Pleased, and almost overwhelmed

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Am very pleased, and almost overwhelmed with my hunting opportunities this year. I'm accustomed to spending a week or so hunting deer here in Washington, and every other year or so a trip to Wyoming for elk, deer, and/or pronghorn. As well as my rediscovered love for upland game hunting, and of course salmon & steelhead fishing... Fall is my favorite time of year.

But this year? Good grief... I have to admit that I'm a bit overwhelmed with everything coming up:

Washington bear season starts Aug 1st, that's right around the corner! I've got plans to hunt with friends and family in September, in an area that has traditionally been very good to us.

Washington deer season - for the first time in many years, I'm bowhunting! If I even manage to get within range of a mule deer, I'll consider that a pretty good success!

Washington late elk - drew a cow tag, good for our local area - in November & December. Should have a reasonable chance at filling the freezer.

Wyoming - it appears that I've drawn deer and antelope tags, good October! Always love that hunt.

And somewhere in there the dog and I are going to hit the fields for pheasant, the mountains for chukar...

And my fly rod is already itching for some time on the river for salmon & steelhead!

Yee Haw! Should be a great fall. :grin:

Guy

Congratulations Guy, nice to hear that you will be busy with activities that you enjoy.. Sounds like it is a good thing that you are retired, can hardly imagine fitting all your action into a schedule that included work.. :grin: :grin: :grin:

I am waiting on word about an antelope tag for Montana.. should be hearing shortly.

That all sounds great, Guy. I pray you have great success this fall in every hunt.

Sounds like a great fall Guy! Get it? Great fall guy?! But I digress.

I have a couple of week long activities plus local hunting too. I hope the wife is tolerant of my time away. Maybe I can take my oldest boy out with me this year locally; he will be 9.

No doubt your son would enjoy being afield with his dad, Joel. Still enjoy taking my family out with me.

joelkdouglas":2g3gzz7m said:
I have a couple of week long activities plus local hunting too. I hope the wife is tolerant of my time away. Maybe I can take my oldest boy out with me this year locally; he will be 9.

I think my son John was about 9 or 10 when he started tagging along with me on our local mule deer hunts. He got his license a couple of years later and when he was proficient with the 6mm Remington, he got his first deer, a doe mulie. I think he was 12 then. He's 25 now! Goodness the time goes by. Enjoy your time afield with your son. I had to re-arrange how I hunted a bit, toning it down a bit. Hunted a friend's wheat farm for a few years instead of hiking into the Cascades. That kind of thing.

Guy

Guy, what a great fall hunting schedule, good luck

Guy and joeelkdouglas, I think I started shooting at 8 or 9. A non first nation child has to be 12 here, but we can hunt when we are younger as long as it is on our land ( not "ours" as personal, but the area in which our first nation tribe are allowed to hunt for substance ) I remember asking so many questions when I went, they would try to sneak off and hunt without me knowing about it (-;

Dr Mike, I was a pain in the butt with all my questions and according to April nothing has changed (-;

Children only ask questions for a couple of years. Yeah, it can be a pain in the backside, until you realise that you're building a new hunter.

The truly interested and enthusiastic always ask lots of questions! It tells us that they want to be there and are willing to learn! Always fun to teach the younger and less experienced about being in the field, hunting, fishing and practicing woods craft.

We were young and/or inexperienced once too, and our mentoring parents/grandparents/friends/relatives all put up with our questions and inexperience, until we became more proficient. Some even pulled pranks on us as we learned and grew. Great times fondly remembered, by our mentors, us and those we are or will be teaching! Have fun with them!

Guy, sounds like an exciting year ahead of you, all the best!

Guy, that is some fall line up :wink:. I am sure there are going to be some great stories with spectacular photos (y).
Good luck my friend, have fun & be safe!!

Blessings,
Dan

Back