Looking for a new scattergun

ScreaminEagle

Handloader
Jan 20, 2011
Thatnks Nosler for the shotgun forum! Looking for a new duck gun guys. My benelli super black eagle is just too long to get a good swing on fast moving woodies. Anyone own a benelli vinci or franchi affinity? Looking for 24-26" barrel, 3" shells. Ill save the sbe for geese and turkey.

Eagle, I have a franchi affinity, I would highly recommend one. Mine has a 26" barrel, I find it a dream to carry and swing and shoot. From everything I have read it's poor mans Benelli M2, it's the same guts they say. I went from a SX2 to this franchi and I have enjoyed it a ton! Take a look at one.

Awesome! Ill have to check one out. Id like to look at the compact. Its real hard to shoulder the sbe while wearing heavy clothing and hip waders.

I shoot a Browning Maxus all purpose. Mossy oak, 26" barrel, 3.5" chamber, drilled and tapped reciever, comes in about 7 pounds. Works great for everything from Ducks to Turkeys. Even with the 3.5" turkey loads the recoil is very acceptable.
Only thing, I wish the LOP was about 1/4" shorter for hunting late season ducks with a heavy coat. The included shims only make the LOP longer but it doesn't help if you need it shorter.

I handled the Affinity quite a bit it and it is at the top of my list right next to the Benelli M2. The Benelli felt a tad better but the Affinity was almost there with it, and the Affinity offered everything but the comfortech stock for less money.

beretta A400 Extreme comes in a 26" barrel! :mrgreen:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =447943513

Not sure a shorter barrel is going to help that much as I would just bust them on the pass as shooting them on the pass at extended ranges would be easier than up close but I think a person can never have enough shotguns! I have 5 12 ga :lol:
I like my Browning 28" 12 ga Citori Satin Lightning as it can be swunng a tad faster but I mainly use it for skeet but this was the last year model that will shoot all 3 sizes so it could be used in thick cover ?

If All I was shooting was Small Ducks and Teal, I would just use my 20ga BPS, Screw in the factory Imp Cyl and shoot 3/4oz #3 steel or 1oz #2. Add Mallards Into the Mix at reasonable ranges, Max Of 45yrds with the #2 steel load and screw in the truelock IM. Here we get a Mix Of Geese and big ducks. Most days I'm using My Rem 870 Wingmater, With a couple Different loads, 12ga 2 3/4" 88-90 B, 114-#1 at 1470fps, 3" 130 #1 steel at 1400. Truelock IM or an out of production Briley Ext Range Ported. If you think Your SBE is long and hard to swing, You should try one of my 10ga Guns.

I mostly do pheasant, quail and dove. I now use a Beretta side-plate 20 gauge 686 EL Golden Perdiz. Gun weighs 6 lbs, 3 ounces and points extremely well for me.

I would also recommend the Franchi Affinity. I don't have the Affinity but have a 720 and it very well made, is a joy to shoot and carry, 20ga with 4 shot is more than sufficient for any duck inside 30 yds. I have dumped a large number of woody's, mallards and teal with it. If you expect longer shots 3's would work but IMHO you lose a lot of pellets of you go to a 2. For all recommending a stack barrel, duck hunters use autos or pumps because you are allowed 3 shells and you decrease your firepower by 1/3 using a double barrel.

Back