225 Partition - 35 Whelen est 2700fps

lanman

Beginner
Dec 3, 2011
This 225 grain Partition was found in the bottom of the 6th jug. It was pushed by 67 grains of RL-17 in a 35 Whelen.
Recovered weight is 149.1g 66.3%. Expanded to .654

DSC_0662.JPG

NNj5dRKUYe06IZy4FJgiLnONkT__b620aYVPWzKPygdm=w696-h928-no

DSC_0656.JPG

DSC_0658.JPG

Dan,

How did you manage to stuff 67 gr into that? I can get 67 into my 9.3 but seating bullets have been very difficult.

By the way nice recovery that's another boringly perfect Partition.

Jake

For sure, stuffed with that charge, the Partition would be stepping right along. Great recovery on the bullet, which, incidentally, performed just as it should.

nvbroncrider":22h2c839 said:
Dan,

How did you manage to stuff 67 gr into that? I can get 67 into my 9.3 but seating bullets have been very difficult.

Jake

LOL...Jake, It isn't easy... a drop tube and a lot of compression.

Nice work!
I have had great success with this bullet in the 35 Whelen, having taken quite a few WT deer and a 250 gr Black Bear. This is a great bullet.

JD338

Wow, didn't think it was possible to get 67 gr of powder in, cool. Sounds like from one of you other posts you are getting good accuracy with this load. The 225 gr PT is still one of the very best 35 cal bullets out there, deer all the way to grizzly and moose with that bullet.

lanman":298h08pf said:
nvbroncrider":298h08pf said:
Dan,

Jake

LOL...Jake, It isn't easy... a drop tube and a lot of compression.

Yeah on QL max for the 9.3 is 68gr and at 67 the die pulls the bullet back out. So I didn't even bother with 68. I managed to get one loaded but I think it's an effort wasted in futility. That's at about 105-108% if my memory serves me right. I use a 4" drop tube with H414.

gerry":be6jct1f said:
Sounds like from one of you other posts you are getting good accuracy with this load.

Yes Gerry,
The Partitions shoots a lot better in my gun than accubonds (200 or 225's). The Pressure point I put in the barrel channel made them both shoot a lot better. I hope to run through a load workup with the 200AB and find something that works now.

When I load buffered shot loads in my 12ga I use a old Rem electric shaver to vibrate the shell case to fill the load with plastic buffering material and it works great. Might work for stacking powder in a rifle case also though I have never tried it because I don't load to max if I can help it. :mrgreen:

That 225 PT looks great... I love that bullet in my little 358 Winchester, it can only be better in the Whelen or even the larger .358's.

Ran this test again.. Same Results.. 6 jugs, 148.7 grains, 66% retained weight and .647 across the nose.

DSC_0862.JPG

It is still my GO TO Bullet.

Again, more than adequate for almost any game in NA. This should give Whelen shooters a greater measure of confidence.

The 225 gr PT is an awesome bullet in the 35 Whelen.

JD338

Look at the base of that recovered bullet, dimpled heavily from the compressed powder under it, IMO.

I was wondering how Re17 might work in the Whelen. I've been using Re15 at 60.4 gr. but according to Quickload, thats in the beginning dangerous load area. Bullet has been the 225 gr. Barnes TSX and at 2710 FPS, it sure does slap elk down hard.
I do have some 225 gr. PT, AB and a very few of the long gone Ballistic tips. I'll have to do some work with those bullets in the near future. I have literally a lifetime supply of those TSX bullets loaded and ready to go.
Paul B.

I'd like to give it a shot. With my long throated 700, I'd bet I've got as much useable case space than a shorter throated Ackley. I seat them out far

Scotty I can load 67grs of RL17 in my 35 AI and have .20" of space left in the case to seat a bullet and could probably go to 68grs if I really wanted to squeezes the powder more. But I'm already getting over 2800fps with it at 67grs of RL17.

Back