Daughter Draws 2 Antelope Permits

BeeTee

Handloader
Jul 27, 2011
It's a good day! My daughter and I each applied for both an antelope buck tag and doe tag (B) for an area/ranch that we have permission to hunt - that has lots of antelope. I wasn't successful for either tag, but she got them both. This'll be her first time bagging an animal - if she's successful. This'll be so much fun!

Season opener is still a ways off, but I'll post pics! Teased her a bit last night about the coming anatomy lesson. :)
BT

That's great. Nothing like an antelope hunt to really hook a person on hunting. The weather is typically nicer and if the populations are up you also see lots of them. Another plus is that you can really hunt them all day and not just the first and last portions of the day.

She'll use a Ruger Scout 308 that she's shot (and likes) quite a bit, and we'll practice a time or two between now and then. She's good with it! It's light, small (fits her well) and the adjustable buttplate works great to get the length of pull just right. Recoil isn't a problem - not sure if the flame suppressor cuts recoil or not, but it doesn't kick that much. BT

Congrats and b best of luck.
Keep us updated as the future lies in the precious hands of the next generation.

Thanks for everyone's comments. I'll be sure to post pics once the hunt is over. The ranch had several hundred antelope on their property last year, and there aren't that many tags issued for the entire area. It's amazing that she drew both a buck and a doe tag (which arrived yesterday, by the way).

Daughter-field01.jpg

Did some field practice yesterday. Daughter shot a couple of 1.5 to 2" 3-shot groups at 100 yards from the sitting position with a shooting stick, and she shot a couple of 5-6" groups from the unsupported standing position (as shown). She's shot hundreds of rounds of 223 from the bench and a fair amount with a 22LR under varying conditions, but this was the first time for a hunting rifle in simulated hunting positions. She did great!

Neat picture, BeeTee. She has good form with the rifle. No doubt she will connect this fall. Go get 'em.

6mm Remington":7w73izdr said:
Oh and antelope are some of the best meat out there period!!

Indeed!

Funny, it's the ONLY red meat my wife really likes. She puts up with all the rest, but she truly enjoys pronghorn backstrap steaks lightly sauteed in olive oil & garlic on the stove top.... Yum!

We're out of antelope, except one roast in the freezer I think. She had NO PROBLEM with me going antelope hunting again this year. :grin:

Guy

Back