.375 H&H 300gr Norma Oryx (update, 8 jugs!)

LD375

Handloader
May 18, 2009
Just gathering the last of the jugs for the test :twisted:

I well be doing the test this weekend @25yds MV @2560 FPS, my guess would be 8-10 jugs?
Well give full report with video as well 8) ...Lou

Looking forward to your test, Lou. The Oryx is a strong bullet that performs quite well.

Lou,

Looking forward to your results and the show. :)

JD338

Oldtrader3":341f1rb8 said:
I use this style of bullet in my 9.3x76R Ruger No 1. My guess is 8-9 jugs in the .375.
:grin: ..That's what I'm expecting also, I'll be lining up 11 (1 gallon) jugs for sure, and expect to catch the Oryx in the 9th jug.With my 270WSM, I tested the 140gr AccuBond and the 150gr oryx, the AccuBond did 5 jugs, while the oryx did 7 jugs from 25 yds.

I well give a full report tomorrow :twisted: ...Lou

Hi fellas, well I did the test today @25yds, and the Oryx did 8 jugs! Man this is a super bullet that truly ranks right up there with the best of them. Retained weight was 275grs, for 92% weight retention, and .869" expansion. The Oryx holds up very well, with an awesome mushroom to boot :grin: ..Lou

om/user/norbel/media/IMG_0455_zpsa2f9b287.jpg.html]
IMG_0463_zps7b29ebb2.jpg
[/url]

FOTIS":1z3f7uwj said:
That is some serious bonding they use!

Yes it is Fotis, I would have to say that the Oryx and Partition are my two favourite hunting bullets, they both open up qwick, and drive deep.Lou
Here's todays video, not the best, but here ya go :)
Just "Click" on the pic.

Excellent performance as expected!

Thanks for sharing that. Very cool. That is one impressive bullet.

Regards, Guy

That`s a nice combination of penetration and expansion, I wish we could get them for handloading here. The 156 gr 6.5 mm, 150 gr .270 and 250 gr 35 cal would be the ones I would try. Are you planning to try them on moose this year Lou?

gerry":2clts8kc said:
That`s a nice combination of penetration and expansion, I wish we could get them for handloading here. The 156 gr 6.5 mm, 150 gr .270 and 250 gr 35 cal would be the ones I would try. Are you planning to try them on moose this year Lou?
Hi Gerry, yes I'll be using this bullet for moose this year in my .375 H&H and .270WSM as well (I also use the 150gr Partition, same POI). As for the Norma components, they can be found very easy here in Canada. Wolverine sporting supplys is in western Canada, they are one of the dealers out west that can get whatever you need from Norma. In the states, there's Norma USA for those south of the border as well.
Thanks for your comments fellas :) , I was expecting weight retention to be in the high 70+%, but never 92% and come out looking like that :shock:
Regards, Lou

This is the rifle used, Sako 85 Kodiak .375 H&H (bottom rifle) top 1 is .270WSM.

Although it's a new rifle, it shoots great right out of the box, here's some groups I got @100yds.

I made some adjustments, and left it here for now, I well bring it up 1" when I do my final sight in with this rifle, and then fine tune @200yds, thanks for looking, Lou.

Thanks for the info Lou, I'll check them out. Love seeing those Sako's of yours, very nice rifles that cover a lot of different hunting.

Back