7mm Rem vs 7mm Weatherby

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
Is there any real difference between these two?

I have really considered getting one of these with a 4.5-12x scope for punkin chunkin.

Also with a 160-168 grain bullet it would be a great long range (200-500) yard elk rifle.

I have seen lots of game taken with both and even took two mule deer with a borrowed 7mm Rem Mag several years back.

I am leaning towards the Remington, personally feeling like to see a step up in power one must go to an STW or RUM.

Any advice? Your $0.02 is welcome!

I own both. I suspect that others here like Fotis have or do own both as well.

The Wby can supposedly get 100+fps more, but it's almost too close to call. I think that differences in reloading as well as rifles could easily make it closer than that. I can get the 3200fps out of a Weatherby that Hornady 154 Interbond ammo specs, for example, but I've never seen near that from my 7mm Rem Sendero.

The Weatherby double radius shoulder looks cool, you can't debate that part of it. However, there is a lot more brass available for the Remington as well as a lot more rifles.

If I were to buy a 7mm, I"d do as others here and look hard at a 280AI as an option.

OH, and for any of them you may have to spec a slightly faster twist barrel with heavier bullets. My 7mm Remington shoots 168 Bergers well, Dad's 7mm Wby stainless prefers 150gr bullets but not 160 or 168s while his other one shoots Wby factory 175gr loads very well. YMMV.

If not a 280 Ackley....then either a 28 Nosler or an STW.

The RUM is just way yonder too overbore for me.

Given the choice- I'd opt for a 7mmRM. More economical components, factory ammo, and rifles.

The Weatherby is a great round and has another 3gr or so of case capacity...but any performance gains are going to be far more theoretical than actual.

Factory Weatherby ammo will be loaded considerably hotter than 7mmRM and you'll have perhaps 200fps more velocity. With good hand loads you can improve the 7RM considerably, the Weatherby? Probably not so much.

If you're a Wby fan- the 7WBY is great. If you just want a nice 7mm to reach out I'd take the 7RM. The 28Nosler and the 7RUM will outperform either but they're really getting overbore.

My euromark 7mm Bee

154 HORNADY SP... 74.5/RL22... 3300 fps

The 7mm WBY is a fine cartridge and is very well behaved. As others have opined, the 7mm RM is more economical and only marginally behind the 7mm WBY in velocity. With handloads, either will accomplish all you envision. As hodgeman suggests, I'd tend more toward the 7mm RM on purely economical grounds. However, it must be stated again that the 7mm WBY is a fine cartridge that can be made to deliver fine accuracy.

I think it's sort of strange that the 7WBY isn't more popular...

Folks were more or less clamoring for a high speed 7mm prior to the introduction of the 7RM...apparently all but ignoring the 7WBY on purpose. Perhaps it was Roy Weatherby, perhaps Warren Page. But there was a lot of interest in a brand new fast 7mm and the Weatherby was already there all along. The 7RM was introduced and blew a whole bunch of very good cartridges right off the market.

Technically, it's a better cartridge that is completely overshadowed by its inferior.

I think it dealt specifically with cost of brass and rifles. That's what killed to 7mm bee. Had it been chambered in rem win sako etc at that time there was no need for the 7mm REM MAg

That's kind of what I was figuring fellas. I think I will go with the Rem Mag as I am not looking to spend more on brass etc. I feel like its a 300 H&H vs WSM comparison between the two.

Flip a coin essentially.

The Factory 1 in 9" twist should be fine with the 160 Sierras and 175 Partitions right?

Thanks again.

I think the Weatherby's suffered do to the twist they were barreled with a little. They were twisted pretty slow for the longer bullets folks wanted to use the big 7's for. Wby still puts a 1-10 on their rifles which is a little odd to me since they put a 1-9.5 in the same rifles in a Rem Mag.

I'm with the others though, the 7mm WBY is good as it gets for case design. Long neck and near optimum case capacity. I went at it a little different with the 7mm Mashburn of Warren Page vintage but it does the same thing.

Hard to beat any of the 7mms out there. Especially when you compare them next to their 30 cal counterparts. I like the 30 cal magnums but to gain over the 7mms you really have to stoke them pretty hard.

That and you have to deal with a lot more recoil from a .30 magnum.

The .30 Magnums are good weapons but I feel like the kick of the various 7mm Mags (of standard vs. lightweight persuasion) is about that of my .30-06 with 180 grain bullets.

Totally tolerable.

hodgeman":1m9unw2l said:
I think it's sort of strange that the 7WBY isn't more popular...

Folks were more or less clamoring for a high speed 7mm prior to the introduction of the 7RM...apparently all but ignoring the 7WBY on purpose. Perhaps it was Roy Weatherby, perhaps Warren Page. But there was a lot of interest in a brand new fast 7mm and the Weatherby was already there all along. The 7RM was introduced and blew a whole bunch of very good cartridges right off the market.

Technically, it's a better cartridge that is completely overshadowed by its inferior.

Yes, I really like the 7mm Rem mag, but that Weatherby...

140gr and 160gr Nosler data with RE22 shows the same velocity for both, but the Rem Mag gets there with less powder. The reality I have found, the 7mm Rem mag Data is Not correct. It runs 150fps Less with 140gr but Very close with 160gr, Minus 30fps. In 26" barrels

The Bee will give you a little more performance. Is it worth it, that's up to the individual. In my life I have owned and killed game with several 7 mm's. None have been a Bee. I think that Dr Mike, says it well

The .270 WBY preceded the 7mm by several years and the early adopters bought .270 WBY's. Plus then 7mm Rem Mag came along and changed many people's minds about metric designated cartridges.

I have owned both. Practically speaking, not much difference between the 2. Big advantage with 7mm Rem due to availability of brass and excellent, less expensive factory ammo.

But that Weatherby still has the mystique!

This is all very interesting. I've been thinking of a build using the action of a Winchester M70 stainless classic I have in .338 Win. Mag. That gun flat out beats me to death, is inaccurate as hell in the chintziest tupperwear piece of garbage excuse for a stock from a factory that one could imagine. I replaced the factory stock with a McMillan but no help there. Still beat me to death and accuracy was still terrible. Thinking I was flinching a friend had me look elsewhere and the loaded either live rounds or an empty and I wasn't flinching.
With that as an opener, I've been thinks of making it into a 7MM Rem. Mag. all weather rifle so a simple rebarrel, clean the trigger up a bit, glass bed, Decelerator pad and a 26" stainless barrel to match my M70 .300 Win. Mag.
I have Ruger #1s in 7MM Rem. Mag. and .300 Win. mag. and I like the velocity I get from them as well as from the M70. I haven't found the 26" barrel on the .300 Win. M70 to be a handicap so it should not be a problem on the 7MM Mag. It should reach out and touch something. :lol:
Paul B.

Everyone wants something different! IMO the market is over flooded with too many different cartridges for any caliber.
I have always admired the 7mm bullets as being superior flyers and have owned a number of 7mm Magnum rifles. What I found out is 100 fps, either way makes no appreciable difference in down range effectiveness. Years ago, I settled on the 280Rem for a number of reasons. Economy was not the least of these, as I do hand load all my ammo. My longest shot on deer was at 408 yards on a large muley. The bullet took him in the chest. He staggered 10 yds. and was stone dead when I got to him. Fortunately, I had a fence post and flat rock and my back pack, with which to create a very solid rest.
Others want to make longer shots, and for them, the magnum 7mm rounds may make a different, beyond my paltry 400 yd. shot. However inside of my own range limits, the 280Rem is the best for me. Being a lic. dealer, I have owned and shot most of them.
Best,
Steven

Back