And So It Begins...

Take two aspirin, go to bed and... Well, you know the drill. Up very early this morning (my body is adjusting quite nicely to the self-induced pain of arising before sentient life has begun to stir. I make my way to the kitchen, groping in the darkness for my coffee cup and a k-cup. Fumbling about, I somehow manage to get the appropriate cup into the slot that holds a k-cup and sometimes even place my coffee cup beneath the spigot. After only thirty minutes, I have managed to get one eye open enough to see the monitor. It's about time to waken the sleeping beauties. I'm thinking that if it weren't so much fun to torture myself with lack of sleep I could sure sleep for a week or so. I have come to the conclusion that conducting a root canal on myself couldn't be any more painful than the joy of arising at these unearthly hours, dragging myself into mountain passes that were never meant to be explored by pickup and walking about in the dark. In any case, the prospect of killing one of the mythical beasts and increasing the torture several fold keeps me going. As one of my heroes has written, 'Tis a fine and pleasant misery.

I think you have captured the spirit of a hunter DrMike and just getting there is almost as gratifying as the chance of a possible kill and to do it with good friends is the ultimate experience.

DrMike":2koyoxdq said:
Take two aspirin, go to bed and... Well, you know the drill. Up very early this morning (my body is adjusting quite nicely to the self-induced pain of arising before sentient life has begun to stir. I make my way to the kitchen, groping in the darkness for my coffee cup and a k-cup. Fumbling about, I somehow manage to get the appropriate cup into the slot that holds a k-cup and sometimes even place my coffee cup beneath the spigot. After only thirty minutes, I have managed to get one eye open enough to see the monitor. It's about time to waken the sleeping beauties. I'm thinking that if it weren't so much fun to torture myself with lack of sleep I could sure sleep for a week or so. I have come to the conclusion that conducting a root canal on myself couldn't be any more painful than the joy of arising at these unearthly hours, dragging myself into mountain passes that were never meant to be explored by pickup and walking about in the dark. In any case, the prospect of killing one of the mythical beasts and increasing the torture several fold keeps me going. As one of my heroes has written, 'Tis a fine and pleasant misery.
Dis de spirit aye! [emoji106]

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

truck driver":eyxn7sbq said:
Well what are the Marx Brothers up to? No news so far today. Maybe they got a moose.
Maybe so maybe no but whatever the answer is we know that it will be fun. :)

No update. :(
Me thinks the denizens of the great white nort got in to something. :)

No news is generally good news... We can only hope and cheer them on... :grin: :grin:

Anticipating a continued great story....

Dr Mike definitely has a way with words, far beyond my greatest imagination. His awards far exceed Pulitzer in my book..

The Goat Man and the Saskatchewan Flash nearly killed me. I usually arise at 0300 on Sunday mornings to finalise work on the messages I am responsible to present that day. This past Sunday was no different. A ride into the bush Sunday afternoon was scheduled to familiarise the lads with the lay of the land here in the agricultural zone. Then, matters took a dramatic turn. Monday morning—up at 0300. Tuesday morning—up at 0300. Wednesday morning—up at 0300. (There is a pattern here. I’m trying to work it out in my head, which is incredibly foggy for some reason.) Thursday morning—up at 0300. Friday morning—up at 0300. Now, it wouldn’t have been so rough on an old man had we been able to go to bed at a reasonable hour (say, 1900 hours, or some such thing). But, no, the lads wanted to talk, or eat, or… Thus, for days on end I survived on four hours of sleep each night. During the days, I had numerous responsibilities for which I am responsible. Just because the lads were resting and lounging about didn’t mean that I would be permitted that particular luxury. Thus, I was sleep-walking through British Columbia. Driving this past week has certainly proved interesting.

Unfortunately, we have either seen only cows or calves, or the Saskatchewan Flash has proven to be slow on the uptake. It is the wide-open eyes and strange sounds emanating from the lad that has surprised me most. I confess that I am mystified at how his manages to make his hair stand on end when encountering one of the denizens of our local forests. I have done my utmost to date to demonstrate the finer points of moose hunting to the lads, but alas, the deal has not yet been consummated. Perhaps this evening.

You see, I am still responsible to pastor a congregation; and that involves delivering messages (usually on a Sunday morning) to all the expectant people and ensuring that television and radio production continues uninterrupted. I informed the lads that I had to have time to prepare for these duties, which precluded venturing into the wilds with them on Saturday.

Springing to the rescue was Blkram (aka as Gil). “I’ll come over if you feed me,” he volunteered. Desperation set in as I am, if nothing else, conscientious about being a good host. “Done,” I exclaimed. “Oh, would you mind stopping by Mickey D’s to pick up a Big Mac and a Coke for yourself?” Without thinking (a somewhat common occurrence for my trusty native guide), Blkram said, “Sure. No problem.” Rubbing my hands with unrestrained glee, I chortled, “Heh, heh, heh!” Ah, yes, my plan was working perfectly.

My major concern in allowing Gil to meet the lads is that he is known to exaggerate some things, creating problems for me when I am compelled to correct his distorted view of life. I mean, there was the time that he knocked me face down and sat on my back to keep me from shooting a beautiful six-point elk that was coming in. Fortunately, I was able to throw off the weight, arise from the ground and drop the elk at the last minute, saving the day. However, that is another story that will have to await an appropriate time to tell. Oh, yes, there is also the time that Gil required my expertise to finish off a wee bear that he had wounded with his 338-06. He had the audacity to accuse me of shooting a grain silo instead of the bear. Imagine! Yes, I’ve saved his bacon on multiple occasions, but that is not what this thread is about. I’m praising Gil, more-or-less, at the moment for taking the lads down into the mountains for a hunt despite the potential for difficulties that may arise from them meeting him.

Fortunately, without the distraction of being required to guide these two lads in this beautiful area, I have had the day to work unhindered. Unfortunately, I have not been hunting today; and now I’m experiencing a stomach twisted into knots imagining that Gil has shot something which would allow him to boast (inappropriately, I might add) of his hunting prowess.

Friday was a difficult day for me. We arose at 0300 (have I already mentioned that?), groped our way through the house as we engaged in a semblance of organising ourselves, stumbled to the truck and drove by Braille to a new hunting area. We didn’t actually go into the mountains, but we did go into the foothills. These hills are more thickly forested than the areas we had been hunting heretofore. I mentioned to Dan that he should keep his eyes open for moose. I said this when I noticed that he was engaged in some deep contemplation requiring him to close his eyes and make weird noises that would disturb even the dead. We drove into some clear cuts and along gas lines designed to destroy the unwary soul that dared venture there. I did this at the insistence of the lads. Actually, I’m quite a fine driver. We only high centred on a large rock once and tore off only a single nerf bar. I cautioned the Saskatchewan Flash that his screaming would only drive game farther away, compelling me to drive farther down the gas lines and descending rapidly into the valley floors.

It is my intention to arise at 0300 tomorrow, awakening the lads just so they can keep up the pattern. We will likely go out tomorrow evening, depending on how successful they were today. (However, I know that Gil won’t let either of them shoot if he sees game. He will shoot the beast himself, telling them that as a conservationist he can’t permit them to run the risk of merely wounding the poor creature. However, they will be welcome to field dress the animal (finally shot with the third cartridge expended) so that Gil can point out the finer points of that particular activity).

We have surveyed several great areas for ambushing elk. The season opens on Tuesday. Gerry and I hope to tag out on one or two of these majestic beasts early in the week. We plan to take SaskBoy along to show him some of the finer points of field dressing elk.

(Truthfully (attempting to be somewhat serious for a brief moment), I have enjoyed having the lads here. We’ve laughed a lot and we’ve seen some pretty rugged country. Gil is a great guy, and I’ve loved him like a son. He and I have enjoyed a friendship that goes back quite a ways. I do hope that we report that both Gerry and SaskBoy have moose meat to take home shortly. The weather has been so-so. It is warmer than we could wish, though we’ve had some great mornings. As is the case for those who follow the Kansas City Chiefs, “Next time!”)

Great story Mike. I'm hoping you all connect with a beast.... Hopefully you don't wear Gerry out packing it out!

SJB358":14zpnut5 said:
Great story Mike. I'm hoping you all connect with a beast.... Hopefully you don't wear Gerry out packing it out!

All part of the plan, Scotty; all part of the plan. :mrgreen:

Finally getting around to adding a few pictures. On Thursday of this week past, Noah joined us. Of course, we couldn't have a hunt without breakfast. It was a delectable repast of roast chicken, crackers, smoked chum salmon and other assorted delicacies. Of course we would expect Noah to be in the picture.

The lads look rather grim. I can assure you that they had no reason for such glum looks. I'm the one who was surrounded by lefties. Their sinister machinations kept me on my toes the entire time. Consequently, here are a few shots of the massive clear cut we hunted that particular morning.

In this final picture, you can see the top of the large island into which Gerry descended in a vain attempt to cause moose to flee in alarm toward Noah and me.

Just got back to DrMike's a short time ago :). We spent the day with Gil, he is a fine Lad! We saw 26 Mountain Goats, 2 mulies, 1 whitetail, 2 cow Moose, 1 calf Moose, 2 black bears & a marmot (Rock Chuck)!
Gil mentioned on numerous occasions he finds all the game, but he does try to help DrMike as much as he can but look what he has to work with :mrgreen:. Gil did mentioned that he Loves DrMike like a father & for the last 20 or so years he has always gives DrMike the first opportunity to shoot but a lot of the time he has trouble picking up the animals in the trees & therefore needs numerous opportunities in order to fill his tag (y).
Aa far as our hunt is going it is top shelf just need a little help if anyone knows how to keep a Doctor from falling asleep???

Blessings,
Dan

Just got back to DrMike's a short time ago :). We spent the day with Gil, he is a fine Lad! We saw 26 Mountain Goats, 2 mulies, 1 whitetail, 2 cow Moose, 1 calf Moose, 2 black bears & a marmot (Rock Chuck)!
Gil mentioned on numerous occasions he finds all the game, but he does try to help DrMike as much as he can but look what he has to work with :mrgreen:. Gil did mentioned that he Loves DrMike like a father & for the last 20 or so years he has always gives DrMike the first opportunity to shoot but a lot of the time he has trouble picking up the animals in the trees & therefore needs numerous opportunities in order to fill his tag (y).
Aa far as our hunt is going it is top shelf just need a little help if anyone knows how to keep a Doctor from falling asleep???

Blessings,
Dan

And I never double post, like some individuals who shall remain unnamed, Dan. I warned you about listening to that lad.

Oh man! What a great bunch of pictures!

I'm glad to see you all keeping humor alive and well in the North.

Don't worry Mike, I don't believe a thing Dan is PM'ing me about your driving! :lol:

Dan and Gerry have taken quite a few pictures in an attempt to convey the country in which we have been hunting. It is well nigh impossible to capture the beauty--the steepness, the rugged nature, the breath-taking colours; nevertheless, we try. As for Dan's PMs, just keep on ignoring them, Scotty. The lad doesn't realise how challenging it can be to talk and drive at the same time. :grin:

Back