300gr Partition and 260gr Accubond

LD375

Handloader
May 18, 2009
These 2 bullets were shot into water jugs from 10yds from my .375 H&H 24.3" barrel.
Muzzle velocity 2530 fps

300gr Nosler Partition 7 jugs (punched a hole in jug #8 but was caught in #7)
Front core (57grs) held on to jug #5
Retained weight is 264grs (88%)
Expanded diameter is .683"
Of note, the impact of this Partition was very violent!

Muzzle velocity 2700 fps
260gr Nosler AccuBond 7 jugs
Retained weight is 190grs (73%)
Expanded diameter is .719"

These are 2 great Nosler bullets that both shoot well for me :grin: ...I well have my clip loaded with the 300gr Partitions for Black Bear come September. This bullet well do it all, from expansion,penetration, and weight retention :)

Lou

Lou,

Those are both proven winners! The 300 gr PT is a classic stopper.

JD338

JD338":296v9gu1 said:
Lou,

Those are both proven winners! The 300 gr PT is a classic stopper.

JD338

Oh yah Jim :) ..The .375 H&H really shines with the 300gr bullets at moderate velocitys pal, I like both the 300gr A-frame and Partition bullets in my .375, I forsee the 300gr PT getting the bulk of the work load though :twisted: :wink:

Lou

Lou, thanks for running the test and posting the results!

The AccuBond looks exactly like I would think it should at that close-range/high velocity impact. Lots of expansion!

The Partition... Wow! Obviously Nosler has the "Partition" well forward in that bullet. Lots of shank left, nice and straight. I understand it's well regarded as a good bullet for Cape Buff, and the Great Bears.

Am thinking your bear is already in deep, deep trouble, and doesn't know it!

I'm still a big fan of the .375 as one heck of a medium bore hunting cartridge.

Guy

Classic performance from two superb bullets. Thanks for taking time to conduct these tests, Lou.

Wow, excellent performance Lou. Both of those bullets look fantastic!

That 300 PT is a monster. What a performer!

Lou,

the 300 gr PT vs the 300 gr A Frame is very similar with the Swift penetrating 1 more jug than the Nosler.
I bet the PT would produce more soft tissue trauma though with the softer front core, which it is designed to do.

Great comparison Lou!

JD338

JD338":2j9put56 said:
Lou,

the 300 gr PT vs the 300 gr A Frame is very similar with the Swift penetrating 1 more jug than the Nosler.
I bet the PT would produce more soft tissue trauma though with the softer front core, which it is designed to do.

Great comparison Lou!

JD338

That's how I see it too pal, that big 300gr PT came within a fraction of being caught in jug #8, and also hung on to it's front core through the first 5 jugs. The bullet came out looking just like I thought it would,Perfect!

Lou :wink:

Those are a couple of great bullets. The 260 gr AB comes pretty close to equaling the heavier bullets, the 300 gr PT is a classic for BIG animals for good reason :)

JD338":1rtbe78l said:
Lou,

Great comparison Lou!

JD338
Thanks Jim, this is what I have tested so far :grin: ..3 more to go!..I wanna run the 300gr Barnes X bullet, 300gr Nosler AccuBond, and the 350gr Woodleigh SN.
From left to right are 300gr Swift A-frame, Nosler Partition, Norma Oryx, and 260gr Nosler AccuBond.

They are each distinctive, that's for certain. It is helpful to see them together.

Yeah, that is a very good looking picture Lou. Really tells me a bunch about each bullet. They all look pretty danged nasty for thin skinned animals.

Has anybody tested the 300 AB from the 375's?

DrMike":3izvunhw said:
They are each distinctive, that's for certain. It is helpful to see them together.
I agree Mike, that's why I took a photo with them all together, they all look real good, with each one serving a different purpose on certain types of large heavy game.

For black bear I need a bullet that opens up fast, and drives deep with good expansion, it's a tose up between the Partition and the Oryx on this hunt :)

Lou :wink:

SJB358":2vhxs686 said:
Yeah, that is a very good looking picture Lou. Really tells me a bunch about each bullet. They all look pretty danged nasty for thin skinned animals.

Thanks pal :)

As Guy said, yup Gerry did with good results 8)

I'm gonna run 1 into the jugs anyways, just for comparison :twisted:

Lou

Yeah, I would think that Oryx would be something fearsome on black bears Gerry. That bullet has some excellent looking frontal diameter.

Does anybody load any of the Woodleighs in factory ammo?

Guy Miner":10ylt3zq said:
SJB358":10ylt3zq said:

Gerry did: viewtopic.php?f=57&t=18922

Forgot about that one. That 300 AB really seems like another great one. I guess, in the end, it is hard to find a horrible 375 bullet..

Fotis even seems to have had great luck with the 300 grain Sierra GK. That surprised me quite a bit.

Back