375 Ruger 260 AB and 270 TSX vs firewood

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
Had to go out and do some shooting this evening my wife and I went to a lake she had never been to and then we went up a logging road to some newer slashes and I experimented with how big a log I could shoot through with the 375 Ruger. At the end we set up a chunk of firewood and shot a 260 gr AccuBond and a 270 gr TSX to see if we could capture them. Both ended up going about 11.5" into a piece of balsam fir.
001-1.jpg

270 gr TSX 269.9 gr (100%) .744" diameter
260 gr AccuBond 186.2 gr (71.6%) .730 diameter

002.jpg

Cool.

Now we're being attacked by chunks of wood as well as water jugs! Good thing we've got plenty of Nosler bullets on hand with which to defend ourselves!

Heck of a way to split firewood... :grin:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Very nice pictures and performance! I had to go shoot some stuff this morning; paper , plywood, and a few water bottles for fun.

Gerry, that 260gr AB looks AWESOME! Man, what a bullet that is! Holy smokes, I can't think of a better picture I have seen of a recovered AB! Seems like that 260gr AB is really making some serious inroads into the 375 community. Scotty

Now we're being attacked by chunks of wood as well as water jugs!

Guy,

The fellows on this forum will manage to keep all errant chunks of wood and jugs of water at bay.

Gerry,

That is excellent performance from either bullet. I'm especially pleased to see the penetration from the 260 grain AB.

My guess would have been that the TSX would have gone much deeper but in this case there wasn't much difference, both performed differently but very well. I was pleased to see the AccuBond hold up so well at close range I know it will expand well at ranges farther than I want to shoot I believe they say it will expand well down to 1800 fps which in my load would be on the far side of 500 yards :) Will save the TSX for a close range bear stopper looking forward to an E Tip in 375 coming out soon :lol:

I hadn't shot any of my guns for about 2 months so needed to bust a few caps so I wouldn't go loopy :p The place we went looks to be an excellent spot for spring black bear hadn't been there in years, will go back next May.

Man, I just love to get out an shoot. I could spend from sun up to sun down out on the range with some good rifles. Just about the best therapy there is, minus actually hunting with the rifles. Scotty

That AB is all you would ever need not taking anything away from Barnes but I think Nosler was first and is still first in my books :)

Blessings,
Dan

Them 260's are tough. They hold up pretty well from my 378 bee also.

FOTIS":3ir1hy8l said:

Maybe I won't end up trying the 300 gr bullets after all will wait patiently (ok not so patiently) for the long awaited 375 E Tip :lol: those 260's shoot so accurately from my gun with Big Game powder they probably will always be my main load.

Was wondering how they would hold up to the much faster Bee, good to hear they do well :)

gerry":1q3zry34 said:
FOTIS":1q3zry34 said:

Maybe I won't end up trying the 300 gr bullets after all will wait patiently (ok not so patiently) for the long awaited 375 E Tip :lol: those 260's shoot so accurately from my gun with Big Game powder they probably will always be my main load.

Was wondering how they would hold up to the much faster Bee, good to hear they do well :)

Been waiting for I do not know how long for that one, and in 416 ! :evil:

DrMike":x2nm11t7 said:
Now we're being attacked by chunks of wood as well as water jugs!

Guy,

The fellows on this forum will manage to keep all errant chunks of wood and jugs of water at bay.

Gerry,

That is excellent performance from either bullet. I'm especially pleased to see the penetration from the 260 grain AB.

And Zucinni and phone books and...... Ooooh I just thought of somthing SERIOUS....Phone books and newspaper are getting scarce.....next thing we know they will be on the endangered specieces list. Somehow I doont think a kindle will be great test medium.... :lol: CL

Somehow I doont think a kindle will be great test medium....

It isn't that they aren't a good test medium, it is that they will be so darned expensive to shoot. Hey, that 160 grain AB penetrated 36 Kindles.

These are the two bullets that I run in my 375 RUM. Running right at 3k fps and very accurate. Hopefully I can push one thru a good sized bear this spring and have some better pictures for you!

Nosler has always been number one in kindle! Ever since the early 1970's when I bought my .375 H&H and shot 270 Partitions into fir.

Gerry very nice test. Love those Accubonds and I have to agree that Nosler is the ruler of the roost! Man can you imagine what a long skinny 260 gr. E-tip would do? WOW :grin: I just knew that Accbond was going to surprise you with its performance. They are quite a bullet.

TheBear,

Curious if you could give powder and weight of your 375 RUM loads.... I've had one for 4 years or so but not much loading data when I got mine. Currently using 102 gr of R22 with 270 Hornady and 96 gr of R22 with 300 Hor BTSP.... haven't played with it much. 300 is doing around 2600 fps and 270 is in 2750+ range.... your 3000 fps caught my eye !!

I do know I'm fairly conservative on my loads but just wanting to learn more. Thx. for anything you'd share.

When I get back home I'll look up my data and pm you but I have been using h4350 and lately h414. R22 seems way to slow for the rum. I think r17 would be much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thebear_78":2r50gsaf said:
These are the two bullets that I run in my 375 RUM. Running right at 3k fps and very accurate. Hopefully I can push one thru a good sized bear this spring and have some better pictures for you!

You will have to do it now since I don't own the 375 anymore :lol: If I still had it the 260 gr AB and 250 gr TTSX would be great all around bullets for anything in North America.

Back