Went hunting yesterday

muleman

Handloader
May 12, 2009
For Salmon.

We ate very well last night! Two big Chinooks caught by Jigging at slack tide in the Willamette River near Oregon City. Both those fish were over 20lbs. For perspective that board they're laying on is 24" wide. 8)

Scott

Very nice!
A meal for a King and Queen for sure.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Man, I miss salmon fishing at times when people are showing pictures like this. Excellent, Scott. You did well.

Very nice I can almost taste the barbequed chinook salmon from here. Can't wait till they start running here.

What is your method for jigging for them? Around here using lead head jigs with marabou (soft turkey feathers for those who don't know) is popular for all salmon species including chinook, it is a very productive way to fish for them.

We use 2-3oz lead jigs in the shape of an anchovie/baitfish. We bend them so they flutter down. Many different colors work. We use a standard jigging motion. They work best in slow water or slack tide.

Scott

That's a bit different than here where the jigs are from 1/4-3/4 of an ounce. Interesting......

Nice fish!
I love salmon fishing. They are awesome on the grill.

JD338

That is a fine catch. I think it is a cedar plank type of day (y)!!
Enjoy your meals from those two beauties!!

Blessings,
Dan

My lovely wife fixed fried Salmon cakes for dinner to night though out of a can which is the most convenient way to get salmon here.

Super jealous. The only salmon fishing I've done was on lake Michigan a couple years ago. I love salmon

Back