.224 64gr. HSM ammo

6mm Remington

Ammo Smith
Feb 27, 2006
64 gr. bonded bullet loaded by HSM for work use. Guess at about 3000 - 3100 fps. 25yards.
Bullettests-5-4-12003.jpg

Made it into the 4th jug and was inside.
Bullettests-5-4-12012.jpg

Bullettests-5-4-12013.jpg

Pretty impressive for such a little guy!
Bullettests-5-4-12018.jpg

Scott,

Yes, it is the .224 cal 64 gr BSB (Bonded Solid Base) bullet.
Pretty impressive results.

I shot it out of my 22-250 at 3372 fps and recovered one in the 5th jug.
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=18868

JD338

Scott I believe that Jim is right and that is the bullet they are loading. I feel pretty good about it penetrating glass, doors, and things of that nature and still doing what it's supposed to do. Pretty impressive. It was shot out of a Ruger mini-14.

Guess I should add that this obviously was from a .223 Remington in the mini-14.

David,

The .224 cal 64 gr BSB was designed for a Gov't agency that wanted a bullet that would penetrate a car door with the window up or down and still inflict a lethal wound into a BG.
I am a believer that Nosler has succedded in doing just that.

I am going to put one through the shoulders of a WT deer this summer when we start crop damage hunts.

JD338

JD338":15f36ppw said:
David,

The .224 cal 64 gr BSB was designed for a Gov't agency that wanted a bullet that would penetrate a car door with the window up or down and still inflict a lethal wound into a BG.
I am a believer that Nosler has succedded in doing just that.
Absolutely correct on that one! Even before they started doing the bonded bullets for this, we began using the Partitions if a door or something else like this would be encountered as they had tested a lot of bullets and they found the Partition worked better than the others they tested.

I am going to put one through the shoulders of a WT deer this summer when we start crop damage hunts.
I can't wait to see the result. I bet it works just perfectly for you with minimal bloodshot. It's going to act just like it's older brothers would! Nice summer fat whitetail will be really wonderful to eat also! I'm hungry now.
JD338

David

You were a busy boy David:) thats some great performance there too. Hey Nosler how about building some more like that like maybe a 250-275 gr protected point for the 35 Whelen :)

David,

First up will be the 338 RUM with the 300 gr AB, hopefully at a longer range. Then the 22-250 with the 64 gr BSB.
Either way, fresh back staps on the grill. :mrgreen:

JD338

gerry":1kkmmmmv said:
You were a busy boy David:) thats some great performance there too. Hey Nosler how about building some more like that like maybe a 250-275 gr protected point for the 35 Whelen :)
I wasn't too busy Gerry, four shots, four kills! :eek: After I left and was down the road a ways, the only thing that came to my head was you idiot, why didn't you pull the .12 gauge out and shoot a slug through those things? I had water jugs left over and never thought about it till it was too late and I didn't want to turn around and go back. :oops:

gerry":393ymh9q said:

Gerry,

A 275 gr BSB for the 35 Whelen would be just the ticket for the thicket.

JD338

JD338":34uo8r21 said:
gerry":34uo8r21 said:

Gerry,

A 275 gr BSB for the 35 Whelen would be just the ticket for the thicket.

JD338

Man you guys like em big and heavy. Maybe one of these days that 338-06 will come to fruition! I'm thinking about leaning towards that on that 03-A3 action I had talked about previously. 8) I guess I just need to save up now!

6mm Remington":2wjgu540 said:
Man you guys like em big and heavy. Maybe one of these days that 338-06 will come to fruition! I'm thinking about leaning towards that on that 03-A3 action I had talked about previously. 8) I guess I just need to save up now!

That would be a cool build David. I would even sponsor you with your first bag of bullets if you do the build!

That 64gr bullet looks pretty good. I would think if you were hunting deer with a 22, that would be as good as any. Especially at 22-250 speeds.

SJB358":hko48jtm said:
6mm Remington":hko48jtm said:

That would be a cool build David. I would even sponsor you with your first bag of bullets if you do the build!

That 64gr bullet looks pretty good. I would think if you were hunting deer with a 22, that would be as good as any. Especially at 22-250 speeds.

Nice work David!! I'll sponsor you a bag of brass! Might as well AI it while your at it!

How sure are you that you are getting 3100 fps out of the test ammo? Those bullets don't really look like they expanded much less than the 22 250 test! Can't wait to get my grimmy hands on some of these for the .222. Are they going to be available in packs of 50 or 100?

"How sure are you that you are getting 3100 fps out of the test ammo?"

Many of us here have Chronographs and check the velocity of the loads & ammo we're testing. Hope that helps!

Guy

Back