6mm Rem

ColColt

Handloader
Apr 27, 2014
I remember many moons ago I wanted to get a Remington 700 in 6mm but never did. What happened to that caliber, you seldom see any rifles for it anymore? Maybe I need to get out more.

I see 6mm Rems from time-to-time. I just finished work on one a few months back. It is a great cartridge. I wouldn't mind owning one. It is seen in rifles from time-to-time.

I think it's just one of more than several great cartridges that failed to live up to their potential from a marketing standpoint because of repeated boneheaded maneuvers on the part of those in charge of Remington's marketing arm. Too bad, really.

I have an old 788 in 6mm. Terrific rifle. Not much on looks but really shoots.
IMO, when Remington brought it out as the 244 the twist was too slow for the heavier bullets. Winchester, on the other hand necked down a 308, used the proper twist for heavier stuff and did a terrific campaign with the 243.
The 6 has a slight edge on the 243 if handloaded IMO.
I really like the cartridge. Every critter I've shot with mine was pretty much DRT.
Cool cartridge.

Dad gave me a 6mm Rem 700 BDL back in 1974.

I gave it to my youngest son about 10 years ago. It's accounted for an awful lot of varmints, as well as a few mule deer & whitetails too. Good cartridge. Kind of a .243+

Guy

I have a 1986 or 87 Rem M700 Classic 6mm Rem - I got it new and i have shot many Groundhogs and Yotes with it - I load 70 gr-ers with RL 22 powder to kill them . Very accurate cartridge in this rifle . (y) RJ

It could be with the twist they offered they must have figured it was a varmint cartridge and then the 243 outsold the 244 and that pretty much sounded the death knell for the 244. Even after they saw the error of their ways and renamed it and changed the twist the mould was already set by Winchester.

Still, I think it's a great cartridge, although I've never owned one, and would like to have one. I'm sure Cooper would make you one.

Likely they would, or just pick up an older Remington or Ruger in 6mm. Krieger and others have no problem building a new barrel if needed.

The 95 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip has proven exceptionally accurate and deadly from my old 6mm Rem.

Our poster David (aka 6mmRemington) has posted photos of many head of big game, including elk, killed with his 6mm Remington rifle.

I hear this and that about the "new" crop of 6mm & 6.5mm cartridges and I'm sure they're great. Tempts me though to just screw on a top quality custom 6mm barrel to one of my Remington actions, and let 'er rip... :)

Guy

My dad got me started when I was 12 with a Remington Model 600 Montana Centennial rifle in 6mm Remington he bought brand new for $99.00! I've killed many coyotes, deer, and antelope with that rifle. It now belongs to my son Jeffrey who also took his first deer and antelope with it.

My son Jeff also has a Ruger MKII in 6mm Remington and has taken elk, deer, and antelope with it. Great cartridge and I really like that Ruger.

I still have one and mines a Ruger 1B in 6mm Remington. It has a fixed 6x42 Leupold on it. I've taken elk, deer, antelope, coyotes, gophers, and assorted critters with it. It is a shame it's not more popular because it's an easy cartridge to load for, is very accurate, and doesn't knock the dust off a person when you shoot it. Just a great cartridge.

I'm a bit surprised about the Elk. I wouldn't have thought that as they're a pretty decent size animal...what, about 800+ pounds?

One of the reasons I was looking into the 6mm I saw one advertised, A 1969 Remington BDL Varmint rifle, and was giving some serious consideration to it. I don't think brass is as abundant in this caliber as it once was. what surprises me is the places I've looked have brass for the 32-20 or 32-40 and 38-55 but no 6mm Remington...very strange to me. How many manufacturers are making rifles for the 32-40 these days?

FWIW, if 6 mm brass is tough to find you can neck down a 257 Roberts and unless you have a real tight neck chamber it'll work fine.

I see a 6mm every time I walk out my backdoor! When my Dad passed away I inherited his model 600 in 6mm and it languished away in the gun cabinet until I moved to a state that allows rifle deer hunting. He bought it for antelope hunting in New Mexico after he got back from Vietnam, but never killed one. Since I have been in rifle country it has taken around 12 deer between me and the two kids I take hunting. This year I switched to Hornady GMX's for it and those things are sweet in this rifle. I know that David uses his for elk but I would never have dreamt of trying that...until now with the GMX's. It is a great caliber for kids or recoil sensitive people that can handle everything from varmints to deer sized game and with the right bullet I don't think elk is out of the question. Besides that, the model 600 is pleasant to carry and it never fails to get someones attention.....they just look cool.

chrispbrown27":2gw2xecv said:
I see a 6mm every time I walk out my backdoor! When my Dad passed away I inherited his model 600 in 6mm and it languished away in the gun cabinet until I moved to a state that allows rifle deer hunting. He bought it for antelope hunting in New Mexico after he got back from Vietnam, but never killed one. Since I have been in rifle country it has taken around 12 deer between me and the two kids I take hunting. This year I switched to Hornady GMX's for it and those things are sweet in this rifle. I know that David uses his for elk but I would never have dreamt of trying that...until now with the GMX's. It is a great caliber for kids or recoil sensitive people that can handle everything from varmints to deer sized game and with the right bullet I don't think elk is out of the question. Besides that, the model 600 is pleasant to carry and it never fails to get someones attention.....they just look cool.

Monometal bullets are a game changer. The GMX, TSX and TTSX and the E-Tip all are heavyweight hitters in a lightweight class.

Mike, it looks like my most recent .308 Win/Krieger barrel and my supply of .30 cal match bullets might just exhaust themselves about the same time.

I'm thinking seriously about re-barreling to a 6mm Rem or something similar, next time the Green Machine gets a new barrel... Maybe a 6.5, but I do really like the varmint/deer capability of the 6mm's.

I'd go with the Rem varmint contour again, a Krieger of course, and likely have it fluted to cut the weight a bit. It's going to be heavier as a 6mm than it would be as a .308 Win.

Yes, that's a mighty attractive option... Might have to get some fancy new Wilson dies for it too... :grin:

Guy

I have a 700 BDL that I bought as a teenager in 6mm Rem. It is and always has been a Great Rifle. With Sierra 85gr BTHP or Hornady's 100gr BTSP its a shooter at 300 yds 3 shot groups average under 2.25 inches & this is with a old steel tube Weaver 3x9 40mm scope. I have always felt the 6mm Rem is a great Coyote & Antelope & Deer Rifle. I also believe Remington should still have avaible in the 700.
I would buy another 700 if it was offered in a Sendero SF II. 6mm Rem in a 1-9 twist for a Long Range Varmit & Antelope & Deer Rifle, put a 20 MOA TPS base TPS rings & Leupold 4.5x14 40mm CDS scope with Windage Dial added & I would be a Happy Happy Man.

I had an early Ruger Mod 77 in 6mm Rem. It was one of the most accurate rifles that I ever owned. Don't know why I sold it?

ColColt":327badlm said:
I remember many moons ago I wanted to get a Remington 700 in 6mm but never did.

I have a good friend who owns one and that's all that he deer hunts with. He uses the 100gr Partition and has been for as long as I can remember. He travels to the state of Kentucky every year and has harvested some really nice bucks there with that combo.

I haven't tried much Hornady brass, but what I have used, worked out well.

Nice to see them making the 6mm brass.

I've asked my son what he wants to do when the original barrel on his 40 year old 6mm gives up, and he wants a new 6mm Rem barrel! :grin:

My father had a 6mm Rem in a Ruger 1B. It was a fantastic shooter.

About the time I started hunting (1987), Dad got on a kick for small, fast bullets. He was a die-hard 30-06 user, but someone convinced him that he had to go small and fast. He got the 6mm as well as a Rem 700 Classic in 257 Roberts.

He was also told by whomever planted this bug to use Partitions. He couldn't get the accuracy he wanted from them in either rifle, but he did get accuracy from Sierra GameKings.

He had some bad outcomes with them with the Bob, and the one and only deer I've ever shot and failed to recover with a rifle was shot with that 6mm Remington. That deer was later killed, and shot placement was about perfect. The bullet simply didn't penetrate.

So, Dad sold both rifles.

About 5 or 6 years ago, Dad gave me his dad's deer rifle, an M70 Fwt in 257 Roberts. My grandfather was, truly, a lousy hunter, but the last deer he killed was killed with that rifle, and I pushed the deer to him too. Dad gave me the rifle for Christmas one year. I set about proving it could work, and it works great! My daughter carried it for her first deer season this year.

I know where both of those rifles that Dad sold wound up. The 6mm wound up with a hunting buddy who has agreed to swap it to me for a Rem 700 Classic in an "oddball caliber." So, when I find them, I need to look closely at them, as I need one for trade fodder.

That same buddy knows who owns the 700 Classic I killed my first deer with. I have asked him to relay that I would like the chance to buy it if/when it is ever for sale.

I really want that 6mm back, though. I know that rifle can do splendidly. I wish I had it now for my left-handed daughter, to be honest.

Back