375" 300 gr Hornady BTSP

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Tested at 48 degrees Fahrenheit today, from my 24" Ruger Number One "Tropical" .37 H&H magnum. Is it acceptable to shoot a "tropical" rifle on a snowy range?

The range, my secret bullet test facility here in central Washington:
IMG_5238.jpg

.375" bullet launching device - the Tropical (aka My Bear Gun):
IMG_5200.jpg

A loaded cartridge - yes, this rifle seems to have a LOT of freebore, allowing me to seat the big bullets well out. This one is loaded in a Winchester case with 75 grains of H4350 for a muzzle velocity of 2521 fps:
IMG_5198.jpg

And the bullet! Recovered from the 6th water jug, expanded to .67" dia, and now weighing 171 grains.
IMG_5214.jpg

IMG_5205.jpg

I got a mess of these bullets on a sweet deal, and found more at a local shop, marked at a great price. They shoot accurately, I have no trouble whacking the 12" gong at 300 yards with them, using my 200 yard zero. Expansion and penetration look pretty doggone good to me. 300 grains counts as a lot of bullet in my book - even though this Hornady is a typical cup & core design, it held up pretty well. I'd hunt it!

Guy

Thier price BC and performance all a plus Guy.

I took my biggest elk with this bullet and my 378 Bee at 510 yards in 1996.

I wouldn't hesitate to use that bullet on big game. My experiences with Hornady are all positive. They make a very accurate bullet.

Excellent performace. No worries with that bullet anywhere in the world!

JD338

Thanks Guy for posting that would be a great bullet for practice and a lot of big game hunting.

Wow, great performance out of that beast Guy! Awesome, just awesome.. Man, I need to start breaking out the jugs again. Been slow so far. That 375 is pretty cool!

Thanks guys. I tell ya, the only .375 bullet I've questioned at all is the 270 gr Hornady. Very accurate but seemed overly soft/fragile for a big game bullet in my testing earlier. I need to revisit that and see how it fares again. Maybe tone down the velocity a little. It didn't fare real well when I ran it into the water jugs or the stack of dry magazines - both pretty well shredded it.

Mostly though, the .375 bullets seem pretty well made - which is a good thing since guys are likely to use them on bigger, tougher game.

Once I pile up some more milk jugs I'll test some of my .375 Partitions, unless you guys beat me to it! :grin:

Regards, Guy

I will do a test on the 300 gr AccuBond when they arrive and leave the 300 gr Partition to someone else to test. The newer 270 gr Hornady Protected Point seems to be erratic from reports of game shot over on HuntingBC hopefully they toughen them up.

gerry":tffeh2ub said:
I will do a test on the 300 gr AccuBond when they arrive and leave the 300 gr Partition to someone else to test.

Gerry, If I have a chance before my hunt, I'll test the 300gr Partition into some jugs for you,Guy and myself :) ..I guess I'll be the ginny pig :roll: :wink:

Lou

Looking forward to your jug test's. Always cool to see those big bullet's mow down some unsuspecting plastic!

SJB358":3ea6cb1m said:
Looking forward to your jug test's. Always cool to see those big bullet's mow down some unsuspecting plastic!

Thanks Scotty, I kinda like it :grin: ..God willing, and me able, I'd rather test the 300gr Partition on a bull moose in just over 2 weeks time pal, I'm very happy with the way they shoot in my .375 H&H. If I have time before the hunt, I well slam 1 into the jugs for sure my friend 8)

Lou

Don't understand that, they don't have anything else in their line up that is similar :(

Your No. One Ruger looks just like my 9.3x74R, same gun same scope! What sized groups are you getting Guy?

The rifle is accurate Charlie, though I rarely shoot it from a bench. Usually I rely on a sitting position or prone. This group was fired at 100 yards, sitting, with the 260 gr AccuBond. It measured .84". I was sighting in the new 1.5-5x scope:

I love shooting this thing! And loading for it, and hunting with it...

Don't know that I ever tested the 300 gr Hornady bullets for group sizes. I just hammer the 300 yard gong with them at the range for bear practice.

Guy

f68697b8-705d-4316-8319-2fc983fa79e5_zpsd4e28013.jpg

Guy, This is a test target for load development with 4064 and 4350 and 286 gr, 9.3x74R, Nosler Partitions. Not the final load yet. The 4350 group is on the right, pull was called.

Back