Picked up a new one!

.280 Remington

Handloader
Jan 17, 2012
It always seems that everyone else finds the "to good to be true" rifle/firearm acquisitions besides me. Until recently....................

Went into a shop over in Torrington, WY to look for bullets that a few guys around the US are looking for, and I do tend to find them in the little/local gun shops. As I was looking through the bullets and perused the used rack of rifles. One rifle caught my eye, I knew it was a Remmy, but in a stock I'd not seen before on a new one, so I knew it was an aftermarket. Picked it up and looked at the tag......Model 700 BDL .308, Leupold rings & bases, Montana sling, and what appears to be a B&C Medalist/Carbalite stock. With a "pre" prefix serial#!!! I ran out to the truck with the serial# and barrel markings and made a few calls/voxers to friends. I was unsure of year, and also if they made a BDL in a 22in bbl. Well, low and behold, the rifle WAS a BDL made in May of 1974, in mint condition, with a perfect trigger, with all the "extras" for ........................$475.00 out the door!

So i did find one of those "deals" in my lifetime!

7B43E0FC-624C-4176-B273-9D85B1DE432D.jpg

341ED548-5D47-49CD-8ACE-77E31CF84B0B.jpg

BF63AE66-6C74-43E1-B268-C22A6E77CEB1.jpg

9224C8A0-2316-440F-8AC4-F3EFB2A7E49C.jpg

Now for a scope and some range time. I did find 60 of my dad's hand loads to shoot up to get some brass. Looks like they are 168 Match Kings over 43gr of IMR 4320. I can't wait!

Nice! That should prove to be one heck of a good shooting rifle!

You've loaded for the .308 before?

Guy

Guy, I've not. Only rounds I have so to speak are handloads from my dad that passed almost 11 years ago

What a great find! The .308 is a delight to load. All I've shot were far more accurate than they should have been. I'm almost sorry I've never owned one, though I've certainly shot plenty of them.

It has been shot a lot less than my 700, the jeweling is hardly even worn on the bolt. A lot of my jeweling is gone.

If you're going to handload for it, or if you just want to know the cartridge better, here's what I consider a "must read" article, by our friends over at 6mmBR.com:

http://www.6mmbr.com/308Win.html

Do you see this as a hunting rifle for medium game? I'm a huge fan of the 165 - 168 gr hunting bullets, in particular the 165 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. Accurate as a match bullet, sufficient velocity for 300+ yard shots. Plenty of punch to go right on through the shoulders of a deer and into the hillside beyond, leaving a very dead buck in it's wake.

Have also worked with bullets as light as 110 grains for varmint busting, and 125 grain Noslers for hunting. Up to about 190 grains or so, the .308 does real well. After that, it can work, but it's getting pretty slow most of the time. Some exceptions exist, and I'd recommend Montana Marine's posts on 24 Hour Campfire if you want to sling heavy bullets at good velocity. He's done some impressive work with the 208 A-Max and others.

Mostly though I see it as real good with the 150 - 175 gr bullets, and any of a number of mid-rate powders like H4895, Varget, RL-15 and others in that range. Old BLC2 and H380 can also produce impressive results though they're not as popular anymore.

Let me know if you want any more specific advice on loading the .308, I've worn out a few .308 Win barrels over the past 20 years.

Regards, Guy

Guy, that's awesome information! Thank you! I will check those articles out. I do plan on using it for medium game for now. A doe or two here and there. It MAY end up at JES reboring and become a 338 Federal down the road. Or it may be the beginning of my work on a custom rifle for my son, as my father did for me with my .280 when I was 16. There are so many cool options to use on the action I don't even know where to start! But the .308 and 338 Federal will be the most prevalent options as of right now. I do not have a "big game" rifle larger than my pair of .280's. I do have a 45-70, but that's not a very useful rifle in the flatlands of Nebraska.....

So I thought a 338 fed slinging 200's or 210's would be some pretty good 300yd and under medicine

Very good Mike. Excellent snag. All you have to do is reverse the front ring.

LOL The oldies shoot very well. Stop by for coffee and a trigger job!

Mike,
Didn't realize you'd just gotten it when we spoke the other day! That is a great looking unit for sure. I believe it will shoot better in Wyoming than in Nebraska, though :grin: After all, that's it's home. I want to see it, too!

EE2

Mike it might have taken longer than most but it sure looks like you found yourself a real keeper :wink:. I am sure looking forward to your up coming range report with photos!!
Again congratulations on a very nice looking rifle.

Blessings,
Dan

Back