Hunting Season Workout

Haven't posted in a while so I thought I'd update.
Been steadily working out on the treadmill. Today I did 45 minute intervals with a 3 mph top speed and sixty pounds in the pack. My knee braces are getting well used it seems. I'm slowly increasing my strength and endurance.
Moose season is fast approaching and I need to be ready. I'll start doing some core work soon too.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1424311552163.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1424311552163.jpg
    429.8 KB · Views: 549
Way to go Vince! Keep it up! (y)

This morning I headed to the gym and lifted for a while, then hopped on the bicycle for about 15 miles of hard riding with a buddy. Dang... He's faster than me, particularly on this flats and downhill. I usually catch him going uphill. Makes for an interesting ride. Recovery time now...

Shooting this afternoon! :grin:

Guy

Guy that is a heck of a way to spend a Thursday :wink:. Life is Good :mrgreen:!!

Blessings,
Dan

Nice to see what others do for workouts. We've put together a little gym at our house (closest gym to us is 30+ miles) and have equipped it over the years to do what we need. On days we're home, I'll start with 5 minutes on the speed bag, jump onto the elliptical machine for a fast-paced 25-30 minutes, put about 5 minutes into abs and core muscles, spend another 20 minutes lifting free weights for various body parts, and then wrap up with 5 minutes on the speed bag again. Like most, I added a little extra tonnage over the holidays, so it's time to get it back off. (We're avid water skiers, and if I don't drop 20# and get down to 240# by June, my shoulders really pay the price.)

This morning, before the bicycle ride, I'm at the gym, doing pretty much a standard upper body workout and trying to pay attention to working my battered shoulders a bit.

This short Hispanic guy is there, working out near me. We nod and go on about our workouts. I notice that he's doing all "body weight" exercises, not lifting at all. He's built strong, short, but strong. Pullups, pushups, crunches, etc. Good stuff. Then he walks over to the dip bars, and I figure he's going to do some dips.

Nope... He goes up, and inverts, pointing his toes at the ceiling... And starts doing vertical pushups while supporting himself on the dip bars! Good grief! After he hopped down off the bars, I gave him a big ol' handshake and congratulated him. It was pretty awesome. Very much a gymnast-style workout, something ya don't see very often. He did another set of those vertical pushups from the dip bars, and later we had a fine conversation walking out to the cars. He's a pretty doggone tough fellow, working out for good reasons. Said he gave up lifting heavy, and mostly does the body-weight workouts now, coupled with hiking and jogging.

Haven't met anyone that nimble and tough, outside of martial arts gyms, in a long time.

Reminded me a bit of my time in The Corps, where we seldom had access to weights, or a gym, on a regular basis, but dang, we sure were fit.

Something to think about perhaps.

Guy

Use of body weight as the resistance in weight training has really exploded the last couple years, and it's cool to see. It's simple, inexpensive, effective, and with the emergence of additions like the TRX straps, extremely versatile! Besides working the targeted muscle group, a huge side benefit is that most exercises utilizing body weight as the resistance also help to build core strength (which is easy to ignore when playing with free weights). I used to be a pretty avid weightlifter, so gravitate more towards the dumbbells, barbells, and cable cross-over machine since it's what I know best. (This may not be the best approach for where I'm at in life, but I also find dumbbells and a good cable machine to be a little more user friendly on torn up shoulders, which is a challenge for me.) As we get older, I find that variety is important in my workouts, and I need to make a cognizant effort to incorporate strength training, cardio, flexibility, and balance into my regimen. (When I was younger, the latter 2 seemed to come part and parcel with the first 2 -- now I have to specifically chase those 2.) A lot of the exercises utilizing body weight naturally hit all 4.

Today was just lifting, no bicycle or other cardio.

Dealing with a separated shoulder - from crashing my mountain bike two weeks ago. Still hurts doggone it. And a pinched nerve in my neck, not from the crash. Doc said my neck is just getting old... :? Phooey.

But I still managed to get one heck of a weight workout at the gym this morning! (y)

Off to the range for more shooting now! Yee Haw! :grin:

Four day in a row at the gym :wink: today I did about 15 minutes of stretching after my cardio. I still can not lift weights but did a little bit of planking today. Doctor has told me to slow down a bit so sticking mostly with the cardio which is very boring :shock:!

Blessings,
Dan

Dan
Having a relapse will ultimately prove to be more boring than being cautious, and following the doctors instructions.

Blessings Bill

Guy Miner":a1idwj53 said:
Dealing with a separated shoulder - from crashing my mountain bike two weeks ago. Still hurts doggone it. And a pinched nerve in my neck, not from the crash. Doc said my neck is just getting old... :? Phooey.

But I still managed to get one heck of a weight workout at the gym this morning! (y)

Nice job! An injured shoulder is probably the toughest thing for me to work around in a weight room -- it's not easy taking painful shoulder movements out of upper body lifts. If you got a good workout done in spite of the separated shoulder, you're doing well... Good luck with the shoulder recovery.

53 miles on the road bike this morning with three buddies. Longest bicycle ride of 2015 so far! Early for that kind of distance. Mild winter...

My MRI on the shoulder is scheduled for tomorrow. Then I can find out when and how we can fix it. I haven't lifted since nov,and know that my upper body strength is declining.

Good luck Bill, I hope that it will be a easy & quick fix. Shoulder problems are just dirty :evil:!!

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":1b080olc said:
Good luck Bill, I hope that it will be a easy & quick fix. Shoulder problems are just dirty :evil:!!

Blessings,
Dan
I concur with shoulders being dirty.
Good luck on recuperating.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Elkman":38dliekp said:
My MRI on the shoulder is scheduled for tomorrow. Then I can find out when and how we can fix it. I haven't lifted since nov,and know that my upper body strength is declining.

Best of luck with that. Did my MRI a couple of months ago. Surgery on the horizon. Going to lose all the conditioning I'm building now, but... in the long run I hope things are better.

Guy

Guy, that is a tough one. I know how I feel after working for 2 years on conditioning and now starting all over again. I guess that is one of the things we find when we start to age abit. Well at least I do :shock:!

Blessings,
Dan

Thank you all for your kind words. Had x-Ray today. You can see bits of "stuff" floating around above the shoulder, a "spur" off of the top end of the ball, and I am missing the top 5% of the ball from the arm. I was unable to finish the MRI, because I was unable to hold my shoulder in the right position for 24 min. The pain won. The results go to my surgeon soon.

Back