154Grain Hornady SP 7mm08

lanman

Beginner
Dec 3, 2011
154 Hornady BTSP out of my 16.5" barreled 7mm-08.. So not real fast.. It did go 6 jugs, I was surprised.. Weighed 99.5 for a total of 65% weight retention.. The frontal diameter was disappointing, but I suppose it will get the job done.

AMjNMrK_PsCmCmnMpJDCJ5YE8ET1DGkWjC0mpkeuUrwk=w227-h403-no

-Yum1FWzXH19iKb_WMgtqLN4k84OCMJudIOPR6pI_1NO=w1768-h994-no

xnVBltA4XJnq87txIiIuEVwszpvgswdyY05IGJ7UEDXB=w1768-h994-no

8as8GS3TTvp6gAdNQbzjt9ssiei1dItiUaGLk7bhbalQ=w560-h994-no

Nice! That would put a deer or elk in the freezer.

JD338

Surprisingly good penetration. As JD338 says, it will put game on the ground.

FYI

This is a Hornady 154 SP Interlock. No such thing as a 154 Boat tail soft point.

Not too bad. Hornady does make pretty good bullets. How did they shoot out of your shorty 7-08 Dan?

SJB358":80w6tfqz said:
Not too bad. Hornady does make pretty good bullets. How did they shoot out of your shorty 7-08 Dan?

it was a one shot group, minute of milkjug...!!

FOTIS":2gxo2n2u said:
FYI

This is a Hornady 154 SP Interlock. No such thing as a 154 Boat tail soft point.

Ha!....I stand corrected...they are not BT Either..

Sorry, i was in a rush

MwNAf0_mAr-rEaDP4Yb7n-aYnD_U0cxdJ43lTSOTGby6=w225-h400-no

Not an issue sir any idea on muzzle velocity? I will be sending a few to Scottie to push at 3200 fps on jugs to see how they will do from my 7mm wby mag......

FOTIS":1swm3av4 said:
Not an issue sir any idea on muzzle velocity? I will be sending a few to Scottie to push at 3200 fps on jugs to see how they will do from my 7mm wby mag......

Best guess with QL puts them around 2575

Hmm I am pushing them close to 3300 I doubt they will hold up.

I'd hunt it! (y)

Except it would kinda rattle down the bore of the .30 cals... Weird... :wink:

Bullet looks good actually. I've seen guys have great success with the good old Hornady Interlock bullets. That's a classic bullet for mid-power 7's.

Guy

FOTIS":2bmko84p said:

That's my guess as well.. 4 jugs and shrapnel left over... :grin:

I load these for my brother in his Ruger 280 rem. He has taken two caribou with those bullets the past two years and got exits on both animals.

SJB358":1o1br51j said:
FOTIS":1o1br51j said:

That's my guess as well.. 4 jugs and shrapnel left over... :grin:

You might be surprised at what these bullets will do. This was my goto bullet in my 7mm Mag. for at least 10 years. I always loaded max, sometimes over, forgive me I was young.
I hunted the deep woods so a lot of my shots were under 50 yds. Many as close as 15 or so. I once shot a large boar at about 20 yds. He ran about 35 yds and piled up. There was a perfect round hole where the bullet entered and no exit hole. In fact after penetrating the really thick shield it never made it to the opposite side at all. But it sure killed that old boar dead as a doorknob.
I shot a lot of game with this bullet over the years and found it to be well balanced between penetration and expansion in my 7 mag. Not once did I experience bullet failure.
I am interested in how they perform with water and milk jugs.

Well I tried to capture two of these today and both instances resulted in tiny pieces of copper and lead. Nothing to really take a picture of but 3250 was too much for them. They hammered two jugs and that was about it. A few tiny pieces did get caught on jug three, but nothing of significance. I'm betting around 3K they'd be fine.

To be fair this was at about 15 yards which is hard on any bullet and at distance they'd probably be just fine.

It sounds like a 3000 fps impact velocity or lower is in order for this one.

JD338

Back