Archery... mechanical broadheads

Polaris

Handloader
Dec 16, 2009
Getting back into some archery hunting this year due to some changes in the local deer population. Used to hunt very tight cover with heavy cut-on-contact heads. Swamps, river bottoms, cornfields, etc. My new local hunting option is very open, almost oak savannah with some hayfields mixed in.

Considering the switch to a mechanical broadhead to increase accuracy potential on longer shots. I've already switched to a high velocity single cam bow pushing 70# draw weight and am shooting it quite effectively to 50 yards. Any suggestions on mech heads that will closely mirror field point trajectory and do the job on whitetails?

Polaris":2xlca4yt said:
Getting back into some archery hunting this year due to some changes in the local deer population. Used to hunt very tight cover with heavy cut-on-contact heads. Swamps, river bottoms, cornfields, etc. My new local hunting option is very open, almost oak savannah with some hayfields mixed in.

Considering the switch to a mechanical broadhead to increase accuracy potential on longer shots. I've already switched to a high velocity single cam bow pushing 70# draw weight and am shooting it quite effectively to 50 yards. Any suggestions on mech heads that will closely mirror field point trajectory and do the job on whitetails?

Yup,
Rocket Steel heads, 100 and 125gr..they fly great, and just hammer Deer!

Lou

I used Grim Reaper mechanicals a couple times and they shot and worked great, but I'm still partial to the 100gr thunderheads that I've been using since I started bowhunting in 1984.

tecumseh":uxkgxh99 said:
I'm still partial to the 100gr thunderheads that I've been using since I started bowhunting in 1984.

I agree!, I've been using Thunderheads for 25yrs and have never had any reason what so ever to change. If I were to ever try mechs I would go with the NAP Spitfire or the Swacker.

I have used Muzzy 3 blade 100 gr fixed blade for years. They fly great and smash bone very well. I don't worry
about shoulder bones, I just aim for my exit and shoot.

Last year I switched to a Mathews x bow and used the Dead Zone 2" mechanical by NAP.
Oh man, these broadheads shoot well and make a huge hole. The blood trails are amazing! You have to see it to believe it.

JD338

I have hunted whitetail for years using 100 gr NAP Spitfires. Have killed dozens of deer with them. Have yet to lose one. Spitfires are great mechanical heads. I have used Thunderheads, as well. My preference for whitetail are the Spitfires.

I have had tremendous success with Grim Reapers. They crush bone and leave a nasty blood trail. Even bailed me out of a marginal shot a few years ago. Good luck in whatever your choice!

I am still shooting fixed blades and like the Magnus Stinger or Buzzcut. If your bow is tuned, you should have no problem getting them to shoot to the same impact point as field tips. I know I could do it with my compound a few years ago.

I'm going to be using 3 blade cut on contact G5 Strikers this year, but I have read alot of great revues of the reapers. I have only ever used one other broadhead so not much advice to give other then ... Pick a spot!!! Lol.

I have used the spitfires for years, 3 yote, 2 dear, 1 moose, 2 black bear with them, on the moose I pulled it out of the quiver by accident, but did the job very well. I prefer a two blade mechanical over the three blades as long as I can keep finding them.

Back