ALMOST - bear via predator call!

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Hiked in to my favorite "lucky stump" here in the Cascades this morning, within 30 miles of home. I've done real well on mule deer from that stump in the past, and decided to hike in for black bear. Here in Washington we're not allowed to bait or to use dogs. It's mostly a "spot & stalk" proposition... Or... Maybe a predator call will work???

So... doing my best to sound like a screeching, horribly wounded animal, I destroyed the calm of that particular basin. Not ten minutes later, I heard the approach of brother bear! The branches parted, and there he was, less than 20 yards away! OUTSTANDING. However, he saw me at the same time as I saw him. He whirled and ran behind some trees. I was a little behind the whole time - trying to decide if he was big enough to shoot - or if I HAD to shoot... I went after him, and he actually remained in the area for some time, convinced that there was a meal waiting for him if he could just find the source of those squeals... I was unable to get a shot at the bear. Estimate him at about 200-250 pounds, and coal black. Not a big bear, but a real thrill to have him come in that close, to my predator call!

Yup, was carrying my .30-30 Glenfield, with the 2.5x Leupold, and loaded with 170 grain Federal factory ammo. I surely did appreciate the quick handling of that little lever action rifle - and it's not the rifle's fault that I didn't send a soft point into the bruin.

What a GREAT morning!

Guy

Excellent, Guy. I've called in quite a few bears. It can be very exciting, as you now know. What I have learned is that bears can lose interest very quickly when the call stops. I normally like to call when someone is with me to watch my back. Black bears are bad enough that I don't really want to be surprised by one.

Guy, I think you had a very successful day :wink:. If you had shot that black bear it would have just been the bonus (y).
Thank you for the story & photos looks beautiful there.

Blessings,
Dan

Nicely done Guy.
A successful hunt in my book.

JD338

Outstanding!
I'd call that a great hunt.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys - yeah - I'd never called a bear in so close before. What a rush! Despite not shooting it - I put this hunt in the "win" category. A moment I'll remember happily for a long time.

Guy

sounds like you had an enjoyable morning Guy, good for you. The levers are a pleasure to use, that looks like a nice one. Do you have brown bears in the same area Guy ? I am so glad that you are enjoying your retirement

yukon huntress":3bz9gey5 said:
sounds like you had an enjoyable morning Guy, good for you. The levers are a pleasure to use, that looks like a nice one. Do you have brown bears in the same area Guy ? I am so glad that you are enjoying your retirement

Thanks all!

It is said that there are a few grizzlies in remote areas of northern Washington, but... who knows?

Our "black bears" come in a rather wide variety of colors: black, chocolate, cinnamon, and even blonde. Sometimes there will be a combination, such as a blonde body with cinnamon legs. Those can look an awful lot like a grizzly at first glance. My son and I have been fortunate enough to take several bears, and they've all been "chocolate" or dark brown in color. One of his had a reddish tinge to the fur as well. The Northwest is known for having a lot of different colored bears.

Young John's first bear, in 2010. Washington:

My 2010 bear:

John also tagged this one - and in strong sunlight, it can look rather reddish.

Guy

wisconsinteacher":3eltz0v9 said:
Very cool. I have never tried calling bears. I bet that would be a rush.

Ya... I had never tried it either... it worked and YES, it was a rush! Wow - he came in hungry, directly for me, looking to kill and eat something! And I didn't see him until he was 15-20 yards away! :shock:

LOVED IT!!!

Then, even after he figured out I was there - I'm not sure he knew I was a man - just something bigger than the injured fawn/doe he was anticipating, he stuck around for quite a while, maybe 50 to 75 yards out... Moving around, looking for whatever was hurt and could be eaten.

I watched my back as I hiked out... Bear hunting is so cool, and this was even better than normal!

Guy

Back