ST Croix rods and Ambassadeur Record 6601 review.

That, or I could make sure the nut on the reel seat is tightened every morning by the nut driving the boat. Three of them were 1/2 turn to a full turn loose this morning. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have any St. Croix rods. Yet. Maybe next year. My main rods are Shimano's made from IM7 to IM9 graphite. Happy to say even though I fish hard I've never had one break. Super sensitive for fishing plastic worms in fresh for bass to freelining live finger mullet or shrimp in the salt.
Thing is I absolutely hate the reel seats on my latest 2 baitcast rods, the handle turns to tighten the seat from the rear, not a nut to tighten from the front. The result is when a good fish pulls it often loosens the reel seat because you are holding it in your hand. That aggravates me to no end. Hence my leaning towards trying a St. Croix.
About 20 years ago I bought 2 Ugly Stick lite, Professional Graphite rods from walmart for about $30. A MH and a Medium. I am still using that MH as my main worm rod. It seems just as sensitive but heavier. Those rods are really underrated and cheap. Super tough also. I wouldn't be caught dead buying one today but I think that's because I'm caught up in "The more it costs the better it must be and who brags about an Ugly Stick anyway." mindset.
If your breaking rods on those big Kings buy a Ugly Stick and try one out. Years ago we were fishing the Marathon hump off Marathon Key. The water was 3 to 600 feet deep and blackfin tuna's started boiling on the surface. I hooked one that was almost 15 lbs. (Blackfins don't get as big as some of the others) I was using a 4000 series spinning reel and a medium duty Ugly Stick rod. That rod stayed doubled for nearly an hour but I landed the fish.
I use 12 lb. mono on my crankbait rods. Everything else is braid. From 8lb. to 40lb. Mostly 20 lb. Right now I have Power Pro, Power Pro slick 8 and Suffix 832 spooled. My absolute favorite is the Suffix 832 but they all get the job done.

I bought a new Ambassadeur 6601 HC Record for myself now and it is definitely a nice reel, caught the first fish on it today. For those interested it looks like there are some good end of summer clearance sales right now on some of them. I do wonder if that particular model has been discontinued since they are up to 50% off right now depending on where you shop.

Back