Grizzly. Alaska. Sept 2017.

Great stuff! You'll be in great hands with Jake and there is some big bears to be found in that area. Big moose as well. Hope you knock down a big one.

Your in excellent hands guy. Jake is a class act. I've met him a few times and bought a blackmail cape from him once. You'll be safe under his watchful eye and 416!!! That boy is 416 crazy, likes his guns on the skinny side too! I guess when your carting a 200+ pound bear hide having a 5 pound rifle is s bonus!

Don't be afraid to bring your frozen hide home if you have a good smith. Even some of us Alaskan ship our hides down south, get a nice rug cheaper than local taxidermists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations, I'm sure its going to be all you want and them some. Looking forward to the stories you will share upon returning!

Well there you went and done it, congrats!
There are lots of nice bears atound there, should be great trip.
When I was there last 2013 while Moose Hunting, we saw Grizzlys everyday! 7.5/8.5 fters most with great fur. Absolutely loaded with Black Bear up the Talkettna River........ have fun and you have plenty of gun for those bears, been hundreds shot around there with an 06 with 220gr! And I am with Jerry on bullet weight, we had a kid in camp with bear tag and he shot a smallish 7fter from 150yds with a .338WM, and 250gr corelokts and exit holes all looked almost like the entrance holes, it isnt that hard to shoot right thru a 5/600 lb bear, an 06 with 180gr bullets will go right thru if lung shooting them (bad idea).
Hope you get good weather as that can hinder any hunt. Lots of interesting history around Talkeetna, and of course when the hunt is over, the latitude 62! For traditional celebration!
2016-02-09_08.50.00.jpg

Guy if you have the opportunity for getting a moose I hope you jump on it that would be a great experience for you.

I saw that 5 lb 416 Ruger of your outfitter don't see too many of those around. I would imagine that gun would carry nicely but would be a little "lively" off the bench :)

Sounds about like the mountain grizzlies around here, Earle. They aren't massive, but they do have attitude. Lovely animals that are definitely worthy quarry. Guy, you're going to love the hunt, I have no doubt. By all means, if you can swing a moose, do it. You should be able to get the meat home at a reasonable price.

Get the moose tag, if you don't you'll have a 72 inch bull walk right up to you. Shoot, it's only money.

salmonchaser":8c88wfm9 said:
Get the moose tag, if you don't you'll have a 72 inch bull walk right up to you. Shoot, it's only money.

Yeah, and they print more of the stuff every day. :lol:

You guys are great. I'm starting a file for all the great tips and info I'm picking up from you more experienced northland & grizzly hunters!

Guy

Guy you know the people on this forum they are going to tell all that they know and maybe even some stuff they don't know :mrgreen:. You people know that I am kidding :lol:.
I know that when I was Moose hunting with DrMike this past fall it was a different feeling knowing that there were grizzlies in the area. I have hunted northern Saskatchewan for almost 50 years and there are plenty of black bears but after being shown grizzly prints it does make you think :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

Yes it does. I've actually been around grizzly and brown bears quite a few times and it adds a little spice to life!

One of the moose we shot along the Yukon River years ago died in the pond right behind camp (about 300 yards). We spent the whole day quartering it out with our waders on. The next morning as we left camp we jumped a grizzly off the carcass. That was the first live one I've seen in AK and it does make you happy to have a gun in your hand. Just seeing the presence and size of their tracks seems to heighten your senses.

I would definitely try to add moose to the menu if possible. If you can spare the time I'd consider driving up and back. It's a pretty nice drive and you could stop and say hi to the good DR. Plus you could bring all the moose meat back. We use to drive it straight through and Anchorage to Boise is about 48hrs straight. For you it would probably be 39-40 hours to Talkeetna. There are plenty of good spots to fish along the way too.
Northern BC, the Yukon, and most of AK are pretty amazing to see. A person owes it to them self to see it at least once IMO. I've done it 4 times and I'm sure I'll do it a couple more times before I'm food for the plants.

The first grizzly track I encountered was next to a pile of steaming scat on the upper Adams River. I was armed with a five foot spinning rod and four pound test line. The tracks led into bush less than six feet behind me. Oh, yeah, heightened senses is a dramatic understatement. I now know that I've passed by many more than I've ever seen, and it is a somewhat common sight to see them from early spring to early winter. Marvellous animals. Awe-inspiring, in fact.

Hey GUY you need to get a WOLF tag also! My gosh that would be an awesome addition if you could tag out on a grizzly and a wolf on the same trip! For the minimal cost and everything I certainly think you should get the wolf tag as well.

David :grin:

I'll also second CTD's suggestion of making the drive... a small chest freezer and generator would make transporting meat south a LOT simpler.

Besides...you know a guy at the end of the ALCAN who can put you on some mad grayling!

I honestly hadn't considered driving... I will give it some serious thought.

Thanks!

Guy

i was going to suggest the ferry between washington & alaska, but that is a bit expensive.

I liked the drive from Alaska south, so if you have the time I would say well worth it

you booking so far in advance also gives us quite a bit of time to see how many pages we can get this thread to go :-D i'm excited for the story & pictures leading up to, during, and after the hunt.

good luck

If you choose to drive, you can crash here with my wife and I. We are about one-half the way. It will save a dollar or two. Also, remember that now (and perhaps even in a year and a half) the US dollar is about 1.42 against the Canadian dollar. It is assuredly in your favour at the present.

Thank you Mike, for your most gracious offer. If I drive, I'll take you up on that!

Guy

Guy if you have access to a small enclosed trailer, you could put the chest freezer in it as suggested with a small generator. You would also have a place to sleep on your journey and a place to put all of your stuff. Throw a cot in to sleep on or a really nice pad of some type. I'm not much of a cot guy. You also have enough time to plan this so I'll throw this thought out there as a thought.

If you have a really good friend that might love to tag along just for the experience and adventure, and would pay what ever it costs to include him with the outfitter as a non-hunter, that might be something to consider. You would have someone along with you to help with the cost up and back, and to help in the driving chores. I just think that would be fun and would help break the trip up if you were to decide to drive up and back. Just throwing more ideas out there for you! Glad we all can help!

David

Back