30 Days Hath September

super-7

Handloader
Jun 27, 2009
Yep and it's a good thing too. For my line of work I bill out more hours in August and September then anytime the rest of the year, and as the saying goes about making hay while the sunshines , I grin and bear it. Well it sure does cut into hunting time , with the weather taking a turn from perfect harvesting weather to cool drizzly fall weather the phone calls tapered off.
So on day 30 I got out for my second afternoon of bow season and had been doing some significant scouting on a chunk of crownland/ grazing lease that is surrounded by private land. This was too try and track down and pattern the small band of elk raiding the neighbouring farms crops and hay lot. This is the area where my Dad drew a cow elk tag, so I figured it doesn't hurt to learn it some what.
I took my time wandering thru the lease going slow and working the wind, I had 3 tags in my pack so I was up for Anything, a wt, Md, or an elk. But being my first year in 20 back with a bow my expectations were real , odds are stacked against me. Some where maybe an hour or so before sunset I thought I heard a cow elk mew, I answered with a open reed call and waited, nothing. Maybe it was the wind or something else but I couldn't be sure . I gained some altitude up to the top of the ridge as I scanned the valley to south I took in the beautiful fall colors a mix aspen, poplar and birch. With the bottom all willow. Breathtaking .
With 45 minutes now before sunset I figured I had better start working my way back to my work truck. I hadn't gotten very far down an old cattle trail leading off the other side of the ridge when I heard a cow elk mew, this time it was un mistakable and close. Sounded like 50 yrds or so down the trail and to the right. I proceeded slowly knocking an arrow and getting my open reed call ready. I made it 4-5 strides when then bush on my left exploded, I dropped down made my self small all the while scanning the woods, I made I light mew. I could see an animal between 25-30 yrds looking my way, as it turned I identified it in seconds as a bull elk. I had no shooting lane so a I back pedalled about 3 steps the lane opened up I could see shoulder and vitals and that's it. I think the rest is muscle memory from practice , but I was at full draw felt the kisser on my mouth , settled my 30 yrd pin tight behind the shoulder and tripped the release. Wow what happend, I never heard a thing no thwack no thud , nothing I can see him moving away from me going north and east but he isn't in a hurry, then I hear a Big Crunch like a rotten log being broke.
By this time light seems to be fading fast I search for my arrow and blood but nothing, I follow the freshly turned up leaves for 10 yrds I find blood alot of it on a blow down. I follow the trail and find my first animal in 20 years with a bow, and my first bull elk ever.
I am shaking I'm ecstatic I'm pumped , I'm running out of light....if I don't find and mark a trail out to my truck before dark ill never be able to locate where he is in the dark. I turn to almost panic mode following the cow trail snapping off willows at 6' to leave a trail. I use two big evergreens at the bottom of the ridge as land marks and find the path heading east. I get back to my truck as the sun sets. Whew. Now the work begins... To be continued

super-7, congratulations Bud!! I can not wait for the rest of the story & photos. That is why I love hunting in a matter of seconds everything can turn around.
Sure hope that everything goes well on the recovery!!
Again Congrats :)!!

Blessings,
Dan

Wow, what a great hunt. He'll be a great trophy, as any elk taken with stick and string qualifies as a trophy. Congratulations.

I should have had a pre amble into my first post but the only reason I was hunting in this area was of a job I had on the go.. And a parts mix up gave me the afternoon to myself. So like the wise man I am I decide to go hunting...
So I return to my truck and light is fading double time, a small storm rolled in its clouded up and dark dark , can't see a hand in your front of your face dark. I get there grab my phone first call to my loving wife , next 2 to some buddies . I then make the 45 min drive home to get my other truck , trailer , quad , sawzall , chainsaw, rope, chain , come- along, extra knives, lantern , flashlights .. You know all the stuff that should be organized before the hunt... I stop in town fuel up, grab my reinforcements and 1 more quad, and away we go back 45 min. To the trail head, now of course everything looks different a slight drizzle helps alot, but I forge my way thru with the boys in tow shaking their heads. Ahha! That lone big evergreen in the meadow the trail should twist back south and east looking for my snapped off willow limbs , seems like I went to far then oh there's one. Then another and another, hey here under this blanket of pitch black I walk right up to my elk. My one buddy is still shaking his head I can't believe you knew where it was.
I said I'll never forget that shot and tracking job , never mind the trail . Then the work began as we dragged it by hand back to the main trail and got it hooked to the quad . Made the mile journey back to truck and trailer. A quick gut job then loaded it and head for home. Pretty much exactly 6 hrs from when I tripped my release. Home to skin out and hang. A long day , a hard day, a memorable day ..
I regret not getting any quality field picks , but time was an issue. I also regret not be a little more prepared , flagging tape or a GPS or both would have been nice. Other then that well an elk is an elk be able to harvest on with a bow was awesome.. More and pics to follow.

super-7":748qedup said:
I should have had a pre amble into my first post but the only reason I was hunting in this area was of a job I had on the go.. And a parts mix up gave me the afternoon to myself. So like the wise man I am I decide to go hunting...

Now, that sort of humility is admirable. :grin: You've done very well, indeed. Good to have some friends to assist in bringing home the goods.

Good job Super-7 :). I am glad that everything turned out.
I guess you Buddies will be over for a BBQ in the near future :wink:!
Sure looking forward to the photos.
A great trophy with a pointy stick!

Blessings,
Dam

I wish that I had taken some proper field picks but in the rush the thought really never crossed my mind. So here he is after being skinned out .

And the preverbal carcass hanging off my JD photo: it wouldn't be hunting season without one of those. Lol

The hunt of a life time. It always seems when your least prepared is when good things happen and makes for a life time of memories. Great story and a nice Elk.

Nice bull. He will make for many fine meals.
Congratulations.

JD338

Thank you for the photos, that is a great trophy! You and your family are really going to enjoy some fine eating this fall & winter.
Now for that hunt with your Dad, I will be looking forward to another great story with photos :wink:

Blessings,
Dan

Back