Moose verses 30-06

bowfishn

Beginner
Mar 4, 2014
Well my son drew a Moose tag here in Vermont this year, he left for the Northeast Kingdom last Saturday with his friend who was the second shooter on his tag. The WMA he got was for either sex so the odds were in their favor. Saturday and Sunday were uneventful but on Monday thing changed, they went early in the morning to a clear cut they had checked out on Saturday and as the fog was breaking they spotted a Moose at 125 yards. It was difficult to see at first because of the fog but they recognized the large dark shape and began looking it over. It lifted its head and it was a bull, his friend the second shooter who was spotting the moose through his scope fired taking him in the back of the rib cage high and angling toward the front shoulder. The bull lunged over the first rise and disappeared, there were 2 cows they did not see that came up out of the dip and headed over the ridge. After waiting only a few minutes they headed up the hill to were the bull was standing, not much blood and no blood trail to follow. They began heading in the direction the bull bolted and it was piled up 40 yards from were it was hit.
IMG_3364.jpg
It dressed out 677 lbs 40 inch antlers, and had a broken paddle and hole in hind leg from combat with another Bull.

The Rifle used was a Ruger American 30-06 he was using Hornady Brass 58 grains of IMR4350 behind a 165 grain InterLock® BTSP bullet MV of 2800 fps at 125 yards would have impacted the Bull @ 2540 fps. The bullet angled forward toward the front shoulder on the opposite side and stopped just under the skin, but did not hit the shoulder. I would estimate it traveled about 36" in the bull. the bullet recovered had a flat spot on one side from smashing a rib on the off side by the shoulder, it weighed 135.1 grains retaining 81.8 percent of its weight. I was quite impressed with the performance of his cartridge. Of coarse the load I had for my son did not get used, so we have no Idea how the 165 grain AccuBond would have performed at almost 300 fps more MV. I would assume if placed right it would have been dead Moose as well.
20161020_182707.jpg20161020_182809.jpg20161020_182822.jpg20161020_182903.jpg

Excellent! The '06 still works very well for these forest giants. Good looking animal! That'll provide great table fare throughout the coming year. Congratulations.

While big they are definitely not bullet proof. Should be plenty of good meat for the freezer.

I think I would have a talk with his buddy about waiting his turn! In my circles that is the quickest way to get uninvited on another hunt. In Alaska we don't have a second shooter type system for game tags. Only you or a child may fill your tag, and only then when with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations on a dandy bull.
Nicely done with the classic 30-06.

JD338

That looked like a great hunt. I hear that moose meat can't be beat. That did not sound right. :>)

That's a great moose. The 30-06 does it again just as it's been doing it for centuries! Man that sounds like along time when you say it like that. Almost as long as Dr. Mike's been around!

Second Shooter is a Subpermittee This person may aid in the hunt and even shoot the moose.
3.16 “Subpermittee” means an individual designated by a Permittee, whose name has been provided to the Department in conformance with this rule, who may be permitted to take a moose.
11.0 Subpermittees
11.1 A person holding a valid moose hunting permit may designate one (1) Subpermittee who shall be permitted to hunt moose pursuant to the permit.
11.2 The Subpermittee must always be accompanied by the permit holder. For these purposes, "accompanied,” means being able to communicate without the aid of artificial devices except medically-prescribed eyeglasses or hearing aids.
11.3 Once the applicant has provided the name of their selected Subpermittee to the Department, no change to this selection will be allowed except for personal or family illness, temporary physical disability, or military deployment.
11.4 Any request for a change of Subpermittee must be made in writing to the Commissioner and received no later than three (3) days prior to the start of the moose season for which a permit has been issued.

You can also have a Guide so a total of three people may pursue the Moose and help in the hunt but "A Guide may carry a handgun for use consistent with 10 V.S.A. §4252 (b) but shall not carry any other firearm, muzzleloader, or archery equipment."

We have been trying for almost 10 years to get a Moose permit, you get a point or extra application for each year you apply and don't get drawn. So I should have 10 applications in the drawing next year, but for some reason the VT Fish and Game only has me in for 5 right now and 6 if I( apply next year. My son will not be able to enter the Lottery again for 5 years or be a Subpermittee for anyone else, but the Subpermittee can still apply and be asked to be a Subpermittee for someone else. In theory you could be used every year as a subpermittee by someone else and as long as you never get a permit yourself. Kinda stupid if you ask me, I will use one of my Children or Grandchildren as a subpermittee if I ever get a permit in the next few years, I would let them shoot because I could careless if I was the one to shoot, that is the easy part. It would bring me more joy to me watching them get the Moose.

6mm Remington":2ozq6dag said:
That's a great moose. The 30-06 does it again just as it's been doing it for centuries! Man that sounds like along time when you say it like that. Almost as long as Dr. Mike's been around!

Almost? :shock:

Thanks for sharing!!! That is ideal bullet performance from an ideal cartridge!!!

Enjoy your moose steak!

Dale

Very nice. Congrats to your boy on the bull.

Excellent bullet performance as well. Great pictures.

Back