7mm . ???

jimbires

Handloader
Aug 16, 2011
about all I can say for sure on this bullet is , man it's pretty . it is a 7mm . it now weighs 128 grains . I'm almost certain the guy using it said it was a 160 grain Partition . but on another forum a guy pointed out to me that it had a copper bottom and partitions are open , and this is true . so I don't know who made this bullet . if you know please let me know . this bullet was recovered from a bull moose . the hunter forgot it at the camp . I brought it home because his buddy has a camp about an hour away from where I live . I've lost their phone numbers , and I haven't heard from them to be able to return it . Jim

Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Looks like a Hornady bullet to me. 7mm 154 gr or 162 gr.

JD338

I would have opined that it was a Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. It does look like those few I've recovered.

DrMike":d0im07rp said:
I would have opined that it was a Trophy Bonded Bear Claw. It does look like those few I've recovered.

That is kinda what I thought too Mike. But I think they engrave something on the bullet base with the TBBC's don't they? Scotty

The older version have a "T" engraved into the bottom metal. However, I can't see the bottom that clearly. I never recovered any, but another possibility that suggests itself to me is that it could be a Bitterroot Bonded Core bullet.

DrMike":2b4fzxio said:
The older version have a "T" engraved into the bottom metal. However, I can't see the bottom that clearly. I never recovered any, but another possibility that suggests itself to me is that it could be a Bitterroot Bonded Core bullet.

Oh yeah! Those were supposed to be "the bullet" back in the 80's for tough stuff weren't they Mike? Either way, it is a pretty well structured bullet in the picture. Might be neat to file it in half to ID if it is a PT'ed type bullet or just a bonded type like a AB or IB? Scotty

The TBBC has a "T" in the bottom of the bullet. The ones I recovered last week didn't look like this. I still think its a Hornady.

JD338

I'll clean it up a little to check if I can see anything . I'm not sure right now , but I think it is a Partition or "A" frame style bullet . I'll be able to tell more after I clean it . Jim

I cleaned it up a little , and sawed it in half . it is NOT a Partition or an "A "style bullet . you can see a little groove in the middle of each petal that folded back . maybe a hollow point or plastic tip ? I don't know . Jim

P8170011.jpg

P8170012.jpg

Good show Jim. Whatever it is, it certainly seems to be a tough bullet. Pretty thick copper base, and it folded back pretty nicely. Scotty

Well, Jim may be correct on this one. Whatever it is, it does appear to be a tough bullet.

JD338 , I think your right on this being a hornady . I shot a 139 into water jugs last night . the 139 petals look to be the same as this mystery bullet . Jim

The TBBC have a much longer copper base and they still have that "T" on the bottom so it is not a Speer . Still a dead moose :mrgreen: they used to also make a tipped TBBC but I do not know much about it ?

JD338":2knyz79p said:
Looks like a Hornady bullet to me. 7mm 154 gr or 162 gr.

JD338
Thinking 154 from the angle of the picture does not look like a 162 Boat tail

With that thick jacket I would have guessed it to be a Speer Mag Tip.

Back