight, and then getting the strap tighter my closing in the knob has worked well for keeping the unit tight on the barrel. The rough surface of the barrel may have helped also.

I fired 10 or so rounds with a braked 280 Rem and the chrony mount didn't not loosen. I was surprised. I check after each round to be sure I didn't blow the bayonet apart.

I already know what loads are the most accurate so the point of impact shift is a non issue.

I'll be looking at one of these for a future purchase.
Great info here. Thank you!

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Back