New Shotgun

Just watch yourself, young lady. I may get new knees one day. Then let's see you keep up. :lol: Slow turtle, indeed!

DrMike":vukfk06q said:
Just watch yourself, young lady. I may get new knees one day. Then let's see you keep up. :lol: Slow turtle, indeed!
New knees wouldn't do me much good since my back would hold me back also. :grin:

If ducks are on the menu...by all means get a 12ga. Autoloading is nice.

I picked up a Benelli M2 several years ago...nothing special- just black matte and plastic. It kills ducks really well and I don't cry when it bangs into the boat or gets filthy nasty and full of swamp. If you hunt ducks it'll happen. IMHO, in the modern era of steel shot there's no point hauling a 20ga to the marsh- there's not a lot of payload to work with.

A light O/U 20ga like a Citori is perfect for upland game like grouse and ptarmigan although after killing several this year with an ancient Winchester M37 single barrel I'm about ready to try a 20 ga in an O/U if I can find one. Neither bird takes much killing and 3/4oz of #7 is plenty. If the cost of ammo is a factor, the 20ga is far more cost effective than a 28 and much easier to find.

Some of the Turkish guns have come a long way in the last few years and are sold by a lot of folks like Weatherby, Mossberg and Savage under their brands. They are not a Citori and a whole world from a Connecticut... but most of them work pretty well. CZ makes a pretty decent one as well- sort of a "middle grade" working gun.

I looked at a Benelli 828U and just fell in love...it's a very light 12 O/U and just beautiful...but affordable it's not.

Read an interesting article on the new Blaser F16, and it comes in two versions in 12, 20 and 28 gauges. Might be worth a look!

Jamila, thank you so much

Hodgeman, thank you also sir. Yes, ducks as well as geese and cranes are on the menu. I have a Citori 20 gauge over and under, so will look for a semi auto 12 for waterfowl, thank you

Gil, thank you also sir. You and April do have good taste in shotguns, but the money for a Blaser or Connecticut is just not available. Would I like one of them--YES, but I am not in you and Aprils tax bracket---yet (-: Seriously I know April also likes the Blaser, but I just don't think I can afford it.

Dr Mike and Truck Driver, I am sorry about your knees and back, I know my grandmother and great uncle also have some health issues, knees, backs, shoulders--my brother will accompany me on my goat hunt, as my grandmother just can't do it anymore, but she still goes bird hunting with me Brooke

Brooke,

If only I was in the same tax bracket as April!

At $3750, it is not an inexpensive firearm, but compared to the price of a Browning 725 Sporting, it is not much more. I only mentioned it as it had not been offered as option above, and is in the same class as the upper end shotguns mentioned above (??? I'm not a shotgun expert) and I found the article interesting.

As with any quality firearm, it is an investment in a fine tool to be used for years to come and hopefully passed on down to future generations. Buy once, buy right. It all comes down to what you are looking for and what priority level or budget you set for your new acquisition, which only you can determine. At the end of the day, I hope that you find what you are looking for and enjoy years of adventures in the field with it!

Back